Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Rant: Lane Etiquette. This is driving me nuts!!

Old 06-08-2004, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant: Lane Etiquette. This is driving me nuts!!

Why don't people stay in the right lane on the interstate? I swear this has become worse in the past 10 years. In Germany you are written a ticket if you are cruising in the left lane and not passing. 9 times out of 10 it some sheep driving a battlestar sized SUV, oblivious to the fact that the entire highway has backed up behind his/her fat ass.

Driving to FWT this weekend I think I passed twice as many cars on their right as I did on the left.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:37 AM

My sentiments exactly. One of the many reasons why Americans will NEVER have anything close to something like an autobahn--too many lambs, too many "safety" regulations to protect the fools that ruin it for the rest of us, and too many stiffs who'll never vote into existence many of the things the rest of the "civilized" world enjoys (and not just automotive stuff). (>_<)
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

161 out by me is the worst for lane blocking. The flash to pass function on all my cars is rendered useless! I have noticed that these people that are blocking the right lane always look like they are scared to drive. They look like they are holding on the the steering wheel with a death grip.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of years ago, Car and Driver magazine used to rant about "Left Lane Bandits." They made a good point: we paid billions for a quick, efficient Interstate transportation system, and the #$$(&%'s are stealing from us when they take that away. Death to the LLB's!

I guess this is what happens when the welfare state eliminates the effects of "natural selection" on the gene pool...In America, "slower traffic keep right" and "keep right except to pass" are believed by many to be on the same level as the theory of relativity: regular people cannot possibly be expected to understand such complex concepts. Kind of like freshman calculus...
Old 06-08-2004, 03:47 PM

It is annoying isn't it...

One thing that driving on the race track has taught me is to put your car where people can see it. If you want them to move over, drive with your left tires on or over the line to the center of the road (assuming you're on a divided highway) and pull up to withing a couple feet of their bumper. Usually people have their mirrors adjusted wrong (so they can see directly behind the vehicle) and the'll be able to see you. Flash you high beams and nail the horn if they won't move.

At Mid Ohio in April, a girl in a red BMW wasn't watching her mirrors and exiting the keyhole didn't give the point by and move over. That's when I started weaving around behind her to get her attention. Unfortunately all the run groups were running together after the snow. I've had to high beam people as well as use the horn to get them to look behind.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Left lane a$$ monkeys are a dime a dozen in Central Ohio and it doesn't look like it will get any better soon
Old 06-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Kill em all!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had a run in with it tonight....there was a 5 lane hiway (480 between state and ridge) there was this vette just cruisin the exact speed limit in the far left lane....needless to say the other lanes were wide open...didn't make me mad because he wasn't in my way, but it just made me think to myself "why?"...whatever
Old 06-08-2004, 05:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

................"Get some"................
Old 06-08-2004, 06:29 PM

Generally on freeways or multiple lane highways (more than 3) most bets are off which is the fastest lane as far as I'm concerned. Although generally I won't cruise in the left lane on freeways, I might cruise in the 2nd lane over just so there is still a passing lane if someone wants to haul ass. 2 lane highways are the worst though by far.

Quick Reply: Rant: Lane Etiquette. This is driving me nuts!!