Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

I am not happy

Old 04-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glass is easier to clean, but...

The only reason I can think of is the fact that the plastic window is bigger than the glass window. Therefore, blind spots are minimal.
This is soooo true. Watch your back if you drive in heavy traffic. On the other hand, during "spirited driving", WHO NEEDS A REAR WINDOW?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rehile,Apr 28 2006, 06:48 PM
Glass is easier to clean....
Is it All in all cleaning is about the same. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your rear window perfectly How easy was it

Plastic windows are only difficult to clean, if you abuse them, which most of us do. These plastic windows require maintenance like everthing else. When you don't maintain it, then it becomes a PITA. And since the inside rear is such a pain, people don't maintain it properly.

Check out the The Window Clinic thread. This window was around 75% oxidized with 10-15% 'yellowing'. Ready to crack because it was becoming brittle. Had about 50% clarity in general.

Think about this...You don't clean or condition your roof in 2 years. Then it begins to fade, leak, and wear out. Bringing it back to life is a pain.

Same thing.

So... Polish your plastic window 2 X year, plexus at every wash and you'll enjoy a almost "Glass Look" without the blind spots.

As rehile says... On the other hand, during "spirited driving", WHO NEEDS A REAR WINDOW
Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn... Yeah mine needs some work. Scratched to hell, everything's all blurry...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by BoboFatt,Apr 29 2006, 10:01 PM
Damn... Yeah mine needs some work. Scratched to hell, everything's all blurry...
For those scratches... This is the best stuff I've found to date.

Meguire Plastx
Old 05-15-2006, 02:45 PM

On preserving plastic back windows on the s2k, here is a method hat has kept the one on my '01 loking like new for about five years. Let me preface by saying that if you don't have garage space for ANY convertible, you'd just better plan for a new top every few years --- and window more often than that if it's plastic. But if you can protect your top/window by garaging it much of the time, here's a method for preserving your plastic window indefinitely -- and restoring it if dryness and yellowing hasn't become too bad. Wipe the window off with clear water. there is a triangle shaped pad holder for a micro pad with a pivoting handle that will be much help on the inside. Then spray on 303 liberally and even it out (don't wipe off yet) with a damp sponge. Let this sit overnight. 303 soaks in, soften and clears. Next morning, wipe the window down with microfiber, and the little tool I described above. You'll still have smears. Then clean the smears off with Plexus. If the window hasn't been "let go" too long, it should be clear as a bell, and way too flexible to crack when you lower the top. I do this about twice a year.

I do the same "303 soak and wipe" on my top twice a year (less the Plexus), and it has no cracks, splits, or holes because it has remained very flexible. 303 has UV protection of SP 40. UV rays are the main cause of plastic and vinyl disintegration, especially in "sunny and hot Oklahoma" 303 is the preventative.

I know this will do no good for the fellow member with holes and splits in his top, and a cracked rear window. But it may help his replacement parts last MUCH longer.

Hope this helps,
Richard
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by dolebludger,May 15 2006, 04:45 PM
On preserving plastic back windows on the s2k, here is a method hat has kept the one on my '01 loking like new for about five years. Let me preface by saying that if you don't have garage space for ANY convertible, you'd just better plan for a new top every few years --- and window more often than that if it's plastic. But if you can protect your top/window by garaging it much of the time, here's a method for preserving your plastic window indefinitely -- and restoring it if dryness and yellowing hasn't become too bad. Wipe the window off with clear water. there is a triangle shaped pad holder for a micro pad with a pivoting handle that will be much help on the inside. Then spray on 303 liberally and even it out (don't wipe off yet) with a damp sponge. Let this sit overnight. 303 soaks in, soften and clears. Next morning, wipe the window down with microfiber, and the little tool I described above. You'll still have smears. Then clean the smears off with Plexus. If the window hasn't been "let go" too long, it should be clear as a bell, and way too flexible to crack when you lower the top. I do this about twice a year.

I do the same "303 soak and wipe" on my top twice a year (less the Plexus), and it has no cracks, splits, or holes because it has remained very flexible. 303 has UV protection of SP 40. UV rays are the main cause of plastic and vinyl disintegration, especially in "sunny and hot Oklahoma" 303 is the preventative.

I know this will do no good for the fellow member with holes and splits in his top, and a cracked rear window. But it may help his replacement parts last MUCH longer.

Hope this helps,
Richard