Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Goodbye S. Hello SC.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye S. Hello SC.

We decided to get rid of the S2000 so we could have another vehicle that was kid/dog friendly. Something to go along with this:

Test drove everything under the sun.

Ruled out WRX and STI because they just felt too soft for what they were supposed to be. We didn't necessarily need a hardcore barnburner, but if that's what you hold yourself out to be that's what you should be.

Ruled out the Evo because the dealer network sucks.

Ruled out a lot of others because of the price and because we didn't want a luxury car with leather, a lot of creature comforts, etc. Most of my coworkers have BMWs, Mercs, etc - I wanted something different.

Had decided on a Mini Clubman or Mini Clubman S. Went to place the order, and couldn't pull the trigger after going behind the dealership and seeing a lot of color combos. Had they not told us there were more Clubmans hiding out back, we'd have ordered our desired color combo sight unseen. After seeing numerous colors, we decided that we would regret our decision because we'd have to look at the ugly beast everyday. As good as it drives and as good as the gas mileage is, just couldn't do it.

Ruled out the Si sedan because, although we liked the coupe we had prior to S2000, it just wasn't the same afterwards.

I told my wife that I've gotten bored with cars and that I was going to get a Civic LX sedan with a stick and call it a day unless she had a better idea. This is what she came up with:

Honda Element SC with 5-speed manual in Root Beer Metallic - a strange color at first glance, but really nice in person once you get used to it. This car was supposedly one of only 2 manuals remaining in the state of Ohio, and one of only a handful or so in the midwest, PA, WV and VA. Functional, reasonably fun and pretty cheap. Wife loves it, and when she's happy I'm happy (all you married folks know how that goes). Plus, as part of the deal, she promised that I can pick up a nice used example of one these once we get these paid down a bit - time to start doubling those payments:

Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 AM

Looks good Alan!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Very nice!! Look into an Ariel Atom
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 AM

You will love the Element! My wife has had hers since 2004 and will not part with it! We also have a manual and is entertaining to drive.

our biggest fan of the Element:
Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks everybody. My wife does absolutely love it, and I think it's pretty cool too. The dogs haven't been it yet, but I know they will love it the most.

The plan is to keep the Fit and the E until the wheels fall off, which allows for the possibility of an extreme 3rd car (as opposed to daily driving the S2000, which we'd been doing).

The Ariel is on our radar as well, but I've been infatuated with T-Rex's for years so that's my first choice. The Lotus may end up winning out though, due to the ready availability and substantial depreciation!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Time to supercharge it now!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by david1,Jun 2 2008, 09:11 AM
Wouldn't do that to the Element, but thinking hard about supercharging the Fit sometime down the road. With the upgraded suspension, it's definitely capable of handling a good bit more power...
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=nala,Jun 2 2008, 10:47 AM] After seeing numerous colors, we decided that we would regret our decision because we'd have to look at the ugly beast everyday.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM

^Pretty enough to her at least. I'm not crazy about the the looks, but I find it more tolerable than the Clubman and, again, if she's happy I get to be happy too. I think what put us off on the clubman was the rear pillars in contrasting colors. I absolutely love the looks of the regular Minis, but just couldn't find a color combo on the Clubman that was easy on the eyes... Thought about painting the pillars to match the body, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle at the end of the day.

I will certainly miss the gas mileage of the Mini, but the price difference between the Element at $1500 under invoice and the Clubman we built will pay for gas for a couple of years...
Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about the AP2;Rootbeer SC is nice

Originally Posted by david1,Jun 2 2008, 12:11 PM

Quick Reply: Goodbye S. Hello SC.