Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Route 26 Drive Concerns

Old 06-14-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should do fine with just a normal cell phone. That way you can reach us from the comfort of your couch in Cleveland!

Seriously though, I would hold off on buying anything just yet. The radios we had didn't seem to like the terrain we were covering very much. I'm going to do some research and see if anything else reasonably priced might work better.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waybrig
[B]You should do fine with just a normal cell phone.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

That's fine.
Based on the posts that were posted previous to mine, it is quite apparent that I made the correct "10/10" rational decision.
Maybe I will see some of you at Fall Colors.
Good Bye.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mocky57
[B]That's fine.
Based on
Old 06-16-2003, 04:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!

Just read the w-h-o-l-e thread. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Obviously, some parts of the run more than some would have liked, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many agreeing posts.

Double-solid line passing: Getting back in just after going solid is one thing...

Triple digits? (I can already see the flame-throwers getting primed) I do not feel uncomfortable redlining 4th(or higher), nor does my passenger. Does that mean this is a safe speed everywhere? Of course not. I drive a major freeway daily. Believe it or not the average cruising speed is 75-80 mph. Going an additional 20% faster is not uncommon. Not saying it's safe, just that it's not uncommon.

Cruising drives with occasional bursts: yes, 10-15 peeps in a group is okay.

Aggressive driving is best suited for 4-6. Again, my opinion.

Eliot(s2ki name: Defender) has an awesome FRS. It's a Cobra, I believe. I will be getting a pr of those... I think he said $100. We have the cheap ones($49.95) and they're not so good. We love going to runs, so the investment is well worth it.

I think the discussion here has been very civil. I was not in attendance, and about it. Because of this fact, I feel my words have less weight. There may have been some questionable(ok... stupid, adrenaline-based) actions, but to say there will no longer be "aggressive" driving in a NE Ohio meet is so.... not sure what the correct word here is.

Off the path a little on this next one: Our first s2ki.com gathering was an aggressive drive. Had I never participated any drives, I probably would have never pushed my car as hard as I have. I learned what it was capable of. Hell, my wife had bruises from the sealbelt in the shoulder area, and she loved it.

Note: This is the same woman that bought PrincesS her Veilside hood!!!

I have never been on a track. Can't wait 'til I can!!! Problem is I fear it will be like skydiving. Once you do it, you're hooked.

I've rambled on enough. I'm sure this post if full of errors, both in grammar and punctuation. I still can't wait to meet more S2000 owners, and you too, WayBrig! And know that I have children ages 10 and 8. I cannot imagine removing myself from their lives or removing someone else's children from them.

Let the flaming begin!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

No flames from my corner! But, lest you get the impression that this whole thing was some big speed-fest with reckless driving all 'round, I thought I'd post a moderating opinion.

Yes, there were times when some got a bit exuberant (to say the least). I saw triple digits once, but only for about 5 seconds while trying catch up on the freeway. There were no cars around other than our line (I NEVER pass any other car with more than about 10mph differential - it's potentially dangerous due to maybe frightening some little old lady, and often pisses people off). There are some straights on Rt 26 with nothing but fields on both sides where over 100 could be safely reached (then hit the brakes after 5 seconds of that since the turns are coming). Most of us never reached that level, though. The moderate group, for example, never exceeded maybe 58 for the second half, since we were on the lookout for a cop that passed us near town. It was a ball, regardless. There's lots of leeway for speed on turns when the limit is 55!

I think that this conversation has been so civil because everyone who went a little over the edge knows it, and recognizes that it wasn't such a great thing to be doing. I think our next run will be just as much fun, and safer because of this thread. As a matter of fact, this thread should be required reading for anyone who wants to join us in the fall!

It sounds like you're the kind of driver who would enjoy this run. I look forward to meeting you.

JonasM
Old 06-16-2003, 06:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonasM
[B]No flames from my corner! But, lest you get the impression that this whole thing was some big speed-fest with reckless driving all 'round, I thought I'd post a moderating opinion.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:34 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip
[B]PS.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip: I think you've brought to light the need for a new S2K T-shirt design: "I survived the Rt. 26 Concerns Thread!"

You sound like you've got a pretty good grasp of what was going on. A little too much testosterone and a rare rain-free day turned into a bit of a wild ride at times.

We're just trying to be a little proactive here and head off any potential problems before they become disasters.

Another forum I used to frequent (ClubSi.com) had a similar thread that would never die. This one was about a young kid who rolled his car and was killed while on a group drive. Haven't been there, don't want to do that.

I feel pretty comfortable that things will be better the next time out. Besides, we have a backup plan: a Hummer will lead the pack!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waybrig
[B]Besides, we have a backup plan:

Quick Reply: Route 26 Drive Concerns