Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Trouble w/Civic SI

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts
Smile Trouble w/Civic SI

I would like a few opinions good or bad. (Sorry this is so long)

Tuesday evening, I left work and drove to the Avon Home Depot. The trip was about 6 miles and took about 15 minutes. I was in and back out in about 15 minutes. When I turned the key to start the car (’08 Civic SI) the engine didn’t start. All that happened when I turned the key to start was that everything electrical shut off. I tried several times and the same thing happened. At first I thought it was the battery. I called my dealer (sorry no names) and was told that Honda did not provide roadside assistance. I was quizzed about possibly leaving the lights on, which I didn’t. I was told that I should call AAA (I’m not a member) or find someone to give me a jump. I was also told that if I had it towed and they found nothing wrong that I would be responsible for the towing cost.

I called my neighbor to come and jump the car. When we hooked his car to mine and I tried to start the car it loaded his car so bad that his lights and dash dimmed so low you could barely see them. We quit after two times for fear of damaging his car.

I called the dealer to ask who they had do their towing and was given a name. I called and met the towing dude at the car. He tried the car with the same results, nothing.

The next morning the dealer went out and the car started right away. They did not jump or charge the battery. The service writer called and suggested that I left the door open so the battery was dead. He also said that the battery would gain a charge while sitting over night (in 20 degree weather).

They had the car for two full days and found nothing wrong but checked nothing other that the electrical system. When I picked the car up they charged me for the towing. While arguing the charge the service writer told me that I would have to call back tomorrow as the head service dude wasn’t there. But I saw her walk right past him when she came to talk to me plus he stood behind us talking to another customer for a short time.

I’m pissed…….at first about the towing charge but more about being lied to and being told a battery is so dead it won't start a car but the next morning it will. I suggest possible binding of the starter, etc, but nothing was checked.

Am I right or should I just shut up?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Intermittent problems like that are a royal PITA to figure out....

The lying to you should not have happened... wonder what he thought he was going to gain by doing it?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see customer service is high on that dealers list of priorities. I can't believe they charged you for the tow. It isn't like you faked that it wouldn't start. Over the years I have seen this as a bad starter. Actually the soleniod on the starter has to much draw or gets stuck in between start and run positions. I assume they did a draw test on the battery and the battery was fine. What you need to do is measure the draw while cranking (dissable the ignition) to see how that is. I would take the battery out and run it up to the parts store and have them test the battery. If the battery test fine, there is a problem, but it may not show up for a while again.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the same dealership that you bought (1) your Civic, (2) your laguna S and (3) your current S? If so, could you lean on the salesperson a bit to help you out? The tow charges seem a bit ticky-tack - I understand that the tow driver needs to get paid by someone but its not like you made the whole thing up, just so you could visit the dealership. Also, is this the same dealership that botched a paint repair a while back on your laguna?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Yup! The same dealer that I purchased 3 cars from in the last three years having spent over $75,000.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooterboy,Jan 29 2010, 04:42 PM
Yup! The same dealer that I purchased 3 cars from in the last three years having spent over $75,000.
after your loyal business, that's just wrong - I bet Marysville Honda would never do something like that
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, to say bad customer service would be an understatement. I'd have to agree with david1 though. I had this happen once (actually twice with same car) several years ago. It wouldn't turn over, nothing. I knew the battery wasn't dead, cause it was starting and running normally less than a day before the first occurance. By the way, this happened in my garage.

Dealer tried to tell me they disconnected battery, charged it, reconnected and it started right up. Said they couldn't find any problems. When it happened the second time, they found a starter problem. Best description I could get was a "dead spot" on the starter.

And though I have bought many cars from the same dealer as you, this didn't happen to a Honda. Very sorry for your problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy american problem solved
Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 263 Likes on 88 Posts

it is made in America
Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 AM

Sorry Pete but the SI was made in the 51st state, Canada!

Quick Reply: Trouble w/Civic SI