Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Join ROGUE'S SQUADRON

Old 06-03-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Join ROGUE'S SQUADRON

This is my 3rd time on this road, but my first as a Group Leader. So, I PMd Jonas for some pointers. Jonas has given me some great information and I thought I would post it here for those of you who might want to be in my group. I felt a "heads up" about how I plan to drive might help you select a group that best suites your style.

How I plan to lead:

I like to push the twisties a little, gun it on the straights (where I can see the road ahead), but rarely get into 10/10ths territory! My plan is to enjoy the capabilities of the car while still managing to appreciate the scenery. There are many places on 26 where you can not see what is ahead over a a hill or around a curve. These are places where my foot will be on over the break and off the gas just in case. (Many driveways dump onto 26, so I will be looking for folks pulling out at a slow rate of speed. )

I plan to make a strong effort to make sure everyone stays together. If that means crawling along through some great turns, so be it . You will NOT be left behind. (Ranger talk) Scott Evil will be my tailgunner and we will work to keep us all together.

I tend to take it especially easy through towns - even when doing the speed limit, revving at 8K definitely makes the natives restless. We want to be polite guests as we cruise through town. Give the kids on the yards a little thrill, let the adults enjoy the sight. Wave as you go by! No middle fingers...Popeye.

We're out to have fun, enjoy our cars, the scenery and each other's company.

Some more pointers Jonas graciously gave me (And I plan to follow them)

" I don't know your driving style, but I make it a point of lightly tapping my brakes a bit more than usual - mostly as a signal to folks that I'm slowing for whatever reason. Normally I would just downshift & let the engine drag slow me, but people behind you can't easily tell that you're slowing down. Warn them about this so they know you're not hitting the brakes all the time just for the hell of it! Besides, settling the suspension with a little tap works well on roads like 26.

Probably the most important thing outside of safety itself is to make sure no one gets separated. If you slow down often to keep the group together, everyone will feel far more comfortable driving within their limits, knowing they won't get left behind. People won't be pushing hard to keep up. And they will thank you for it afterwards. It contributes to a really enjoyable ride.

There are only a couple places on 26 where someone could miss a turn -pay extra attention in those places & make sure your tailgunner reports everyone through the turn. I remember one sharp right where the road also continues straight where we almost always lose someone. There's a sign pointing right for Rt. 26, but it's easy to miss. It helps if your tailgunner is a GPW or One of the Yellows.

If I know a really fun bit is coming, I'll slow up to let everyone catch up (tell them so on the radio), then be able to gun it without worry, then slow up again at the other side. "

Thanks again to Jonas for hooking me up with some great advice.
He will be missed.
Ray
Squadron Leader

-Squadron List
Rogue3308-Lead
Scott Evil- Tailgunner

Light sabers, Blaster rifles,Thermal Detonators, and Bow Casters are not permitted.
One Wookie per vehicle.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

You folks are going to have a great run! Sorry I have to miss it!

JonasM
Old 06-03-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Very,very good "write-up" Squadron Leader..!!!and thanks to Jonas for the pointers.....
Old 06-03-2006, 08:42 AM

Jonas did all the work.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a good time
Old 06-03-2006, 11:19 AM

Comments like that are why you will not be in my group.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really don't see the need for you to be an @sshole here
Old 06-03-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by efthimios,Jun 3 2006, 07:54 PM
really don't see the need for you to be an @sshole here
Just shut up Tim. Your driving style is too aggressive for my group anyway. So your right, I would be too much of a sissy for you to roll with.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

You should just make him your tailgunner (GPW) and see if he could keep up .
Old 06-03-2006, 05:54 PM

LOL Ok, so I'm showing my newbee stripe, but is this style considerd "spirited" or "enthusiast"? Where is the group for "Old Farts with new cars who are not yet as good as their cars" ? Oh, you mean I have to drive with the Miata group????

I am really going to try and make this run!

thanks,
Dave

Quick Reply: Join ROGUE'S SQUADRON