Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Test drove new Lexus IS today

Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, unorthodox as it may sound, the sales lady called me and asked me whether I'd be interested in test driving IS250 with 6speed manual RWD model they just received.

I will be breaking the cherry of this new car today at around 6pm.
Will write a short review. Perhaps, this model may provide what is missing in 200lbs heavier AWD model.

Will report back soon.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Just drove IS250 6speed RWD. They are asking $33k for the car. It was basic model without any options. No HID, no bigger brakes, no NAVI. I expected more from the RWD 6speed in terms of driving experience. Boy was I wrong. Gear box was so loose it reminded me of Mazda 3 transmission. Although it felt lighter and thus faster, the car ran out of it's steam after 5000rpm. I couldn't bare the synthesizerish engine sound and almost none existant exhaust note. As I was driving I thougtht to myself "What kind of people would choose this car?" Certainly not for me.

Went back to Acura Dealership down the road and drove TL 6speed. BTW, TL 6speed comes with 4 piston Brembo brake for the front and braking felt great! Package wise, Acura included DVD navi, brembo brakes, HID and XM ready DVD sound system and 6speed tranny for $33k(05 left over brand new 05)

Why on earth would anyone consider buying an IS250 or 350? other than the fact that it is Lexus? The car has nothing on BMW I drove or TL 6speed. Only gripe I had on TL 6speed was noticible torque steer when you push the car but other than that, the car feels so much together than IS. Did I mention how much the transmission of TL reminded me of so much closer to S2000? It wasn't as mechanical but very direct and precise.

Quite frankly, I find TL interior and dash layout much classier than IS, materials and fit and finish is second to none against new IS or any Lexus for that matter.

BTW, If you call Lexus a luxury and Acura isn't? You must be out of your mind. Becasue GS or LS got nothing on new RL either. In fact, Germain Lexus had plenty of unsold 05 GS collecting dusts on their lot. The sales lady even said RL have taken away alot of possible buyers for GS and now IS350 is cutting into GS market.

Well, anyways, I am out.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Honda_mann,Nov 7 2005, 04:29 PM
Right, for the price i rather get a GS.
So you would choose base GS300 over Acura RL although price difference would be less than $3000? GS3000 base model being 52k?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soundzero,Nov 7 2005, 05:05 PM
Just drove IS250 6speed RWD. They are asking $33k for the car. It was basic model without any options. No HID, no bigger brakes, no NAVI. I expected more from the RWD 6speed in terms of driving experience. Boy was I wrong. Gear box was so loose it reminded me of Mazda 3 transmission. Although it felt lighter and thus faster, the car ran out of it's steam after 5000rpm. I couldn't bare the synthesizerish engine sound and almost none existant exhaust note. As I was driving I thougtht to myself "What kind of people would choose this car?" Certainly not for me.

Went back to Acura Dealership down the road and drove TL 6speed. BTW, TL 6speed comes with 4 piston Brembo brake for the front and braking felt great! Package wise, Acura included DVD navi, brembo brakes, HID and XM ready DVD sound system and 6speed tranny for $33k(05 left over brand new 05)

Why on earth would anyone consider buying an IS250 or 350? other than the fact that it is Lexus? The car has nothing on BMW I drove or TL 6speed. Only gripe I had on TL 6speed was noticible torque steer when you push the car but other than that, the car feels so much together than IS. Did I mention how much the transmission of TL reminded me of so much closer to S2000? It wasn't as mechanical but very direct and precise.

Quite frankly, I find TL interior and dash layout much classier than IS, materials and fit and finish is second to none against new IS or any Lexus for that matter.

BTW, If you call Lexus a luxury and Acura isn't? You must be out of your mind. Becasue GS or LS got nothing on new RL either. In fact, Germain Lexus had plenty of unsold 05 GS collecting dusts on their lot. The sales lady even said RL have taken away alot of possible buyers for GS and now IS350 is cutting into GS market.

Well, anyways, I am out.
You say the new Acura RL trumps the Lexus LS430? I beg to differ. These cars are in two completely different classes, and made for two different types of buyers/drivers. Granted the RL has a more sporting character, the 2 2005 LS430's my parents drive are the most elegant, solid, well thought-out pieces of machinery i've ever driven - even more so than the RL. I would drive an acura RL over a GS or the bargain basement IS, but the LS is an amazing luxury car.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:09 PM

Well, I mean to say that RL is a serious contender which could possibly eat into LS market. But I do agree with you. They are in different class. While LS competes against 7 series and S class buyers, RL may intice GS, 5 series or E Class buyers.

Here are the reasons why I like the new RL.

