Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

mounting TV above fireplace

Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting TV above fireplace

Have any of you guys mounted your flatscreens above.your fireplace? I'm currently researching this and was wondering if anyone had experience with it, and did you like the final turnout? I've got a 52'' samsung lcd and am not sure if its to big to put above the fireplace.

I recently bought my first house so I'm overwhelmed with ideas and projects to do

Any advice would be great!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Mounting any TV above the fireplace can be done. Getting the wiring up there can be complicated, but it can be done. Not being a smart A$$, but the question you shoud ask yourself, is do you really want to do it.

When watching TV, most home theatre people will tell you that generally the middle of the screen should be at your eye height when you are sitting in your favorite chair. So, unless you have a low fireplace, you will be looking up at the TV. Generally not too comfortable for your neck. Additionally, LCD tv's have off axis (looking up at, down at, or sideways too) screen degredation. Now, the newer ones have very little "fade out" off axis, but it is still there. This issue can also be mitigated by a tilt mounting. I have a Sony XBR, LCD, and notice very little off axis issues, but YMMV.

What I'd really suggest is that you hang something above your fireplace, sit in your favorite chair, and stare at it for an hour. If you don't mind the look up angle, then you should be happy.

I'd recommend AVS forums if you are looking to research the issue.

Hope that helps
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 AM

Have mine sitting on the fireplace mantel. I have a similar size LCD and it works out great for TV, movies, and gaming. Another benefit is my dogs do not interfere with the picture anymore. No problem with the viewing angles as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM

mark, wtf? call me... we do that stuff...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 AM

We put ours over the fireplace because there wasn't really a better place in the room to put it. The only mandatory thing you need to make sure to get it a slim-line mount that will also tilt down. If the screen is facing directly forward you REALLY wont like it. As long as it is tilted down towards your viewing area, you wont even notice that it's up.

You will also want to go FULL HDMI via a receiver that will do video switching so that if you do have to run wires that are visible, there will only be 1 single wire going to the TV. I can post a pic of our setup if you want. The bottom line is that if you do it with class, anything will look fine. We do have 5.1/DTS surround hooked up to it, too...but that all goes through the receiver and not the TV.

Ours is a 50" TV that is probably about 5.5' above floor height at its lowest point and we view it from about 13'-14' back.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Please post a pic!

Thats why im putting it above the fireplace, there was not a better place to put it, and it was the central viewpoint of the room.

Jake, I will call you soon!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM

you want a HDMI UP converting receiver FYI, not just an HDMI one... that'll be useless if you hook something up that's component... check out Denon for a nice one. I recommend the 1910 for starters. I know a couple of people on here Have denon stuff if they want to chime in.

Quick Reply: mounting TV above fireplace