Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

I hope some killer roads in CA

Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hope some killer roads in CA

I have a trip back to CA this week where I hope to have some down time to visit a route from LA to Bakersfield. In the past, i have found some nice roads, albeit out the way to get there. I spent a little time planning this trip out. Here is the path I hope to take (SCROLL TO GET THE FULL PERSPECTIVE.... OTHERWISE ZOOM OUT - IT IS QUITE THE SWITCHBACKS WHILE SOOMED IN - TOTAL TRIP 226 MILES):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.115614&z=14

Of course, I will not be doing this in my S.... but will try to get a decent rental to take the trip. May be G35 or something. If this trip turns out to be what I hope, I will let all know.

Not being an OK native, there is one thing I will certainly say.... our roads (besides being in poor shape) really do no lend themselves very well to roadsters. Because of this, I am always looking for the joy of finding the open road to drive on - regardless of the vehicle. The route planned will take me through the coast a while and then go up to 5200 ft and back down. I have done parts of this drive quite a few times before in the past..... spectacular.

Probably worth me renting an S2K for the trip.... and possibly will do that in the future, but just cannot justify on this trip....
Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Admin
Community Organizer

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow, that stretch through the Los Padres National Forest look AMAZING!! Do be safe and report back.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Drive was absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who travels In the area. I will post a few pics once the server is back up. Not a drive you want to lose control on. During my relatively low speed excursion (rental car) I experienced falling boulders on the road (yes like the tv commercials), drift hairpins and multiple road dip crossings with streams of water crossing the road. If you saw a warning sign - heed it Lose control and the consequence is a several hundred to up to a 1000 ft drop to your grave. The best part of the total drive was like Pig trail x 20 in length with much better road quality. Only saw about 20 other vehicles, all going in the other direction. During the best 2 hour stretch, I never had to slow down for vehicles in front of me.

There is a good reason why there are so many s2k's in SOCAL. I have not driven more exciting roads since the Italian Alps.

More to come.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM

all taken with an iPhone. Pictures don't this this justice... best description - imagine turn after turn of the same thing... relentless.... fabulous.

Cornocopia drive - a must do if you are ever in SOCAL.

Linky to pics