Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Stupid is as Stupid Does

Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K_Cincy,Aug 3 2009, 01:50 PM
How in the heck did you get Nationwide to even cover it??

Before I started HPDE events I had Allstate. I asked about HPDE events and they told me if I was on the track to FORGET about it! So I met my current agent through a good friend who did HPDEs and my agent also participates in HPDE events. He hooked me up with great insurance that will cover on track incidents as long as it is an HPDE, I even have better coverage and pay about the same as I did with Allstate. When I had my K20 civic I was also able to get modification coverage that would cover what I actually had on the car, it only cost $60 more a year

So there are insurance companies that DO cover HPDE events, the key is that it is NOT a race it is a driving education event.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the car moved to the entrance gate and put it next to the concrete barriers there, put some yellow paint on the wall, and called in the claim.....just kidding!

Actually, until 7/5/09 I was a Nationwide employee. I supported IT functions there, and really don't know the insurance side of the business. My father who was on the insurance side, said the fact that it was not a competitive event keeps it within the bounds of the policy. However, we'll see if they renew my coverage in 5 months or if they try to attach an exclusion waiver to it.

When I called, I told Nationwide exactly what I was doing. I was an instructor at the PDX event, and that while I was on track, I was not racing. And given the conditions, I had never actually gotten above highway speeds. When I turned in the claim, I stated that I didn't expect that they would cover it, but every claims person I spoke with, just kept moving forward, treating it as if it had happened on the road. All I really expected was to take advantage of the towing and roadside assistance included with the policy to get it to the local Honda dealer to evaluate it and determine if it was worth repairing on my own dime. I don't know if my being apologetic had anything to do with it, but I'm not going to complain!

Obviously, I will be looking specifically into track coverage before I go through this again! Sounds like Bgoetz needs to share his insurance company name with us.

Frankly, with the lack of tread on a Yokahama Advan A048, it's amazing the car didn't go off the road on the way to the track from the hotel given the downpour we were driving through. But, niether my son, or I ever felt a hint of hydroplaning. Even on the track it just felt like I was hitting patches of ice here or there. Oversteer or understeer that lasted no more than a second at a time. I'm sure now that it was actually hydroplaning in short bursts. I feel lucky that this didn't cost me a whole lot more, and you won't see me using those tires with a drop of water on the track, or a cloud in the sky again. Not bad when it's dry, but an absolute hazard when it's wet.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 AM

I have thousands of lap at Mid Ohio. I have driven it on the rain too. I have oversteer a Spec Miata during the start of a race there and have also oversteer an AWD EVO there. That section is slippery. Well, Mid Ohio itself is slippery when wet. I don't even go out with street tire with my S2000 when it it wet there.

Sorry about your S2000.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks Zen. I know better now!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by zenracer,Aug 4 2009, 07:43 AM
I have thousands of lap at Mid Ohio. I have driven it on the rain too. I have oversteer a Spec Miata during the start of a race there and have also oversteer an AWD EVO there. That section is slippery. Well, Mid Ohio itself is slippery when wet. I don't even go out with street tire with my S2000 when it it wet there.

Sorry about your S2000.
Cliff, you oversteer everything you drive, you are just a maniac

If anyone is interested in the insurance I am with, it is Westgate in Toledo. They offer multiple companies, so they can find the best fit for you. You can reach them at (419)536-2213, ask for Todd, he is the president, be sure to tell him Brent sent you and that you want to be sure you have a company that is good with PDE events. He is a great straight forward guy, if you start talking cars with him be prepared to be on the phone for a while
Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Definitely check your policy and it doesn't hurt to ask your carrier upfront if they will cover track days. Every policy you purchase (regardless of carrier) will provide you a policy contract (or jacket)... It doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to read what your policy exclusions are.

Glad to hear that your policy is covering you. Even if they set up your policy for non-renewal at least you got this one covered

PS. totally random note, but i saw a kid delivering pizzas in an s2000. if he wrecks that car,he's toast... most carriers won't cover pizza delivery on a personal auto policy (that's a listed exclusion)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky,Aug 4 2009, 09:23 PM

PS. totally random note, but i saw a kid delivering pizzas in an s2000. if he wrecks that car,he's toast... most carriers won't cover pizza delivery on a personal auto policy (that's a listed exclusion)
ha, never knew that . What is the reasoning behind that??
Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by bgoetz,Aug 5 2009, 05:53 AM
ha, never knew that . What is the reasoning behind that??
Most companies have removed this guarentee but there was a time when pizza companies would guarentee that the pizza would get to your house in xx minutes or it was free...

imagine what the drivers would do to ensure that the delivery was made on time..
Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Damn, there goes my side job!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

lol...

well, it can still be your side job, just don't get caught

Quick Reply: Stupid is as Stupid Does