Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

Oh, God, I love tornado season!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh, God, I love tornado season!

You've been warned.
So, two nights ago, when we had all of that record breaking rainfall, near-tornado activity throughout the state (mostly central), I wasn't having the best day. I tried to stay productive, but it was futile. The whole day just seemed to suck. I decided to take a nap and sleep through it (classic sign of depression). The rain helped me seeing as how i love storms.
All of the sudden, the wailing of the tornado sirens awaken me!
1st thought: Son of a biotch! I can't win today!
2nd thought: I have to get across Norman to get my car in my GF's garage NOW!!
I grab my clothes and head over there. I arrive to see her car still in the drive even though she is still at work. I have no keys to her old Beetle. She is using her grandmother's car since hers is sputtering and it sounds like there is a hole in the muffler. I usually push it up and down the drive when i need to park closer or further from the street. I debated pushing it into the street, but someone would've undoubtedly come by and T-boned it while i was moving my car into the drive.
Strategy #2: Drive around it. Did i mention this was a horrible idea? Yeah, well, it was.
"I drove across it when it was sheer ice." True story. "I have an awesome LSD. It'll be fine." These were just a couple of the thoughts i forced myself into thinking.
I get up to about 5 MPH and go just between her car and a tree there in her yard. All is well. I cut the wheel to the right, but don't turn; all isn't so well. I start to slow down; F me! I get stuck. Luckily for myself and anyone that happen to be within killing distance, there was no hail.
I went out after it had calmed down and lodged some boards under the tires. No dice. They were too slick and the mud didn't help any. They'll get a Jeep Cherokee out of icy mud, but that weighs considerably more. I tried again in the morning, but it was the same story. I had to go buy a towing rope since i don't have one, nor do i have any friends with trucks around here. I used the grandma's Mercury Sable to tow out my S. Only one car passed while i was doing it (which limited my embarrassment). It all turned out okay in the end. GF is crazy pissed because there are a few ruts in her yard. But the deepest part is only about 8" deep. And she rents!
Anyway, that's my story. Any other good ones yet?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Doesn't have to be a recent story. Come on! Make me feel slightly less stupid.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 AM

um last week it was raining so hard from okc to tulsa that my car would stutter at 4300 rpm yay for water injection..... as i was leaving a tornado touched down on the kilpatrick and somewhere else. that was the thickest rain storm i have ever driven in... (end of short story)
Old 04-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Holy crap. A reply!
2 years ago, i was going back to Norman from my parent's house. Worst rain I've ever driven in. Luckily i had a passenger (extra weight) to help me keep from hydroplaning. I passed a semi and about 15 feet in front of him, we slid across 3/4 of the lane in front of it before recovering control. The passenger now owes me their life!
It doesn't really compare to a tornado, but it still wasn't very fun.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM

in a cheap attempt to out do you i have another story/... sept of last year i drove back home to VA in my s2000. welll on the way back something weird/awful happened. the part where I-40 passes through arkansas has LOTS of rice patties. Well it was raining so hard that the frogs in the rice patties couldnt take it and started to seek higher ground. well I-40 was the higher ground..... i smashed too many frogs to count (like leaves in fall) it was awful. so yeah even two weeks after the trip i was still taking the blood off my white car.....
Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 PM

.............You win!
This isn't anything bad even, but that reminds me of a time when a friend was driving me around. We were a little f-ed up, but they were alright to drive. Anyway, out of town a little ways the road is very secluded. As we go over a small hill, we see that we're going about 50 MPH into a massive tumbleweed pile as it blows across the road. We were in the Lexus SUV. It went half way up the windshield. That's ~5 feet or so. We made it through, but i was so damn happy that i hadn't driven that night. My S would've never forgiven me.
But again, you win! You even get a gold star!