Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Test drove new Lexus IS today

Old 11-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove new Lexus IS today

Well, sitting at home, lazy Sunday afternoon, sick of watching football all weekend, I decided to venture out to local dealerships for some test drive. The target? New Lexus IS.

I've read numerous reviews about the car and watched enough commericals and it was time to get my hands on one and drive it like it was meant to be driven. Only problem I may face is having to deal with sticky/pushy sales guy/gal. Anyways, first stop was Germain Lexus at Easton. They were out of stock on new IS. So I drove back to Germain Lexus at Dublin.

A nice lady greeted me as I was checking out the new IS250 AWD model. It had navigation, parking camera and AWD system. Price tag? $37,000 and some change. Base IS250 with 6speed manual gear box and no other options goes for little over $32k. Base IS350 with automatic goes for $38k. When you add luxury package and navigation system package the price quickly jumps to $45k and some change.

Driving Impression:

One of the thing that I really liked about the new IS was the dash layout. Classic speedo and RPM guage with integrated information display and the color of the backlight was asthetically pleasing and easy to read. It had programable speed limit and RPM/shift reminder lights which lits up both guages at certain speed and rpm as you programmed it. Neat idea indeed. But why is this necessary on automatic cars? Even on sport mode, the computer will shift your gear as you rev pass 6,000rpm regardless how long you press down that gas pedal.

It utilizes smart key technology and engine start button thus making it that much seemless when entering and starting the car. While I do appreciate the idea and real world application of this technology, it is something I can live without thus, makes no difference to me in purchasing decision. But for those who are always on the go and both of their hands are always tied up with cell phone and coffees, this could save them from digging into their pockets or a purse while juggling everything on their hands.

Engine, from inside with windows close, sounded...ummm...I couldn't hear the engine sound nor the exhaust tone. In fact, only indication that the car is running was the idling rpm needle. Big rearview camera display on the navigation screen provided wide angle view of the rear and made it easy as I was backing out of the dealership parking lot. Another nice idea but never replace your babit of checking both sides as the camera view doesn't cover the b-pillar blindspots.

So off we went and quickly drove off to 33 North towards Columbus Zoo. I drove first mile or so below 4k rpm. As the road was lear of late sunday afternoon traffic, it was time to open her up and drive it like it was meant to be drive. Well, my expectation of experiencing something special quickly disappeared as I held the rpm pass 6k rpm 1st through 4th gear.

The car was a DOG! Engine sound so close to Camry V6 and exhaust tone was rather uninspiring. Brake, acceleration, and steering felt so disconnected to the road. Only thing I could praise about the car was the handling. But having driven E46 3 series AWD and Audi A4 Quattro, I could honestly, say it wasn't anything that special. In fact, I preferred the experience I had in new Acura TL A Spec with 6 speed. TL felt much more inspiring, connected and powerful compare to this $37k dog. At this point, I had to wonder why on earth would anyone consider buying this car? Seriously, if anyone wants 200hp AWD sedan there are much better and cheaper alternative with reliability and built quality. I'd suggest that person to look at the Subaru Legacy GT sedan. At little over $30k, you get more powerful, lighter, faster and AWD car that is much sensible than this half wit proposition from Toyota.

She asked me whether I would want to try the IS350. It is RWD and has over 300hp and 277lb ft of torque. I am sure it would feel much faster than the IS250 however, I declined the offer for several reason. The biggest problem I had with new IS wasn't the acceleration. In fact, for the power and weight ratio, IS250 was plenty fast enough. I am talking about the connectedness, road feel, and the communication that I would want from a sport sedan like BMW 3 Series or Infinity G35. Maybe I am bias. But bias for good reasons. They are advertising new IS as if it is the only contender to trump the BMW 3 series's reputation. But I felt more compelling when I drove Acura TL 6speed or new Saab 93 Vector.

