Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Also out of the country

Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a great time Larry. I am certainly glad to hear that traffic is normal there. Getting tailgated or cut off by a train would be !
Old 09-26-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are back from our Canadian train adventure. This morning we flew back from Prince Rupert B.C.

Here are some more pictures we took from the train the last couple of days:

We saw many beautiful mountains and glaciers, wildlife and miles of spectacular wilderness! The two main trees are very dark blue/green Spruce trees mixed with beautiful yellow Larch. Throw in some light green Ash and Cottonwood and you have an amazing Fall experience.

Now what is THIS about the temporary CO designee stand-in spelling VTEC wrong?! Oh, the embarrassment!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:01 PM

Very nice pictures Larry! How much do the train tickets cost for a trip like that if you don't mind me asking?
Hi Brian - not at all.

The train from Vancouver B.C. to Prince Rupert was about $1,000 per person. That was for 3 days and included all meals. It also incuded the sleeping accomodations on the train from Vancouver to Jasper.

The train overnighted in Prince George on the way up, and we stayed in a hotel there. They do it this way so you don't miss any of the scenery.

We flew back which was expensive. My preference would have been to take the Alaska Marine Highway ferry back to Seattle from Prince Rupert. That is through the inland passage along the coast of Canada. When I planned this I thought there would be the first Coast Drive this weekend, and needed to get back for that.

It was really a spectacular trip, though! I used to drive this route when I lived in Alaska: It was 2,500 miles in three days (of COURSE I obeyed the speed limits! )

By the way, by comparison, in three weeks I will be taking a train from Beijing to Hong Kong. It is the same distance we just rode in Canada. However, that train will cost me just $83 and that includes my sleeping room!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 PM

The pictures are absolutely beautiful!!

Thanks Larry for the info. I will be showing my wife this tomorrow morning. We talked about some kind of train trip in the past for vacation, I just had no idea something cool like this was available.

And wow, Beijing to HK is gonna be a haul for sure! I'm very jealous!! Will be visiting Shanghai while you are in China? These days, that seem to be one of the must visit city in China now.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by VintageMac,Sep 26 2008, 06:54 PM
Now what is THIS about the temporary CO designee stand-in spelling VTEC wrong?! Oh, the embarrassment!
I know! I'm so terrible!

Those are very beautiful pictures. Maybe I can convince Aaron to take a trip up there one of these days. 1k for all meals and accommodations does not seem that bad of a price.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 PM
G

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks liek you had a great time. When I was a teen my family rode the train from DC to Portland (with stops for a few days in Chicago and Montana) and a second time from New Orleans to Seatttle. The train is an amzing way to travel. You get to see things you can't see any other way.

I am glad you had a good time and returned safely.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Will you be visiting Shanghai while you are in China? These days, that seem to be one of the must visit city in China now.
My embroidered patch supplier is located just outside of Shanghai and we traveled there last year by train. The city is spectacular with it's bridges and buildings and maglev train to the airport. It isn't on my itinerary for this trip.