Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

So Cold in The S2000

Old 02-24-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Cold in The S2000

I just wanted to ask you local guys what type of coolant/antifreeze you use. Also, could you tell me where I might find where it is located under the hood. I am an enthusiast, but don't know very much about the inner workings.

I also don't understand why my car won't heat up to a reasonable temperature. Supposedly, I had a coolant change during my 60k mile service. Perhaps there is a fuse out.

Can I do any damage to my battery or alternator by letting the car sit for a few weeks, letting the battery completely lose charge? Does this wear the battery or alternator when you have to jump start (recharge the battery)?

Lastly, I wondered if you guys would recommend taking my car up to Ganley for a few repairs/mods. I was hoping to get my tonneau cover fixed (I ripped it off during a fit of frustration last summer), get a 04-05 front bumper, and possibly getting a glass rear window installed for my 01 S2K. I have heard that Ganley does great work, but at what price? Is it worth the trip from Dayton?

Thanks guys,

Matt
Old 02-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Ganley is about the only place I would take my S..but call and make sure you run everything by Jeff/Joe in Parts aka hardtopguy.com so the right people work on your car.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Former Moderator

I only use the Honda antifreeze. I think it was $8 a gallon and it's already at 50/50.

If your car doesn't heat up you could have a couple of issues. Does your car get to operating temperature but not produce any heat in the cabin? In that case you could have a bad/clogged heat exchanger/core. If even the engine stays cool you could have a thermostat that is stuck open. With that mileage my bet would be the thermo.

If your battery goes dead in just 2-3 weeks you most likely have something parasitic in your system that is drawing more than it should. You shouldn't let a battery go completely dead. Keep a battery tender/trickle charger on it for storage. I'd first try to find ot what is drawing enugh current to kill your battery in a few weeks or I'd have my battery tested. With 60k on the clock it may be time for a new one.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I strongly recommend sticking with Honda's coolant. It's silicate-free, and although it's more expensive than Prestone & others you know it's compatible with the aluminum block and all the seals. If you do a search you will find Honds's coolant recommended often.

I'm not at home righ now so I can't tell you where the coolant overflow tank is at but it's easy to find. Follow the rubber hose coming from the radiator cap.

One possibility for not having heat is that your coolant level is low. You could also have an air bubble in your heater core. First, I'd make sure the radiator is full (don't check it with a hot engine) and make sure the coolant reservoir is not empty.

Letting the battery sit for a few weeks shouldn't do much damage since you draw very little current when it's just parked. But a drained battery goes bad much faster than a fully charged battery. If you plan on parking it for extended periods often, consider getting a trickle charger to keep your battery from going bad prematurely. If there's no place to plug it in, consider a solar charger.

Jump starting the battery doesn't damage it, but if you have excessive current coming from the other vehicle, the diodes in the alternator have been known to go bad. If you have to jump your battery, do not rev the engine on either vehicle while they're hooked together.

Why not give HardTopGuy (Jeff Goetz) a call at Ganley and see if he can help you out. You can always get estimates locally as well and compare. They have a good reputation on pricing, and I'm very happy with the price & work they did when Jeff installed my hardtop. I'm not sure that they can help you out with a glass window since it requires either a new ragtop frame or modifications to the existing frame. And you can't just replace the plastic window with a glass one - you will probably need a new top. You may want to consider checking out salvaged yards for a replacement top off a newer car.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Feb 24 2005, 07:55 PM
I only use the Honda antifreeze. I think it was $8 a gallon and it's already at 50/50.

If your car doesn't heat up you could have a couple of issues. Does your car get to operating temperature but not produce any heat in the cabin? In that case you could have a bad/clogged heat exchanger/core. If even the engine stays cool you could have a thermostat that is stuck open. With that mileage my bet would be the thermo.

If your battery goes dead in just 2-3 weeks you most likely have something parasitic in your system that is drawing more than it should. You shouldn't let a battery go completely dead. Keep a battery tender/trickle charger on it for storage. I'd first try to find ot what is drawing enugh current to kill your battery in a few weeks or I'd have my battery tested. With 60k on the clock it may be time for a new one.
....and Ganley Honda is top shelf
Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 AM

I also recommend Honda Anti-freeze.

or homemade anti-freeze (j/king ) !

Old 02-25-2005, 02:24 PM

well to warm up the inside get some heated seats they help alot!!! i love mine! your ass gets warmed up before the car does

my car gets garaged for the winter also, i just start her every once in a while to say hello and make sure she is doing ok and listen to her exhaust :withdrawl:
Old 02-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Those seats would not warm this:
Old 02-25-2005, 02:50 PM

might get to hot! lol....

i love my seats! and the pic that started it lol
Old 02-25-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Luvs2Rev,Feb 24 2005, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to ask you local guys what type of coolant/antifreeze you use. Also, could you tell me where I might find where it is located under the hood. I am an enthusiast, but don't know very much about the inner workings.

I also don't understand why my car won't heat up to a reasonable temperature. Supposedly, I had a coolant change during my 60k mile service. Perhaps there is a fuse out.

Can I do any damage to my battery or alternator by letting the car sit for a few weeks, letting the battery completely lose charge? Does this wear the battery or alternator when you have to jump start (recharge the battery)?

Lastly, I wondered if you guys would recommend taking my car up to Ganley for a few repairs/mods. I was hoping to get my tonneau cover fixed (I ripped it off during a fit of frustration last summer), get a 04-05 front bumper, and possibly getting a glass rear window installed for my 01 S2K. I have heard that Ganley does great work, but at what price? Is it worth the trip from Dayton?

Thanks guys,

Matt
well if your wanting the best price and quality work....Give Lovelace radiator a call here in hamilton. Its about 30 minutes from you. there phone number is 513-863-3600. Talk to "allen" and tell him your a freind of jeff Wilson from Discover Motors, and he should hook u up.

depending on what u want to do about storing your car....ive been storing my lexus for the first time this winter....and so far just going out every week and giving her a good start is working fine for me.