Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

oregon visit - looking for advice

Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 PM
.F1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oregon visit - looking for advice

Hey guys. a friend and I are making a trip down to Oregon from Vancouver BC from Jul 1 - 4. It's been years since I've been and so I'm looking for some advice on places to stay and some nice driving roads.

Basically we'll spend Thursday night in Portland. Fri night along the coast (Cannon Beach most likely) and probably Sat night in Seattle. Drive back to Vancouver on Sunday.

So few questions:

Where would you suggest we stay in Portland? Looking for something moderately priced but more importantly, located somewhere close to some nice pubs or lounges with a good atmosphere. Also, ideally I'd like to hit up the Nike store at Woodburn Outlets during the day.

Any recommended routes from Portland to Cannon Beach? The idea is spend the 1st half of the day driving and the 2nd half lounging on the beach.

Recommended route from Cannon Beach back up to Seattle?

And if you guys know of a place to stay in Seattle as well, I'd be open to that.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide
Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont know the Portland area well enough to suggest places to stay unfortunately.

If you dont mind a bit of meandering and out-of-the-way driving, the route we usually take from Portland to Astoria is a fantastic twisty road with pretty technical corners. The only downside is that it's often patched for potholes pretty poorly so it's rough in areas.

It dumps you out in Astoria where you can then re-route back down the coast to Cannon Beach.

Half a day of driving maybe?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

For the area you are visiting, I think the best bet is actually to stay in the Beaverton area. It's a suburb of Portland.

Its large enough to have plenty local bars around, and its located right on Highway 26 which is the highway you would probably take to get to Cannon Beach, and is also close to highway 217 which would be a direct drive south to Woodburn to go shopping.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM

Ace Hotel has a good location, some of the rooms are in the $100 range. Super trendy and if your bringing a lady she will like it. You can walk to most places, the pearl is a little far. Looks like it may be book though.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
.F1

Originally Posted by Sabre,Jun 21 2010, 09:08 AM
If you dont mind a bit of meandering and out-of-the-way driving, the route we usually take from Portland to Astoria is a fantastic twisty road with pretty technical corners. The only downside is that it's often patched for potholes pretty poorly so it's rough in areas.

It dumps you out in Astoria where you can then re-route back down the coast to Cannon Beach.
Thanks for the tips. That sounds ideal. Do you have a link or a map I can take a look at?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
.F1

Originally Posted by chun,Jun 21 2010, 09:37 AM
Ace Hotel has a good location, some of the rooms are in the $100 range. Super trendy and if your bringing a lady she will like it. You can walk to most places, the pearl is a little far. Looks like it may be book though.
That would have been perfect. Trendy is good.

But you're right, sadly it appears to be booked for the dates I need.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by .F1,Jun 21 2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. That sounds ideal. Do you have a link or a map I can take a look at?
sendng you an S2ki email with some info
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM

If you want to stay in Beaverton/Hillsboro, I'd try to stay close to the Tanasbourne shopping mall.

Fortunately, there's a plethora of excellent driving roads nearby. I drove this a few weeks ago and had a blast.

http://tinyurl.com/27ttnsu
Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you see anyone in one of those goofy Honda convertibles AVOID THEM. They're probably rabid.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:29 PM
G

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudMusic,Jun 21 2010, 04:03 PM
If you see anyone in one of those goofy Honda convertibles AVOID THEM. They're probably rabid.

and will chase you down the road to put a card on your car.

Quick Reply: oregon visit - looking for advice