1. It is offered in AWD with SH system
2. V6 with higher output than 4.3L Toyota V8
3. Fit, finish and material is top notch and noway short of LS
4. Standard equipments are well matched and offers even more advanced technology such as GPS guided dual climate control system.
5. $12,000 less than LS420 even when it is fully equipped.

6. Design and over all proposition of RL invokes luxury and performance all together in unconventional way. Well, more closer to BMW than MB but calling one a better luxury than the other is rather pointless I guess. Because ultimate luxury vehicles are in price range well beyond two or three times the LS or RL.

Speaking of luxury vehicles. When you get a chance, drive the new Audi A8 or VW Phaeton. Quite compelling. If it wasn't for the price, more people would choose A8. 6 degrees of separation, yet it demands tens of thousands of dollars in price difference. Are you willing to pay more money for A8 although LS may do all that A8 could do then some? Same can be said about RL vs LS. Just a thought.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm currently looking at the TSX as a replacement for Becky's aging 01 Accord @ 178K. We'll be driving one this weekend and I'll report on our impressions

Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Popeye,Nov 8 2005, 04:47 AM
I'm currently looking at the TSX as a replacement for Becky's aging 01 Accord @ 178K. We'll be driving one this weekend and I'll report on our impressions

The TSX is a wonderful car. Three of my friends who work at Honda drive them, and each car seems to have a personality all it's own. Driving the automatic TSX is underwhelming, while the 6-speed raises the bar on the fun factor quite a bit. My aforementioned friend who owns one of the 6-speed TSX's claims it has shorter gear ratio's than our S's - but, who know's if that's the case. Keep in mind the TSX is a front wheel drive car, and with the 6-speed you'll notice alot of torque steer. While it gives good power from it's 200HP, the engine does sound quite whiney. The car handles extremely well, and the brakes, while not the TL's Brembo's, are better than any new Honda's.

Fit and finish on both the interior and exterior are what you would expect from Acura, and if you get a TSX, I would highly reccomend the navigation system- it adds several more features to the car than simply navi. After driving the TSX my reccomendation would be to go drive the new Accord V6 6-Speed Sedan and see what you think. When we were looking at both a last month, what drew us to the Accord V6 6-Speed over the TSX was the fact the TSX needed premium, the accord, 87. With Elizabeth driving 600+ miles per week, the savings at the end of the year in fuel costs were worth it. Both are wonderful cars - you can't go wrong with either.

Here's a comparison of the two side-by-side.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/Ve...leId1=100640445
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by soundzero,Nov 7 2005, 08:10 PM
So you would choose base GS300 over Acura RL although price difference would be less than $3000? GS3000 base model being 52k?
NO WAY.. in the lexus family bro.....

acura RL is just plain sweet.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by soundzero,Nov 7 2005, 08:09 PM
Well, I mean to say that RL is a serious contender which could possibly eat into LS market. But I do agree with you. They are in different class. While LS competes against 7 series and S class buyers, RL may intice GS, 5 series or E Class buyers.

Here are the reasons why I like the new RL.

1. It is offered in AWD with SH system
2. V6 with higher output than 4.3L Toyota V8
3. Fit, finish and material is top notch and noway short of LS
4. Standard equipments are well matched and offers even more advanced technology such as GPS guided dual climate control system.
5. $12,000 less than LS420 even when it is fully equipped.

6. Design and over all proposition of RL invokes luxury and performance all together in unconventional way. Well, more closer to BMW than MB but calling one a better luxury than the other is rather pointless I guess. Because ultimate luxury vehicles are in price range well beyond two or three times the LS or RL.

Speaking of luxury vehicles. When you get a chance, drive the new Audi A8 or VW Phaeton. Quite compelling. If it wasn't for the price, more people would choose A8. 6 degrees of separation, yet it demands tens of thousands of dollars in price difference. Are you willing to pay more money for A8 although LS may do all that A8 could do then some? Same can be said about RL vs LS. Just a thought.
I agree with several of your points, and do think the Acura is a great car technology-wise. A certain level of prestige is associated with the Lexus that no Acura will ever have though, and in looking at reliability - the Acura isn't all that reliable.

If you want to go drive the A8 and Phaeton some day - i'll gladly go with you. Before the LS430, my dad had a 2004 A8, and after 2 A6's, he was disappointed with the brand quality and service of Byers. After having his LS, he has been so impressed with both the car and the executive treatment at Lexus of Easton, that he bought my mom one.

That's why they make several models of cars though, some like RL's, some like LS430's. To me, the Lexus evokes more of a presence and has much more luxurious accomidations than the RL. Love the RL, but would buy the LS430. Make mine Briarwood Pearl with Ecru Leather.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Popeye,Nov 8 2005, 07:47 AM

good choice....Danielle had one for a day, she liked it a lot

Quick Reply: Test drove new Lexus IS today