Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

TireRack vs. Local Purchase of Tires

Old 09-10-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TireRack vs. Local Purchase of Tires

TireRack wants $156/tire for rear tires (Bridgestone S02's), plus $18 shipping. Tax will be another $20.00, last time I looked carcass disposal was $8/tire, and if I take the tires to a local installer, they're going to probably charge something like $25/tire removal, installation, stems and balancing. That comes out about $416.

When I called ET Paul yesterday, same tire, installed, tax, balanced, stems, etc. is $404.

I may be missing something, but it looks to me like there's no real advantage to buying through the TireRack.

What am I missing here?
Old 09-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Former Moderator

Sometimes they aren't cheaper.

Just make sure they are the OEM SO2's.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you try Discount Tire ?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure that the tires are the ones that are W rated. That is the one for our S.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the comments. I'll double check what ET Paul is offering, and let you know what I find out.

I did call Discount Tires, and they don't carry Bridgestone, although they guy said he would call them to see what they would cost if he ordered them. They have a Yokohama AVS-ES 100, W rated, on sale for $110, plus tax, out the door. I may look - I could replace all four tires for just a little more than two of the Bridgestones.

Anyone have any experience with the Yokohamas?
Old 09-10-2003, 02:25 PM

Yes, definitely make sure you are getting the correct tire at that price.

About a year ago, I put on two new rears. I called around to a couple of local Honda dealers and a Firestone and got quoted something like $200 - $220 a tire from Honda while the Firestone dealer told me $270 per tire and he only had one in the Columbus area at the time. I ended up going to TireRack and got them for $142 a tire. I do not remember having to pay tax from TireRack (maybe I am wrong or this has changed?). I had them mounted at Tire Kingdom for about $25 a tire.

Let us know what you find out from ET Paul. I will need new tires soon, hopefully not before this coming spring.

Later,
Joe
Old 09-11-2003, 04:17 AM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

Just bought 4 from Tire Rack....

I think somewhere areound $143 for the fronts, $154 for the rear. Total of around $35 freight, no tax.... Shipping to the local Honda dealer who will mount them for $22 a tire..... I'm happy!

Best deal around!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by ggd2

Anyone have any experience with the Yokohamas? [/B]
I've run nothing but Yokohama's on all my previous and current Hondas except my S and have had no issues so far.
I like them on my CRX and the wife's Accord ; but it seems as though everyone is set on Bridgestones for the S ! Is there some data to back this up or just fear of change or is everyone looking for a "test" subject?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Former Moderator

The Bridgestone SO2's are absolutely the best street performance tire for this car. Other tires may have better wet road handling but none will match the grip and dry weather handling of the OEM S02.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Popeye

I've run nothing but Yokohama's on all my previous and current Hondas except my S and have had no issues so far.
I like them on my CRX and the wife's Accord ; but it seems as though everyone is set on Bridgestones for the S ! Is there some data to back this up or just fear of change or is everyone looking for a "test" subject?
I can't point you to any local owners who are running alternate tires on their stock wheels, but I can say that if you do some searches and look back on this site, you'll be able to find someone who has tried each and every performance tire that is available in a comparable stagger to the stockers. The general consensus, even amongst those who aren't big fans of the OEM S02, is that for a dry weather street tire the OEM S02 can't really be beat in terms of ultimate grip. Some people feel that you can trade some ultimate grip for an improvement in feedback at the limit if you go with an alternate tire and you can certainly find a better wet weather performance tire. So, it really depends on what you are looking for and how you use your car. I'm not afraid to drive my car in the rain and I put a large number of miles on it per year, but after reading everything I could on this site, I've been sticking with the OEM S02. Your mileage may vary.

Also, remember to take Honda/Bridgestone's "odd" sizing of the OEM S02 into account when shopping for another brand. I think there is a "sticky" thread at the top of the Wheel and Tire forum concerning sizing of tires. Check it out!

Later,
Joe

Quick Reply: TireRack vs. Local Purchase of Tires