Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Spring is in the air (so is RR)

Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring is in the air (so is RR)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, some (angry+jealous?) people have more aggression toward me when drivng the Cayman versus the GTI (or any other sporty car I've had). I notably get cut off more, flipped off more and general road rage more often just because of the make of the car I'm driving, while driving the same as I always do (which is not *that* bad )

Today was the first day I drove my Cayman S to work (following a long cold winter) here in central Ohio.

As I entered the freeway and while merging into 6 lanes of traffic that narrow to 4 in about 1/2 mile, I have Mr. SUV try to squeeze me out of a lane change as soon as I (legally) use my turn signal. Watching him in my rear view mirror, I proceeded to move over to the next lane as he accelerates then hammers the brakes on my ***, honking his horn and flipping me off. To move onward and outa there, I moved over a couple more lanes to the the passing lane and was on my way (no antagonistic wave or anything). Mr. SUV goes out of his way, passing on the inside lanes, weaving in and out of traffic to catch me. He catches up (mainly b/c I did not care to play his game to lose him) and sits in a lane 2 over from me, "watching me" as to intimidate. A couple miles later, I approach my interchange/exit to the next hwy, and to avoid him boxing me in, I wait till he is looking the other way, then I hammer it, shoot around the cars and him (no where near him by the way). By the time he looks for me again, I'm 10 cars ahead of Mr. SUV and behind another car, approaching the interchange exit. Mr. SUV, not giving up yet, comes racing up with his windows down, pointing and yelling and flipping me off (seeing out of my peripherial). At this point, I can't help it anymore, I just smile and laugh, looking straight ahead as I exit. He was soooo pissed, and for what? Obviously, he's got other things going on, besides me.

It's times like these I second guess having a recognizable vanity plate.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile and wave, it pisses them off even more.

That's also why I keep the .380 in my back pocket.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Mar 16 2010, 10:31 AM
Smile and wave, it pisses them off even more.

That's also why I keep the .380 in my back pocket.
I keep jelly filled doughnuts on the passenger seat at the ready!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
JHo
Member (Premium)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand the hate towards enthusiasts that some people show.

I know with my age, and the fact I have two fairly new, and reasonably expensive cars, I usually get two reactions. The first is people who are happy or indifferent. They understand it's a passion, and even if they don't get "it", they can objectively write it off as different strokes for different folks.

Then there are the haters who are extremely jealous, and tend to try and poke until they get a reaction.

What gets me the most about the later, and the rare few who have to be highway heros like Dick A above, is that I'm not going out of my way to throw it in their face, but they feel it's well worth their time to make sure I know they don't approve. Like their opinion is somehow better than mine. I guess the only solace (if nothing bad happens) is that I'm going to continue having a good day after getting away, while they tend to be pissed at the kid in the sports car for the entire day.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator

Some chic in a mini-van (not a GTI) raged on my wife a few weeks ago. Followed her all the way down 71 taking pictures of our car and plates. WTF?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Rich, your mention of a camera reminds me of one of my coworkers. She happened to have a point and shoot camera in her car when someone started road raging her. So she grabbed it and snapped a couple of pics, which didn't really turn out. But when the road rager saw the flash from the camera, they backed way off and quit messing with her.

Makes me want to keep a crappy old camera around just to freak out the crazies.

Also, "mini-van (not a GTI)"? Classic!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM

I've ahd very similar situations to be Mrclean's experience...just amazing the idiots that are out there. In my younger days I would usually fall pray to their stupidity but now..especially when I'm in my S2000 I just smile and wave. After I've had a little fun messing with them...like writing down their plates or maybe taking a picture with my cell phone. Anyway hope to have my S2K on the raod soon..I've got the feaver bad. But it's still ins torage with no insurance.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I get pimple faced fetuses who weave in and out of traffic just to get up along side me in order to drop their trans in nuetral and gun their engines.

It happened tonight on the way home when Lunch Pail Pauly drove his Delaware county truck up my ass just to prove it would do 70mph

F-tards are everywhere
Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

BTW back in my high school days we'd toss a hand full of BB's out the window if someone tailgated us Trust me it works
Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by BWS2K,Mar 16 2010, 02:01 PM
I've ahd very similar situations to be Mrclean's experience...just amazing the idiots that are out there. In my younger days I would usually fall pray to their stupidity but now..especially when I'm in my S2000 I just smile and wave. After I've had a little fun messing with them...like writing down their plates or maybe taking a picture with my cell phone. Anyway hope to have my S2K on the raod soon..I've got the feaver bad. But it's still ins torage with no insurance.
Put insurance back on mine for those few nice days we had about a week ago...........

Called them two days ago and put it back on for the year. Crack kills.....

Well I didnt have to call; the girlfriend works for All-State and is my agent. Anyone need insurance We got bills to pay!

Quick Reply: Spring is in the air (so is RR)