Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Oregon Caves 2-day Drive

Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oregon Caves 2-day Drive

Oregon Caves Drive

Saturday and Sunday August 3rd & 4th

NOTE: This drive requires hotel reservations - Information is below
Yes, this is a bit early to post a late summer drive. However, the Oregon Caves is a popular destination – especially for Californians. In order secure good rates and to block rooms for our group it was important to do this early. The chateau has only 23 rooms and we were able to block 15 of those (with more opening up hopefully)! There is only one overnight facility at the caves, so the choices are limited for us.

The chateau has limited types of rooms available - Some are more expensive than others.
This is first-come first served!
You may want to converse with other members about splitting a room that has multiple beds to save on cost!

When you sign up for the drive, you will be added to the "Waiting" list. Once you confirm your reservation AND room type to a CO, you will be moved to the Reserved list and be officially added to the drive.

This two-day drive will take us to Southern Oregon to see the Oregon Caves National Monument and to stay in an historic 1930’s chateau. On our return Sunday we will drive through the Redwood Forest to the California coast and then up the rugged Southern Oregon coastline a ways before heading home toPortland!

DRIVE RATING:

Driving = 3 (out of 5)

Scenery = 4 (out of 5)

Note: This is an unusually long drive for us and involves a LOT of driving – especially on Sunday!

SATURDAY – 6 Driving Hours & 283 Miles

We will depart from the Portland area at and head south through the Willamette Valley and then over the various passes of Southern Oregon.

There will be a group lunch along the way. Somewhere…

As we approach the Oregon Caves National Monument we will encounter some nice twisty roads – lots of switchbacks and turns on this road..

The Oregon Caves National Monument was created in 1909 and sits high up on on 480 acres in the Siskyou mountains of Southern Oregon.

..... ..

Our stay will be at the Oregon Caves Chateau, a 1930’s rustic chateau.

..... ..

Again, your CO’s have been able to negotiate some special room rates (See Below)!

After check-in we will meet up and take a special group tour of the Oregon Caves. The 3 to 5 million year old caves offer a captivating half-mile walk through a myriad of chambers and rooms with fascinating formations. And, of course, there are plenty of names - the Imagination Room, soda straw stalagmites, the Petrified Forest room, the Banana Grove, the River Stix, Paradise Lost, the massive Ghost Room and more.

Following the tour there will be a group dinner in the very nice dining room which has sweeping views of… well, the forest. The meals here are wonderful, too!

This chateau is remote! While there is electricity, there is little more, so don’t bother bringing along your electronic toys. There is no elevator, no air conditioning, no TV, no radio, no telephones and no cell phone service. But it is beautifully quiet and peaceful! (there is a single pay phone in the lobby if you can still remember how to use one).

..... ..

The Chateau is not handicap-friendly or accessible! The tour requires a fair amount of hiking.

SUNDAY – 9 Driving Hours & 422 Miles

Following an early group breakfast, we will load up and headon down the mountain.

Our journey will take us west through the RedwoodForest of Northern California.

As we approach the coast we will turn north on Highway 101 and follow the California and then scenic Southern Oregon coast.

There will be a group lunch along the way.

Following lunch, we are off again through the Coast Rangeand then back up the I-5 corridor to Portland.

The drive will “officially” end when we reach I-5and you are free to find your own way back to Portland (point the car north and then go ).

---> The Drive Plan PDF will be e-mailed to the participants on Thursday, August 1

Weather Watch - Portland: HERE

Weather Watch - Cave Junction, OR: HERE

RESERVED - 6

... Aaron (Sabre – CO) & Shonda
... Ira (#172CR)
... Dean (deanr)
... Chris (id003)
... Huy (S2k RN)
... Doug (Tual06s2k)

REMEMBER - YOU WILL NOT BE "ON THE DRIVE" UNTIL YOU MAKE A RESERVATION!
Waiting List - 1
... Ken (Ken1997tl)

All participants must show proof of a valid driver’s license and current insurance coverage. In addition they must agree to the Drive rules and sign a waiver of liability form.
Thanks!

Ira and Aaron

...................S2Ki Oregon - The fun starts here! ...

This drive will be on rain or shine due to the reservations made.

Note:
This is the Oregon S2000 Owners Forum. As such, our drives are exclusively for S2000s and their owners in Oregon and S.W. Washington.

Our drives are not open to the general public, which includes those who used to own an S2000, hope to own one, those with similar cars, or those who think the Drive we've put together sounds fun and would like to tag along, etc.

We are not trying to be snobby here, but are trying to clarify what we are about – The fun and adventure of Honda S2000 ownership.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Community Organizer

Contact Ira or Aaron to get the reservation number and information on the room block.
When you make your reservation, pick one of the rooms from the following list:

If we are able to book all the rooms listed, we will receive an additional $20 off the price of each room.

AFTER MAKING YOUR RESERVATION
PM IRA OR AARON WITH YOUR CONFIRMATION # AND THE TYPE OF ROOM YOU PICKED SO WE CAN UPDATE THIS LIST!
IF YOU ARE SPLITTING A ROOM WITH ANOTHER *DRIVER* INCLUDE THAT INFORMATION SO WE CAN KEEP TABS ON HOW MANY CARS WE HAVE GOING
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after 5+ years of ownership I'm considering going on my first 2 day drive! Don't put me on the list or anything just yet but I will this over coming months..

Evan
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Community Organizer

Thats great Evan!

Just dont think too long. I was only able to make them block the rooms until June 1st. After that they open back up to general reservations
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Chatting with my wife about this later today. We're in Medford so we'd probably just meet you all around Grants Pass or so.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Please send me the reservation number. And count me in (unofficially at least until I can book a room...)

Dean

Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

These rooms and rates are only held until JUNE 1st! I Highly recommend calling and getting a room reserved, your credit card is not charged until you check out.

Ira
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put me down.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My room is reserved.

Dean
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in a vacation request, hopefully should know by next week if I can get the time off.

Quick Reply: Oregon Caves 2-day Drive