Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Ohio Registration Law Question

Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Ohio Registration Law Question

Checked on their website but didn't find an answer to a registration question. Was thinking maybe someone here might know.

I purchased a car in October. I had 30 day temp tags on the car and the temp tags have now expired.

I don't plan on driving the car until March/April so I have no real pressing need to register the car and get a new plate. Is this technically legal since I'm not driving the car? Will I have an issue if I wait until Spring to register the car?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your insurance company may not let you insure it if it is not registered. Also, it only 60 bucks. If they change the registration law to say a percentage of the cars value for the registration fee like out in California, it may cost you a ton more later, than now. Many states switched to this during this year. My car would be almost a 1k bucks to register under the new registration struction in other states and your S would probably be almost 700 to 800 bucks. So why take the chance.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky,Nov 6 2009, 03:13 PM
Checked on their website but didn't find an answer to a registration question. Was thinking maybe someone here might know.

I purchased a car in October. I had 30 day temp tags on the car and the temp tags have now expired.

I don't plan on driving the car until March/April so I have no real pressing need to register the car and get a new plate. Is this technically legal since I'm not driving the car? Will I have an issue if I wait until Spring to register the car?

Thanks
If you do not register it how am I going to steal the SMURF.....
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Motoo

Check with the registrar, but I think the State inacted a "tax/fee" for late registrations/renewals of cars and renewals of drivers license. This was to help balance the budget

Old 11-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that it also depends on where it's parked. If it's on the street or in a driveway, I think it has to have plates. If it's in a garage, no one will know.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The insurance company doesn't care if it's registered, as long as they know it's covered with insurance, in case of loss. A lot of people who own their cars pay total coverage only when the car is driven, not when it's sitting in the garage over the winter months. They also let their registartions expire until they pull the car out in the spring, then renew it for the driving season. Check with the BMV to get the real skinny, but I don't believe you have anything to worry about until you bring the beast out next spring.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Insurance isn't an issue... I'm not driving the car and AHFC only really cares that the vehicle is protected in the event of damage/loss (comp coverage). I don't need liability or collision coverage since the vehicle is not moving (in storage) and the possibility of it striking another object is insignificant.

My concern was going to the BMV in March to register and get plates for the car and be questioned on why I waited until then to get the plates and vehicle registered.

Thanks for everyones advice!

KFed: you going to try to roll out my driveway with a set of 4 donuts? Oh, the center console is coming out this week so you might a bit of a problem getting out since it's in 6th
Old 11-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

says there is a $20 fee if the plate is not renewed within 7 days. this isn't a renewal though so I should be good.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/misc/fees.htm#VEHREG
Old 11-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky,Nov 7 2009, 07:55 AM
says there is a $20 fee if the plate is not renewed within 7 days. this isn't a renewal though so I should be good.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/misc/fees.htm#VEHREG
that's the part that i remember reading about
Old 11-08-2009, 04:53 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Yah... that's for renewals... mine would be for first time registrant. Come to think of it... my 30 days have expired already... and I don't think my registration info has even come from the dealership...

Quick Reply: Ohio Registration Law Question