Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Which dealer to go to for repairs?

Old 01-20-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which dealer to go to for repairs?

Just wondering if anybody knows which dealership around the Portland area has the best mechanic for our s2ks? I had a couple of tsb's to take of, and don't know where to take it Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 04:58 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll move this to the Portland forum for you - you might PM PrimoAP1 and see if he has a suggestion for you.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:16 PM

If you have legitimate TSB's and your car is under the umbrella of problematic cars for that bulletin (usually certain VIN numbers) than I would suggest Beaverton Honda. I know two of the mechanics there who are both very skilled with Honda/Acura. One of them owned an FI S2000 for quite some time and fabricated and built the parts for his car.

With that said, the dealership has one of the highest $ amount of warranty work done each year and Honda has them under a high powered microscope. If you feel like your clutch is starting to slip, for example, don't take it there. They will likely tell you they "cannot duplicate problem". If your car won't go into gear and is buzzing loudly you may have a chance.

I know this sounds conflicting but I hope it helps with your situation. Whatever you do- do NOT print out the TSB's but reference them while talking with Service. Also, try spreading your issues out over a couple trips to the dealer versus unloading all your worries at once.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:10 AM

I can put in a plug for the quality of service at Beaverton Honda, as I've taken both my wife's car and the CR-V there. I do all my own work on the S2K, but I've chatted with their service manager, Rick Brasseaux, and got a good feeling about him. He seems to know the S pretty well. Unless your car is heavily modded, I wouldn't worry too much about going in for a TSB. If your car's legitimately covered by a TSB and its actually manifesting the symptoms, I don't think you'll have a problem. My two cents.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Primoap1, you must be talking about Andy that had a black turboed s, right? I don't know him personally, I have a friend that ran a shop with him a couple years back. That was a big influence on my purchase and really fast. My biggest problem is the vibration in the rear of the car when given full throttle. Also it has grinded in 2nd when down shifting (every once in awhile), and it is tough to get in reverse sometimes (especially when cold). The only mods done are 18" wheels, espilier springs, k&n filter, and spugen exhaust. Do you guys think this is going to create a problem? I guess I can put the stock air filter in, but that's about it. Thanks again, I really appreciate the quick feedback.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 AM

No, I don't think anyone will carp about those mods. Signs of an enthusiast, yes. Causal or even indicative, no. I thought Andy moved onto one of the other dealerships in the chain.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 AM

cool, that was quick. You guys are great.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:57 AM

No, Andy is still there and the current Service Mgr. is Don Waters who used to be at Ron Tonkin Acura with his brother (also now works at Beaverton Honda). I have known them all for quite some time myself... Back when I used to drive my JDM conversion Integra R

I just went into Beaverton Honda last week for the EXACT same problems you just described and they even turned ME away. I am stock and have a great rapport with almost everyone in the Service dept. They will likely just tell you it is a high strung rough driving roadster. Something needs to be definately going bad for them to be able to help- at least on my 2002.

You may be in a different boat as your car is a 2000, correct? The TSB's are certainly covered for your year.

Funny thing is I have an appt with them tonight because when turning my car on last night the fuel pump made this terrible sound- like sifening from a porta-potty. I had nearly a full tank of gas and have ONLY ever run Premium Chevron fuel. It threw a CEL the day before which came up as the fuel sytem code- I figured it was just a loose gas cap tightened it and went on my way. Until I heard this terrible sound...

I'll keep you all posted...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:21 PM

TSB's are different from recalls, and once you're past the 3yr 36k mile warrenty, they do not have to repair if they don't want to.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:14 PM

My car is still under hondacare till 100k and it is a 2000. I can't believe they turned you away. Maybe I'll try calling ron tonkin honda on 122nd. I hope they are more helpful, because this vibration is getting bad. It makes the car not as fun to drive. And that's the whole reason I bought the car. You guys think they'll give the same excuse?

Quick Reply: Which dealer to go to for repairs?