Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Route 26 Drive Concerns

Old 06-12-2003, 11:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious. How can a cafe bike stay ahead of S2k's and NSX's? Didn't you guys blow by that poor guy? Did you stop and let him go by again?

Let me throw out the 1 cent to add to Brad's and we'll finally have our nickel. The grouping by driver skill is a good idea, EXCEPT each year we (hopefully) add new members. There is no way for us to know that person's driving skills. How would we categorize them? They may feel like they drive "aggressively" only to pick the front group and be overwhelmed resulting in male-ego-driven-adrenalin "I've gotta keep up syndrome". This would put them in harms way. The only thing I can think of, and it's not ideal, is that all newbies take their 1st run in the sightseeing group. Only problem with that is, we'll (and they'll) never really know how they would do in a different group. How do they "graduate"?

Brad, re: the start from Cambridge on I-70. I do have one suggestion although it is not related to the comments made previously. When you led group 1, I was leading group 2. You and your group would pass a semi truck and then slow down so that we could catch up. Problem is, when you're whole group caught up, it created the snake effect and the last person in your group was actually coming back toward the truck making it hard for us to squeeze in between your last guy and so on. Make sense? Some people behind me couldn't complete the pass and get back in line because the line was going too slow in front of the truck. You did the right thing by slowing down. It's just that the doppler effect (?) was at work. P.S. Cleveland weather sucks canal water. (had to get that in).
Old 06-12-2003, 11:33 AM

By the way, with john576's post, I believe everyone on the drive has contributed to this thread (unless I missed someone). Which I think is terrific! Thanks folks. Active group willing to participate. It's what makes a good group. The only thing missing from our group is someone willing to bring the Mardi Gras beads.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
I'm curious. How can a cafe bike stay ahead of S2k's and NSX's? Didn't you guys blow by that poor guy? Did you stop and let him go by again?
Even underpowered bikes have pretty good power to weight ratios. This means they accelerate off corners pretty well. They don't corner as hard as most cars, but if you intend to out drag them to the next corner in anything but the Viper, you had better have some distance. The bike will be off the corner before you and most can accelerate at least as well as an S2000.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Mchester

Even underpowered bikes have pretty good power to weight ratios. This means they accelerate off corners pretty well. They don't corner as hard as most cars, but if you intend to out drag them to the next corner in anything but the Viper, you had better have some distance. The bike will be off the corner before you and most can accelerate at least as well as an S2000.
Ah, I see. I'm ignorant about motorcycles. I thought a cafe bike had pedals.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:41 PM

Ah, I see. I'm ignorant about motorcycles. I thought a cafe bike had pedals.
I would never call you, or anyone else on this post, ignorant... I was just speaking as an experienced motorcyclist that has had to slow WAY down several times to allow cars past on tight curvy roads because they had no chance of getting around me if I road "normally".
Old 06-12-2003, 03:20 PM

To clarify my funky jargon: "Cafe bike" aka "Crotch rocket"
It was along the lines of a CBR, R1 or ZX series from what I can remember; however, he was a VERY experienced motorcyclist though and have no doubt he could have passed anyone of us.

My friend bought ~5000 bead necklaces via the internet for a Y2k New Year's party. He picked them up cheap...something like $0.05/ea due to bulk
What I would like to know is, will there be good reason to throw the beads

-John
Old 06-12-2003, 03:53 PM

I would never call you, or anyone else on this post, ignorant... I was just speaking as an experienced motorcyclist that has had to slow WAY down several times to allow cars past on tight curvy roads because they had no chance of getting around me if I road "normally".

LOL, no Monte you misunderstood. I AM IGNORANT about motorcycles. Really.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:07 PM

LOL, no Monte you misunderstood. I AM IGNORANT about motorcycles. Really.
OK, whatever you say, as long as I didn't call you ignorant...
Old 06-12-2003, 04:10 PM

OK, whatever you say, as long as I didn't call you ignorant...
Seriously, I don't know jack about motorcycles. Honestly.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Quick OT question..
What radio are you guys using? Next run, I want to have one with me.
(I'm waiting for Carmen to flame me)

Quick Reply: Route 26 Drive Concerns