Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

What's Next?

Old 07-16-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sigh...

I wasn't commenting on anyone else's desire to go to an import car show. I was merely saying that I (as in me, as in one person) had no interest in going to such events. I've seen these SEMA shows on TV with my son and the prospect of walking around Columbus looking at nuclear sized rear wings, underbody neon's, front stobe lights, spray painted interiors, NOS kits, and 12,000 watt sub-woofers is not something I (as in me, as in one person) care to see. But that's just my opinion.

On a side note, if anyone cares to know why I am so anti-fast & furious, my nephew was involved in a fatal car accident last year. You see, the message these kids get from these stupid, idiotic movies (IMHO) is that they should speed and street race. In Cincinnati parents are burying their teenage kids at an alarming rate because they do something stupid called "hill-hopping". 120MPH over hills, some in residential areas. I've seen the affects of this 1st hand. My son has riced out his car to the hilt and has beat the crap out of his car driving it too hard. Why? Despite constant cautions from his loving parents, he does it anyway. Why? Because he has watched Fast & Furious about 25 times and is enamored with it. You see, this is how teenagers become "cool". They think they are invincible. Sorry for the lecture, just trying to shed some light on why I have disdain for this sort of B.S. Now, before I get flamed, I am sure there are people out there who heavily mod their cars and don't speed. I know this, so save the keystrokes. Oh, I also lost 3 of my best friends in a car accident in high school. I came this close (fingers 1/4 inch apart) to going with them. When you all have teenagers and you have to worry every day about getting "the call", you'll know what I mean.

P.S. Big Mike, I'm not sure why you had "2nd thoughts" (even before reading Brad's comment). You would have been more than welcome.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My response was to the Youngstown comment.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BIGMike
[B]Glad I am still lurking ???

Was gonna show for the Y-Town event,
Old 07-16-2003, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OhioRacer
[B]Sigh...

I wasn't commenting on anyone else's desire to go to an import car show. I was merely saying that I (as in me, as in one person) had no interest in going to such events. I've seen these SEMA shows on TV with my son and the prospect of walking around Columbus looking at nuclear sized rear wings, underbody neon's, front stobe lights, spray painted interiors, NOS kits, and 12,000 watt sub-woofers is not something I (as in me, as in one person) care to see. But that's just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:19 AM

I agree that peer pressure has alot to do with the actions of kids. But the media also plays a part in their actions. I teach fifth grade(10-11 year olds) and have kids obsessed with the Fast and the Furious. When I had my Si, kids would ask me if I had NOS and that I should put a "big spoiler" on it. I think this movie has sparked the interest in that scene and has trained kids at a young age to be interested in it. That is fine as long as the kid understands that drag racing toward an on-coming train is not a good idea.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:20 AM

F & F + MTV mentality.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:07 AM

Not to change the subject but ...

The July ASCC autocross is happening this Sunday at the Goodyear
Tech center. I plan on being there with my S2000 for once !
If you get bored on Sunday, come on down and watch for an hour
or so and look me up. Event data at www.autox.net

BTW Carmen, do we have any S2KI-like stickers ?

have fun
John
Old 07-16-2003, 04:42 PM

Will the girls be running John?

I'm sure Chloe would get a kick out of seeing them run. Of course the second question would then be, any way to predict what time they will run?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:57 PM

The girls are not running this weekend. We do have a kart only
event on Sat Aug 2 that they will hopefully be at [Should be
entertaining as mom will be the chief engineer that day ].

If you guys get tired of ice cream and tearing up the valley, stop
on by ! Free rides in the S Of course I have no idea when
I will be running, as usual !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waybrig
[B]Will the girls be running John?

I'm sure Chloe would get a kick out of seeing them run.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waybrig
[B]

Yeah Mike, I was actually expecting that you were still lurking and would enjoy seeing someone else take a little heat for a change.

I think I speak for all of the Ohio people here when I say that we welcome your participation here on the forum and also at our outings.

I myself just find it in bad taste to use this group to try and recruit members for another group doing exactly the same thing.

Quick Reply: What's Next?