Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

The Spring Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ they look like they're flirting..how cute
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by david1,May 31 2006, 08:36 AM
I do not want to swap rims to fit coil overs since they seem to be a minimum 1.5 inch drop.
I think you're a little off on that
Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I should edit that, Some of the coilovers are more height adjustable (through a shell height adjustment along with perch adjustment) than others such as a model of the buddy clubs, megan, and muegan.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 AM

All depends on what you
Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, what a pleasant response! My thoughts are almost the same as yours. I do not want to lower the car without more control which is why I am looking for a stiffer spring without a big drop. Cost for good coilovers is out of range for now. I agree about the Buddy Clubs, those are on the S that we went for a "ride" in right?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
JHo
Member (Premium)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBreaker,May 31 2006, 09:33 AM
I only consider springs over coilover for the sake of saving money and believing that even if the springs aren't adjustable, there are other things like air pressure and tire mix to correct any undesired behaviors...it just takes experimenting and seat time in the car to understand how the car reacts differently for the better or the worse. Hopefully the better haha

considering the RSR Ti2000 lowering springs but I think I will probably go the route of coil overs for the long haul and the ability to adjust the suspension for different situations. This will provide far more fun changing the settings and understanding the car's characteristics from a driver's learning perspective, I like the idea of changing the setting of the suspension on the fly inside the car using Tiens EDFC unit.
Just a word of caution. By changing the spring rates, even if balanced changes front and rear, there will be a new reaction between the damper and spring setup.

Also, tire pressure changes are a fine tuning technique to finish dialing in the setup. With springs you would want at least a front sway bar for adjustment if you are that serious of a driver, and competitor to need dialing in. Even better would be adjustable shocks, and lots of learning on how to properly tune.

Back to the tire thing. Most tire temps will be determined by camber, toe and track layout/surface conditions. There is an optimal temperature range to get the most grip from the tire, and adjusting the pressures is how you get there. Also pressure build must be considered. If tuning with pressures you would also want to think about going to full nitrogen inflation to make the heat reaction more stable.

Without proper testing and tuning, the effects of the changes made to the suspension are by the "seat of the pants" data aquisition system, which has proven to be the most inaccurate engineering tool ever concieved.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by david1,May 31 2006, 03:04 PM
Buddy Clubs, those are on the S that we went for a "ride" in right?
No those were the JRZ's
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Joe what is your take on the KW line? Variant 2 and 3?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blah blah blah. First off, most of the jagoffs around here will not lower their car, so why get their opinion. Second, I wanted the car lowered for looks without loosing any handling on the street or twisty roads. I do not track and autocross. Joe is right (that hurt), depends on what you want to do. Andy, Dave and GB should be careful as they track the car. My car needs new shocks soon anyhow, so for a cost savings, I went springs now then I will go shocks in a few months. I like the idea of the delayed spending. So does my wife. IMO, to spend money on coliovers just for looks and street handling is retarded. From speaking to some of you, once you get the car where you want it, you do not touch the settings again. Unless you track, I do not see the use in a coilover set up. Try some springs, then upgrade your shocks later. The half shaft issue I am not sold on. If you like the way my car handled and looked...then buy you some springs and drive that bitch. The rest of this stuff is wasted space.

Amended so not to offend.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
JHo
Member (Premium)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ROGUE3308,May 31 2006, 07:21 PM
Ok, this was my best attempt at impersonating Hefi...how did I do?
Who the fock is Hefi??

Quick Reply: The Spring Thread