Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Parking with the top down.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the car itself?
They can't steal the car without your key or a flatbed. With a flatbed it doesn't matter if the doors are locked with the steering wheel locked and the parking brake pulled. You can winch the car right up the flatbed.

Or what about parts on the car?

The parts they could steal by sticking a screwdriver or pocketknife right through your paper thin top and undoing the lock?

Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly,Jun 16 2005, 04:32 PM
Nothing wrong with being a dickwad as long as you keep your dickwadding to your own property.
True dat G-unit
Old 06-17-2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jun 16 2005, 08:44 AM
I never leave anything in my car to steal unless they want my golf shoes.
What size shoes do you wear?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM

Here is something related to top down/top up and locked/unlocked. I guess it is a case for top up and car locked.

Today I had my top down and went into SportsMart for about 20 minutes after work. I got back in my car and started driving home. I noticed that the car was making a bogging noise, and the exhaust note sounded like a gasket blew in the exhaust somewhere. I pulled over to see what the deal was. Didn't see any issues with the exhaust so I popped the hood. Some dork stole my oil filler cap.

There was a bit of oil on the valve cover and the inside of the hood so I cleaned it up and then checked the oil level, stuffed a napkin over the opening and drove to Immke down the street. I had them change the oil and got a new cap. I was a bit paranoid that they may have also decided to pour something into the engine (water, soda, beer?), so I decided better safe than sorry.

I hope whoever stole it is proudly displaying my stock $10 oil filler cap in their trophy case.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mcola,Jun 17 2005, 08:48 PM
Here is something related to top down/top up and locked/unlocked. I guess it is a case for top up and car locked.

Today I had my top down and went into SportsMart for about 20 minutes after work. I got back in my car and started driving home. I noticed that the car was making a bogging noise, and the exhaust note sounded like a gasket blew in the exhaust somewhere. I pulled over to see what the deal was. Didn't see any issues with the exhaust so I popped the hood. Some dork stole my oil filler cap.

There was a bit of oil on the valve cover and the inside of the hood so I cleaned it up and then checked the oil level, stuffed a napkin over the opening and drove to Immke down the street. I had them change the oil and got a new cap. I was a bit paranoid that they may have also decided to pour something into the engine (water, soda, beer?), so I decided better safe than sorry.

I hope whoever stole it is proudly displaying my stock $10 oil filler cap in their trophy case.
What an FN asshole. Dude, that sux. I hope that guys gets herpes!
A frickin oil cap? Geez.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by mcola,Jun 17 2005, 08:48 PM

Are your sure it didn't just back out from not being on tight enough? Check between the firewall and the back of the engine and transmission. Many a cap has ended up there.

It would be weird that someone would pop your hood in broad daylight, steal your oil filler cap, then close the hood and walk off.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Good point. I hadn't considered that possibility. I took a good look where you mentioned as well as in the rest of the engine compartment and didn't find the old cap. It does look like it would be possible for it to fall through to the road though, which might be what happened.

I felt better when I was pissed at somebody else for this. Now I have to potentially blame myself for not keeping a good enough eye on things. Bummer. I considered myself to be rather meticulous about my car. I'll just have to check it occasionally going forward.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:13 AM

I would just assume that some punk kids did it.

Has anyone ever seen a dust cover for just the passenger compartment of the S, for if you just want to leave the top down all the time? I saw a vette the other day with one of these.

Dave
Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

I've seen a bunch of them, Dave. I don't recall who makes them though. A lot of the owners in the south have them to help keep the car cool.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Hmm, perhaps I'll do a search, thanks.

Another reason I'll put the top up is to keep the seats from getting really hot.

DAve

Quick Reply: Parking with the top down.