Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

I got my first ticket

Old 05-07-2006, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got my first ticket

I got my first ticket in my S this weekend. Actually my first ticket ever. This guy in front of me was going 45 in a 55 until the passing lane. He then started speeding up so I wouldnt pass him. Anyways I got clocked doing 90 in a 55. Damage...$427

Oh well, lesson learned. Here is a pick I took right after I got the ticket.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once the trooper sees 2 cars going over the speed limit it's almost always the case that he will issue the citation to the one going the fastest. It can be truely annoying that they only see a snapshot of the traffic context in which the speed variance occurs, but technically that's all that counts in traffic court

BTW - I have encountered far too many drivers like the one you describe and I really wish I could have a hood mounted bazooka for such occasions. I do think a train air horn might help if applied at length while close behind but being able to pretty much vaporize the sucker would be far more gratifying
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by AlanL,May 7 2006, 06:44 PM
Once the trooper sees 2 cars going over the speed limit it's almost always the case that he will issue the citation to the one going the fastest. It can be truely annoying that they only see a snapshot of the traffic context in which the speed variance occurs, but technically that's all that counts in traffic court

BTW - I have encountered far too many drivers like the one you describe and I really wish I could have a hood mounted bazooka for such occasions. I do think a train air horn might help if applied at length while close behind but being able to pretty much vaporize the sucker would be far more gratifying
Yeah next time I will use my bazooka
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 AM

Dang sorry to hear that ... good luck in court if you go!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanL,May 7 2006, 06:44 PM

Yeah, sorry man . I would definatly try to plead not guilty and hope the officer doesn't show up to court. If he does, then just change your plea to no contest and ask for a safe driving course to try and avoid this going on your record
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by spapdx,May 8 2006, 09:15 AM

Yeah, sorry man . I would definatly try to plead not guilty and hope the officer doesn't show up to court. If he does, then just change your plea to no contest and ask for a safe driving course to try and avoid this going on your record
If I plead not guilty and he shows up will they slap me harder? I don't want it to get worse. The trooper was a pretty straight arrow kind of guy so I am pretty sure he would show up for court. If I just appear in front of the judge can I request the safe driving school or will they not even consider it?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 AM

Sounds like a trap to me.

I've seen this happen way too many times. They use an under cover police to target any type of car that they think might speed, and they get in front of you, and go just slow enough to upset the entrapped driver, while having a marked patrol car waiting for you at the end of the passing lanes.

Another thing to be carefull of is in Beaverton, and Hillsboro. They like to use undercover cops in civilian outfit, and they would just cross random cross walks when they see a car coming. And if these cars don't stop, 2 cop cars jumps out of no where and gives them a ticket.

I guess there's really nothing stopping them from doing things like this, but it does get very annoying.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,May 8 2006, 09:32 AM
If I plead not guilty and he shows up will they slap me harder? I don't want it to get worse. The trooper was a pretty straight arrow kind of guy so I am pretty sure he would show up for court. If I just appear in front of the judge can I request the safe driving school or will they not even consider it?
Really depends on which City Court you end up going to.

My pass experience is, to not enter a plead, but request a court date, so you can state your case infront of a judge. Make sure you mention to him its your first ticket. Most likely he will offer you some kind of high risk driving course. (90 in a 45 is a lot)

If he doesn't, then request it so it doesn't appear that you're just trying to get off from the ticket. (personal experience)
Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,May 8 2006, 10:32 AM
I have asked for it twice, and only gotten it once... I think it depends on the Judge and how available the class is in your area.

I doubt they will be harder on you if you go not guilty and change your plea, but then again I haven't done it for years and I think the courts have definatly caught onto it, but then again I have talked to officers that say you should do it because "it cant hurt to try".
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 AM

It sure did feel like a trap. The guy who was going slow in front of me was driving a white Taurus and was like 40ish.

When the trooper pulled me over he said "Do you know how fast the car you were passing was going?".

I said "yes, about 60".

Then he said "I understand you were trying to pass but it was not necessary if the other car was going over the posted 55".

Also, this was all WAY out in the country between Redmond and Prineville. It is a 24 mile road with this being the only passing lane for 17 more miles. Damn pig traps