Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

motor mounts

Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mounts

ok so i have been experiencing some weird hesitation and abnormal shaking coming from the engine bay and shimmying throughout the entire car at idle or at WOT. thought i would replace the O2 sensor and while i was under there, checkout my motor mounts... i got to looking at the drivers side mount and it turns out the nut that keeps the motor from popping off the mount fell off and allowed the rubber to separate on that side.
so bam! i figured it out! it allowed the passengers side to compensate for all the extra load that was to be had and fatigued that one also. i then called Touge Factory, which are amazing people to deal with, and ordered a set of Megan Racing motor and transmission mounts and installed them as soon as i received them.
took the car out for a spin and it felt %200 better! idles WAY smoother and doesnt shake as anomaly as it used to.
thought id let you guys and gals know how i felt about it!
thanks for reading!
-Chris
Old 12-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Received 181 Likes on 144 Posts

I was wondering what "MR" stood for (besides Mid-engine, RWD... which didn't make sense in that context). Now I know!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 AM

haha! its just easier sayin' MR instead of spelling it out all the time.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM

better replace your diff mounts or you will be running into new issues SUPER fast...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Are the new mounts much stiffer than the OEMs?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by rx7ands2k,Dec 17 2008, 05:02 PM
better replace your diff mounts or you will be running into new issues SUPER fast...
already ordered! haha! thank you for looking out for me though!
as far as these being stiffer? yes! much much better transfer of power to the ground at only the cost of a bit more vibration throughout the car (good vibration though )
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 180tumbleweed,Dec 18 2008, 02:55 AM
already ordered! haha! thank you for looking out for me though!
as far as these being stiffer? yes! much much better transfer of power to the ground at only the cost of a bit more vibration throughout the car (good vibration though )
pulling the motor out in a few weeks and was going to put OEM mounts, these look like a better choice!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Cool! what for if i might ask? if you are looking for something a little stiffer than OEM then go with these but if its a performance aspect your leaning towards, i would recommend the innovative mounts. they look way nicer than OEM or even the Megans. just judging by the pictures, i can almost guarantee that they are way stiffer. im not complaining about mine because they are meant to be more of a street/daily driver based mount but if i was wanting something more towards race then i would get these: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14969327 (yours will look like this most likely... mine did!)

If you want the Megans call Touge Factory and ask for Mike. tell him "Chris from Oklahoma sent me". i do all of my ordering through them and they have always been very, very good to work with.
http://www.tougefactory.com/

good luck and please let me know how it all turns out for you!
-Chris
Old 12-19-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 180tumbleweed,Dec 19 2008, 11:19 AM
Cool! what for if i might ask?
Thanks for the review, links and contact!

I'm putting in a new Laskey built long block and Full Race turbo. But this is my daily driver also and was thinking of just OEM motor mounts. I also considered the 60A innovate motor mounts too (they're also local to me in Socal) but didn't want too much vibration in the cabin.

I guess it's a toss up between the megans and the innovative with 60A durometer inserts. They also have the lifetime warranty which is comforting. I haven't exactly which way. I might give innovative a call to find out more about it!

I'll keep you posted!

EDIT: are you getting ANY vibrations inside the cabin at all? Do they offer any warranty?
thanks again
Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 PM

wow! new built block AND turbo? LUCKY!!! haha! with the Megan's, i don't have to much vibration at all unless im under hard acceleration. idle is quiet as well as cruising and even under mild throttle (like passing someone). if your going with a built motor and turbo just save yourself the time, headache and money down the road and just spring for the innovative. not saying the Megan's will tear apart anytime soon but if the innovative have a lifetime warranty and your putting that much more strain on your drivetrain, you might want the extra added protection that the innovative are sure to bring to the table.
please do keep mer up to date!
later days
-Chris

Quick Reply: motor mounts