Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

Fiesta Bowl

Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fiesta Bowl

Did anyone else want to during that game. It got so bad I started laughing when flags were thrown. I am also getting tired of saying "Wait 'til next year."

!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:06 AM

They were to overrated. Didn't even know how to play with all those flags. Its like there first time. I am glad they wasn't playing for the championship game. lol.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 AM

I loved it. Teams must love it when they see that they get to play OU in a BCS game.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 AM

I bet you loved the spanking we gave you this year too.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickerbill,Jan 3 2008, 09:51 AM
I loved it. Teams must love it when they see that they get to play OU in a BCS game.
Well, OU football helped put the State of Oklahoma on the map and that was an embrassment to the State of Oklahoma! Take off your OSU hat for a minute and think about that. You can still hate OU, which you obviously do, but consider the whole picture. And by the way, nice win for OSU in the Insight Bowl. Congratulations, they helped the Big 12 and the State. They were prepared to play and they wanted to win, unlike the Sooners.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM

I'm used to being a fan of a crappy football team so bedlam didn't bother me too much.

I really don't hate OU. I just hate the bandwagon OU fans that talk all this crap about "their" team, yet have never stepped foot in Norman or probably on any college campus. The ones who paid $10 for a hat at Wal-Mart for their closest connection to the university and live and die by how well OU plays. They are what I hate about OU. That and the media that cater to them in this state.

My team isn't good enough to get the bandwagon trailer park fans that OU gets. I actually feel bad for the real OU alums to have to share their team with those "fans".

If you did a little research on how OU got their football team so good back in the 50's, I'm not sure that I would be proud of that. Yes, it brought attention to the state, but paying players and cheating isn't my idea of good PR for my home state. That cheating attitude continued on for many years up until a few years ago with Rhett and his buddies at Big Red. I do have to give OU credit though. OSU cheated in the 80's too, but obviously OU did a much better job with better results on the field (probably because they had been practicing so long).

I do give OU credit for winning so many Big 12 championships. What they have done under Stoops is impressive. It's just nice to shut up the bandwagon OU fans every once in a while with another BCS choke job. Don't take it personally unless you're a loudmouth bandwagon fan like the ones at Braum's that give my wife crap about paying with an OSU debit card.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by wickerbill,Jan 3 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm used to being a fan of a crappy football team so bedlam didn't bother me too much.

I really don't hate OU. I just hate the bandwagon OU fans that talk all this crap about "their" team, yet have never stepped foot in Norman or probably on any college campus. The ones who paid $10 for a hat at Wal-Mart for their closest connection to the university and live and die by how well OU plays. They are what I hate about OU. That and the media that cater to them in this state.

My team isn't good enough to get the bandwagon trailer park fans that OU gets. I actually feel bad for the real OU alums to have to share their team with those "fans".

If you did a little research on how OU got their football team so good back in the 50's, I'm not sure that I would be proud of that. Yes, it brought attention to the state, but paying players and cheating isn't my idea of good PR for my home state. That cheating attitude continued on for many years up until a few years ago with Rhett and his buddies at Big Red. I do have to give OU credit though. OSU cheated in the 80's too, but obviously OU did a much better job with better results on the field (probably because they had been practicing so long).

I do give OU credit for winning so many Big 12 championships. What they have done under Stoops is impressive. It's just nice to shut up the bandwagon OU fans every once in a while with another BCS choke job. Don't take it personally unless you're a loudmouth bandwagon fan like the ones at Braum's that give my wife crap about paying with an OSU debit card.
No, i don't take it personally. It's football, not life or death!!! It's funny how everyone's perspective is different. I don't consider Bud Wilkinson a cheater and that's who built the legacy, but to each his own. Everyone has fans that didn't attend the university that they root for. I can name 6 here at my office that root for OSU and didn't go to college. So what? Good for them. Glad they derive some pleasure from supporting their chosen school. Hope they give some money to that school.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 PM

So paying players isn't cheating?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by wickerbill,Jan 3 2008, 04:26 PM
So paying players isn't cheating?
Evidence? During Bud's tenure things were quite different than today. There were not the NCAA Rules and they could recruit as many players as they needed. They didn't need to pay players. How do i know? Very close friends with a former player of Bud's and he has given me many stories about those times. But you believe what you want, that's fine.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Equitrak,Jan 3 2008, 05:31 PM
Evidence? During Bud's tenure things were quite different than today. There were not the NCAA Rules and they could recruit as many players as they needed. They didn't need to pay players. How do i know? Very close friends with a former player of Bud's and he has given me many stories about those times. But you believe what you want, that's fine.
There's quite a bit of books and articles written about it, including this book. There were NCAA rules back then, they just had no real way to enforce them.

For three perfect seasons (1954-1956), the Oklahoma Sooners won every football game they played--home or away. This unbreakable record was the product of an outlaw but shrewd head coach named Bud Wilkinson, and the spirited young men he bought and paid for with a "slush fund" of several hundred thousand dollars. "The Undefeated" details all the thrilling action on the field and the immoral debauchary off the field during this record winning streak. It reveals all the behind-the-scenes cheating, tumult, and pressure swirling around it. More than just an historical account of the greatest team money could buy in college football history, "The Undefeated" is also: an absorbing character study of the brilliant, complex, but morally corrupt coach who engineered it all--Bud Wilkinson, the on-field genius whose starched-shirt public persona hid a man of many dark secrets, including excess drinking and, unknown to his wife, a mistress at every away game; an in-depth look at a state and its people, still suffering from a "Grapes of Wrath" hangover and an identity crisis, who took up the Sooners football banner almost as a religious cause; a perceptive examination of racism in 1950's America, as seen through the microcosm of a KKK entrenched Norman, Oklahoma and the Sooners football program. To his credit, Wilkinson recruited and played the first negro in major college football in the South or Southwest, and the ordeals that Dr. Prentice Gautt went through, in order to play, weren't pretty. The story of his struggles is a triumphant one, and demands to be told. "The Undefeated" combines the gritty, evocative period detail of the author's Junction Boys; the athletic heart and determination of a team as chronicled in that book and others such as Friday Night Lights; and the in-depth look at a great coach that made The Junction Boys, Season On the Brink, and When Pride Still Mattered such strong bestsellers.

Amazon Link

Maybe some of the stories are blown out of proportion, but I don't think there's any denying the cheating and stuff that Switzer did and he's a saint in Norman.

We'll probably never agree on this so I'll let it drop. I find it hard to believe though that an OU fan really believes that they achieved all that success back then without any cheating.

Quick Reply: Fiesta Bowl