Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Hail in Columbus

Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail in Columbus

I had such a terrible day I had to vent. Long story short, I was in the basement of the Arlington library today when I overheard someone say "can you belive this hail?" I immediately ran outside and saw the ground was completely covered in hail. Most of the hail was about the size of my thumb and some pieces were about the size of ping pong balls. My car was out in the open and got completely nailed. I haven't gotten a good look at it yet because it was dark out, but I think there are about 50 dents in the hood, a dozen or two in the trunk lid and 5-10 on each of the quarter panels. The third brake light (the one on the trunk) had a two inch section taken out of it and my left side marker was completely destroyed (I had even gotten the clear ones from Rick ). Did anyone else get hit by this?

I will try to post pictures tomorrow when I have some good light. Does anyone have any suggestions for a body shop in Columbus? I fear some of the quarter panels (along with the hood and trunk) will have to be replaced since some of the dents are right near the creases on the 'hips' of the car. Hopefully my insurance won't give me a hard time about it. The only possible upside I can see is that I may be able to change the color of my car to blue or british racing green.

After I post pics I would like hear what people think in terms of PDR versus dent removal with repainting.

-Doug
Old 10-04-2006, 08:01 PM

damn...that sux....

dont know if it will help..but we are having a dyno/dent day in Indiana on the 14th, although it sounds like you may need more then dent wizard!

good Luck

Jakub
Old 10-05-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 263 Likes on 88 Posts

That sux. My friends house got tore up last night in Pataskala, but her car was safe 'cause she wasn't home yet.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 AM

Bad storm, sorry to hear about your car.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that does suck, hopefully it'll all work out
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will be amazed what the dent guys can do. They will be making a fortune for the rest of the Fall. I have seen cars with hundreds of hail dents repaired with no body or paint work.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN, that sucks you got it much worse than I did. I got caught in a some hail a few days ago, but was nowhere near the size of ping pong balls. Ended up with 1 or 2 dents on the trunk lid, 3 or 4 on the quater panels, and 2 on the hood.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by david1,Oct 5 2006, 09:36 AM
You will be amazed what the dent guys can do. They will be making a fortune for the rest of the Fall. I have seen cars with hundreds of hail dents repaired with no body or paint work.

In addition, depending upon the size of the dents, they may work themselves out. This may be hard to believe, but I had a black car that got caught in a hail storm and ended up with many small "dimple-dents" all over the car. My insurance agent said to park the car in the sun for a few days and see if they go away. Sure enough, I could not see them after a few days in the hot sun. The temp may make a difference. I was amazed. Hopefully this would work for you too.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 AM

My car got nailed as well, I don't think as bad as your but its still pretty messed up. I caught a branch or something and it made a tiny rip in the top and broke my lip spoiler in half.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Zebra.

Mr. Clean, thanks for the tip! I will try that (if it ever gets nice here). I did notice one or two dings along the 'crease' that runs the length of the car. Does anyone know if the dent guys can fix something that is in the middle of a bent piece of metal like that?

Thanks again for all the support.

Doug

Quick Reply: Hail in Columbus