Not sure why this car is selling so well besides the fact that it is new model and people wants things that are new. Other than that, I see many other alternatives and better packaged vechiles than the new IS. In fact I am quite interested in seeing the AWD TL from Acura. 270hp AWD TL A Spec with 6speed under 37k, looks and sounds much better than the new IS 250 AWD. In fact, Id choose E90 330I over IS 350. For the sheer fact of driving experience.

Lexus has done a great job of improving the IS from its old model but they came short in providing more engaging driving experience. In fact, old IS felt much sportier than the new model and I enjoyed it's lower driving position than semi small SUV high driving position of new IS.

Anyways, it was a good hour out of my day to experience what the new IS had to offer but that is as far as my interest for the new Lexus goes. If I was in the market for a sport sedan, Lexus would be somewhere in the bottom of my list simply because what the new IS is offering to the driver isn't what I would consider to be the most important facts when considering a new car.

So far, new BMW or even E46 have given me more pleasures than the new IS have. In fact, Acura TL was much more convincing car than new IS ever will be.
Yeah I realize that I sound like a broken record here but I just wanted to share my experience with all of you, in case anyone of you are stupid enough to consider the new IS. But don't take my word for it. Go drive one.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm guessing the IS350 is only avaliable with the "sissy-matic"? Shame on them
Old 11-06-2005, 07:53 PM

Correct, IS350 only comes with 6speed manumatic with paddle shifter.
The car weights little over 3500lbs.

BTW, IS250 AWD weights the heaviest. Tipping the scale at 3600+lbs.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the review Andy.....was going to look at the 250 with the gf on the list of new cars....but having second thoughts....
3600 lbs?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the review, I will take this off the must test drive list!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 AM

i love the IS..... the look is great and who cares if it weights 3600 its a lexus. LUXURY.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review Andy.

I like your feedback on the full driving experience and how it compared to the IS300. I test drove an IS 300 back to back with a BMW 330i in 2001. At that time, I thought the IS 300 had better steering response and brake feel. Plus, the IS 300 was thousands less. I heard that the 02 BMW's improved the steering response after many critisims. Anyway, back then I ended up buying a 2001.5 Audi S4, mainly because of the deisgn, AWD and turbos, plus you just did not see many back then. This new IS 350 looks good, but sounds like it may have steered away from the attributes that, I thought, made it a better driving experience than the BMW 3 series.

With cars becoming faster and faster, acceleration is no longer a big differentiator for me. Outside design, what is now important is the rest of the driving experience namely, feedback and response from steering, braking and suspension as well as the bells and whistles. As I read in your review, I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by MrClean,Nov 7 2005, 12:48 PM
Great review Andy.

I like your feedback on the full driving experience and how it compared to the IS300. I test drove an IS 300 back to back with a BMW 330i in 2001. At that time, I thought the IS 300 had better steering response and brake feel. Plus, the IS 300 was thousands less. I heard that the 02 BMW's improved the steering response after many critisims. Anyway, back then I ended up buying a 2001.5 Audi S4, mainly because of the deisgn, AWD and turbos, plus you just did not see many back then. This new IS 350 looks good, but sounds like it may have steered away from the attributes that, I thought, made it a better driving experience than the BMW 3 series.

With cars becoming faster and faster, acceleration is no longer a big differentiator for me. Outside design, what is now important is the rest of the driving experience namely, feedback and response from steering, braking and suspension as well as the bells and whistles. As I read in your review, I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Gary,

Remember I didn't drive the IS350. It only came in automatic with paddle shifter. Honestly, I didn't see the need for the paddle shifter not only that, the car was way too quite and felt disconnected.

Although, I'd love to drive IS350 with sport package mated to 6speed gear box. But unfortunately IS350 only comes in auto.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Honda_mann,Nov 7 2005, 12:14 PM
i love the IS..... the look is great and who cares if it weights 3600 its a lexus. LUXURY.
but the price tag is hefty compared to the old IS...granted it is a completely different car....I just thought they priced themselves out of old class and too close to the GS class
Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Right, for the price i rather get a GS.

Quick Reply: Test drove new Lexus IS today