Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

What's that tick?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's that tick?

Hey friends...

So as David kindly said to me when we were leaving Panera after a Sunday meet "welp time to replace that timing chain tensioner"... well I thought he was right as the ticking noise on startup was almost definitely the TCT - it happened not on the first start of the day, but after I had drove a while, turned the car off, and restarted, it would last approximately 2-5seconds and go away - so I planned to replace the TCT or take it apart and sand the worm gear (cause of the issue from my research on here)....

Well yesterday I had the oil changed with Castrol full synethetic 10w30. Now there's no more sound at idle on restarts... but there is a very faint ticking that I can hear at all times (hard to hear with the top down but noticable when the top is up and windows are up) - and it seems to occur between 2.5-4k rpms. Actually it seems very similar to this guy's thread - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry9207897 Also, I'm at 75k miles, at around 65 a valve adjustment was done.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

sidenote - after I put my new wheels/tires on I'm gonna need an alignment - any shops around Dublin/Columbus that are trust worthy on lowered cars? I'm not sure if the dealers have the equipment to facilitate lowered s2000's.

Any comments or advice is much appreciated!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 263 Likes on 88 Posts

It could be the valves, but mine had a ticking and rattle sound when cold. Everyone told me it was the valves. I had them adjusted but they were fine so it was a waste of money.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:51 PM

I should rephrase you can hear at all times - I don't think I hear it at idle. Its mainly between 2.5-4k rpms while driving.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Former Moderator

Tire dicounters on Gemini Parkway has a kid there that is familiar with all sorts of lowering setups. I can't remember his name right now (might be Mike) but he's into Vw and he's restoring an old Beetle. He also had a slammed miata. His buddy/another employee had an S2000 that they setup before he went into the military.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The tct noise will return in about 1500 miles after an oil change. Did you use the OEM filter for the S? Also, I don't think I have heared an S that doesn't tick from the valves to injector noise or something else. The S is easy to align unless the bolts are frozen. The hardest part is getting the car up on the rack with enough boards. Marysville honda has the best rack since it starts at ground level I think. Do the Uk alignment settings.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 AM

David - yes, immke actually did the oil change (they're near by and I'm lazy).. I supplied the oil, they supplied the oem filter and labor. By the way David - did you every try taking the TCT apart and sanding that worm gear, or has anyone here done that?

It's just weird that since switching oil, now I hear that faint tick.... who knows. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the heads up on tirediscounters. I may try NTB on Polaris - I had a 1 year of alignments contract at the Tuttle location, and only used it once on my previous car - so mayyyybe they'll cut me a deal and let me use it on the s2000. I also had my old r32 on koni coils done at the polaris location and they didn't have any problems or issues.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by dalecooper,Aug 23 2010, 08:35 AM
David - yes, immke actually did the oil change (they're near by and I'm lazy).. I supplied the oil, they supplied the oem filter and labor. By the way David - did you every try taking the TCT apart and sanding that worm gear, or has anyone here done that?

It's just weird that since switching oil, now I hear that faint tick.... who knows. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the heads up on tirediscounters. I may try NTB on Polaris - I had a 1 year of alignments contract at the Tuttle location, and only used it once on my previous car - so mayyyybe they'll cut me a deal and let me use it on the s2000. I also had my old r32 on koni coils done at the polaris location and they didn't have any problems or issues.
I like instant gratification. Getting that thing back together is a real pain. The TCT is cheap enough to replace it, especially every 30k miles or so. Sanding the worm gear won't help if the springs have gotten weak. I bet if you put you head on the intake side the tic is louder than on the exhaust side. I can take a listen next time I see you. I remember on my S that then noises were different when I used Mobil 1. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts making noise again.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 AM

Funny thing about mobil 1 ....

Previous owner of my car always used mobil 1 synthetic. Looking through all those TCT threads it seems mobil 1 is terrible for it, and actually people who switched, the ticking would go away (which is the reason I wanted castrol, plus I've always had good luck with castrol). New TCT is around $130 right?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Mine did it with any oil. I think it's just coincidence. There are a higher than average of S2000 owners who use it, so you will have more reports with it. Just a statistical issue. I use to pay about 115 to 120 bucks a few years ago.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting an oil change at a honda dealer does not mean you are getting the correct filter. I went to Honda dealer in Mansfield, they never heard of a special filter. I made him look up the filter anyway, he said "huh" that does take a different one.
They use the same filter on every honda they do an oil change on.
When I first went there to get filters for my wife's CRV a friend of mine that works the parts counter told me the great thing about Hondas' was that they all take the same filter.
Go figure?
That is why I will not take my S there for an alignment.

Quick Reply: What's that tick?