Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Official Spring Ohio Route 26 Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Official Spring Ohio Route 26 Thread

This will become the "official" thread for the Spring Ohio Route 26 Drive. Please post all future comments to this thread all the way through post-event pictures. Details are as follows:

The Event:

Ohio Route 26, from Cambridge to Marietta Ohio, is known as one of the 10 best drives in the U.S.A. It is 80 miles of twisties and elevation changes; perfect for the S2000. You will enjoy driving through rural areas complete with rivers, forest, farms and covered bridges. This will be the 4th time the Ohio group has made this run and each has been better than the previous. New friendships are made and everyone, from ages 21 to 60, seem to have a lot of fun.

Event Dates and Itinerary:

May 22-23, 2004

The northern Ohio people will meet at Belden Village Mall in Canton at 8:30AM and will depart promptly at 9AM. We will proceed south on I-77 to the Dover/New Philadelphia area. From there we will take 250 southeast. We'll have a quick jog east on 36, then head south on 800. This will take us past Clendening Lake and Piedmont Lake. We will follow 800 to 22. We will take 22 west to the Salt Fork State Park area and proceed to the lodge. At this point we can empty bladders, meet up with the Columbus folks and take photos in front of the lodge and by the lake.

The southern Ohio people will meet at the JC Penny Catalog Outlet Store, 2361 Park Crescent Dr Dk 901,Columbus, OH 43232 at 8:30AM and will depart promptly at 9:00AM. You will proceed east on I-70 to Cambridge and head north for 2 exits on I-77. You will exit at route 22 and head east. Follow the signs to the Salt Fork State Park and proceed to the lodge.

We will eat lunch at the Salt Fork State Park Lodge. For those of you bringing shoppers...ummm...I mean spouses...I believe there is a gift shop there.

After lunch we will proceed back east on 22 and pick up 800 south. We will follow 800 south to I-70 east for one exit. We will pick up 40 east to Morristown for a short bit and hit 26 south from there. Route 26 will take us into downtown Woodsfield. We can stop for a break there and then continue south on route 26 to Marietta. By following this route, we will enjoy a larger portion of Route 26 than we have in the past. (return trip edit: I-77 north to exit for Route 821. 7.5 miles to 145. Right on Route 78 at 31.5 miles).

For those staying at the Hampton, we will check in upon arrival in Marietta. Those not staying overnight should still meet in this parking lot as it provides a central launch point for going downtown to dinner. We traditionally have had ample time after check-in to grab a quick shower.

We will proceed to downtown Marietta for dinner and cocktails at the Marietta Brewing Co. This restaurant has excellent food and has never let us down, including a major, nuclear powered air conditioning unit for hot days.

Lodging: Hampton Inn Marietta, Ohio

I have secured a block of 10 rooms, for the discounted rate of $72/night. The rooms are doubles, meaning 2 queen beds. Each room has a mini-fridge and microwave. The hotel has a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning.

To reserve your room, please call 1-740-373-5353 and give them the following code number when making your reservation - Ohio S2000 Club. This will ensure you are part of our group and get the discount. Make your reservations PRIOR to TBD. After that date, they will release any of the 10 rooms not reserved.

Drive Leader: TBD

Drive Requirements:

Everyone participating must sign a waiver form on the day of the event. For those who are minors (under 21), you must also have a waiver form signed by your parents prior to the event date. This is a requirement of the drive.

Everyone participating must FAX (440-684-3102) to my attention a copy of their current insurance card and drivers license. PM me if you would like to scan and email me a copy instead (preferred).

Drive Structure:

Based on previous experience, we will arrange people into two groups based on your driving experience and preference:

Spirited: You have the age/maturity to not let testosterone get you into trouble. You are very familiar with how your car handles at its limits. You want to focus on driving your car close to its limits through tight corners while still remaining safe. You simply want to enjoy the drive, not prove how fast you or your car are.

Moderate/Sightseeing: You enjoy pushing your car some but you don't have experience/confidence near the limit of adhesion. This group will have its faster participants in front and the slower participants in the rear.

Each group will be divided into blocks of no more than 5 cars. It will be the responsibility of each person leading each 5 car pack to keep their 5 car pack together. If they lose sight, they must slow the group down until everyone is gathered up. FRS radios are highly recommended.

Please reply to this thread which group you would like to be in and whether you are getting a room at the Hampton and I will keep a roster here.

Participants:

Lovetodrive2000 (Mike) - room = no - group = spirited (info)
efthimios +1 (Tim + Danielle) - room = yes - group = spirited (info)
dbjb + 1 (Damien + Lana) - room = yes - group = spirited (info)
Ubetit (Rich) - room = yes = group = spirited (info)

OhioRacer +1 (Carmen + Suzanne) - room = yes - group = moderate leader (info)
Popeye (Steve) - room = yes - group = moderate (no info)
JonasM (Jonas) - room = yes - group = moderate (info)
spt-s2k +1 (Sam + Ron) - room = yes - group = moderate (info)
StrangeDaze (MasterPimp) - room = yes - group = moderate (info)
oshp515 (Brian) - room = yes - group = moderate (no info)
Mocky57 (Motoo) - room = yes - group = moderate (info)
andrewb +1 (Andy + ) - room = yes - group = moderate (no info)
Angela1 (Angela) - room = no - group = moderate (info)
ROGUE3308 + 1 (Ray + Jennifer) - room = yes - group = moderate (info)
Looter +1 - (Denny + Sharon) - room = yes - group = moderate (info)
DBNKY (Dale) room = yes - group = moderate (info)
redy2ks2k (Ed) room = ? - group = ? (info)
juice (?) room = ? - group = moderate (no info)
Old 04-09-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds fun. is the event limited, or can someone in a non-s2k participate as well?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by dbjb
sounds fun. is the event limited, or can someone in a non-s2k participate as well?
Damien, we're usually pretty liberal on that, but let's see how we do with the S2K count first, ok? btw, gf has an S2k no?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Put me down for the front section of the moderate group.

I'll try to call the hotel this weekend.

Once we get some idea of the headcount, I'll call the brewing company for a reservation. Mmmmm,

JonasM
Old 04-09-2004, 10:01 AM

we "share" mine. I'm sure she will come along for the ride as well.

no problem on waiting for the rest of the s2k's. i'm sure my my friend John (blue/white viper) would like to join as well as my buddy with an srt-4.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 AM

I'm in...you hobags

Bluerooster-room=yes Group=moderate
Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm in.
I can either drive my civic and chase you guys down, or I can ride with someone.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Mocky57
I'm in.
I can either drive my civic and chase you guys down, or I can ride with someone.
Please indicate which group and whether you will be getting one of the rooms.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in, will get a room, and put me in the moderate group !!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I can make it, I will be in the spirited group.

Quick Reply: Official Spring Ohio Route 26 Thread