Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Track Event Schedules for 2006

Old 01-03-2006, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundzero,Jan 3 2006, 06:00 PM
Popeye!

Don't be a wuss! Do it in S2000. Do it in slow group and you will be fine!
All driving in another car will do is make you more comfortable in that car. If you go out in a slow fwd car, and then a faster rwd car, everything will be different (entry/exit speeds, braking points, turning lines).

Just drive smart and have fun.

Dan
Old 01-03-2006, 04:09 PM

BTW, Wake The Dragon 06 is on the same weekend as first Mid Ohio NASA event April 21 thru 23rd. Then another one isn't until July.

However, TracQuest is coming to Mid Ohio on May 29th and 30th. Two days of nothing but HPDE. Last year, Gary, Chase and I did August 5th event and it was awesome. They had well over 2.5hours of track time.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Slug,Jan 3 2006, 06:47 PM
All driving in another car will do is make you more comfortable in that car. If you go out in a slow fwd car, and then a faster rwd car, everything will be different (entry/exit speeds, braking points, turning lines).

Just drive smart and have fun.

Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 PM

What I meant is that a Civic and S2000 have completely different performance characteristics that require being driven in different fashions.

If you were planning to go out in the Civic in case of any major mistakes, then all you will accomplish is creating a false sense of security when you do drive the S2k on a track, as the two cars will behave very differently and require different driving techniques (front heavy fwd vs 50/50 rwd) and react differently with given inputs.

If you were going to go out in another F/R car with 50/50 weight balance, you could get a good feel for driving in a 'slower' car to settle yourself and then move up to the faster car.

Now, if you were taking the Civic out for some reason other then this, there may be benefit.

I guess I should ask, what is the reason for taking the Civic out first?

Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 02:56 PM

Again there are no lap records to set are there? I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I may not even like the experience after weighting in the positive results with the negative effects.

My thoughts....When a 15yr old learns to drive does the instructor pull up in a Ferrari or a Malibu?

Yes it would be more fun in the S2000 but this is a "recon expedition" not an all out assult on the Mid-Ohio T-2 record.

Add to that the expendibles (gas, oil, brakes,and tires) are a whole bunch cheaper on the Civic than an S2000.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Popeye,Jan 4 2006, 06:56 PM
Again there are no lap records to set are there? I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I may not even like the experience after weighting in the positive results with the negative effects.

My thoughts....When a 15yr old learns to drive does the instructor pull up in a Ferrari or a Malibu?

Yes it would be more fun in the S2000 but this is a "recon expedition" not an all out assult on the Mid-Ohio T-2 record.

Add to that the expendibles (gas, oil, brakes,and tires) are a whole bunch cheaper on the Civic than an S2000.
Hmm, whether we end up agreeing or not, from your last post, it seems that what I am trying to express may not be coming across... This may be better discussed over beer some time if my sorry butt ever gets out to another gathering.

Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM

Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Popeye,Jan 4 2006, 06:56 PM

for once i agree with him
Old 01-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Christ.

Popeye you are a big hairy P#@^Y!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Black05S2k,Jan 4 2006, 08:30 PM
for once i agree with him
The thing is, it is not about speed or laps times.

When on the track, most people get into a rhythm. This rhythm would be very different between the cars mentioned, since they have different performance traits, potential, and even the lines around the track. If you learn one vehicles line, and then drive in another vehicle, you will be relearning everything from the first time.

At the most basic level, here is an example. You are driving the Civic at Mid-Ohio, and in the carousel the back end gets loose as you enter the corner a little too fast. Your reaction should be to smoothly apply more throttle to pull out. No problem.

Now, you are there with the S2. Because you are more comfortable with being on a track, you settle down quicker and hunt for the limits of the new car. You enter the carousel a little hot, the back end comes loose, most people will react the same way from the previous situation (regardless of driver talent or knowledge) and apply more throttle (since this worked in the past). Only this time you hit the pit lane wall instead of pulling out of the slide.

That is a very basic example or what I was trying to express. This is not a hit to a driver

Quick Reply: Track Event Schedules for 2006