Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Year round S2K?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Year round S2K?

My wife is wanting to get a CR-V in preparation of child bearing. She owns a '01 GPW S2K that is paid off and wants to keep it. But she wants us to downsize to 3 cars. If she gets a CR-V and I sell my RL, it leaves me with the S2K as a daily driver. The NSX is a perpetual project and is out of this little equation all together.

How many people here use their S2K as a daily driver and how well do I expect to get around within the city with a 2 seater sports car during the winter months? Mind you, I would get a hard top and some Blizzaks if we went this route. The car is totally stock, though we would like to replace the front end with something nicer. (Too bad the Spoon bumper costs more than 2 bodykits put together. )
Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM

If you have a set of snow tires, you could maybe get by in less then 3 inches of snow, but its a challenge and remember to take things slow.

And if the car has a front lip, take it off for the winter.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:watching this thread:
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So basically what you're trying to say is........ you're going to be driving the kid around in the CR-V, while she's riding topdown in the S.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

My S2000 is my daily driver, and I have never had a problem with it. In fact, in heavy snow storms I have been able to weave/maneuver around quite well compared to many other cars. I have an extra set of rims with Blizzaks for the winter, and a hard top.

You can't drive it like you do on a dry sunny day, but it's not much different than driving around in an econobox if you're easy on the gas pedal. Obviously, stay away from VTEC in snow and rain.

I live on the top of a very steep hill in Granville, and it is known to be one of the most difficult streets to navigate in the county during bad weather. I have never had a problem going up or down that hill. My car is stock.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM

I lived with my S as a DD in Cincinnati for two winters. Good snow tires, a hardtop, and never an issue other than having to stop to break the ice off my wipers in the blizzard of Jan '07.

I was, however, glad I had an '06 with VSA that day, once I got to city streets....

It can definitely be done.

Dave
Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 AM

how is it without a hardtop? any special procedures to follow?

i dont have 2 grand right now
Old 08-26-2008, 01:01 PM

i ran mine all last winter no hard top, plan on doing it again this winter

i would not recommend it, but it didn't bother me that much. i just made sure i never left piles of snow sitting on the soft top.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Get a good weatherproof car cover, and make sure to keep the snow brushed off, and you'll be fine without an HT. Chilly, mebbe, but fine.

Snow tires, however, are not optional, as our sumer tires are not rated for temps below 40 degrees, let alone snow. I run a stock Ap1 set of rims with Dunlop Winter Sport M3s in the winter, Ap1 Stock sizes. Good tires! Above 70 degress, however, they officially suck. On a dry 10 degree day, they feel like summer performance tires, tho. Colder the better, for these tires.

And, heaven forbid, please do not put all-seasons on an S. It's terrible. They should be called "no seasons".

Dave
Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM

yea i already have a set of 17" snow tires that i got for free. need a set of rims though.

I think i may sell them because HTG says he knows someone local to us that has a set of ap1 rims and blizzaks cheap.

idk. how big of a difference are the blizzaks from michilen snow tires? btw, they are brand new.

and whats the deal with a car cover? when do i use it and why? ill be garaging it when im at home...

thanks for the info guys, really helpful :thumbsup:

Quick Reply: Year round S2K?