Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

FITing Introduction

Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FITing Introduction

I do some automotive consulting and today I spent the morning getting to know the Honda FIT. I have recieved a lot of calls regarding this car (Sold 2) and with all the rave reviews and press I had see for myself.

The car that I tested was a base fit (not a sport) equiped with a manual trans and power equipment. This FIT was also fitted ( ) with the optional HFP wheels and bridgestone 750s along with all kind of other add-ons (cargo shield, fog lights, sport grill, etc.).

Initial Impression:
Walking around this cat you can't help but think to your self "damn is this thing small". This is definitly not designed to be a looker. The optional wheels did help, but it is an econobox not a sportscar. The build quality did seem right on and what you would expect from a Honda.

Interior:

The interior is nicely laid out with everything placed right where it should be. The Acura styled guages are leaps and bounds over what other cars in it's class offer. The seating is good for its price point, but not that supportive. The way the FIT's seats fold down in hundreds of different configuration is great. The Pedals are placed perfectly and heel toe action is easily accomplished (amazed at this). Most controls are basic Honda and you guy would feel right at home. The carpet is the worst I have seen in a while, I would rather see rubber floors.

Driving impression:

This could be the best parking lot car I have ever driven. The steering reponse was great felt very performance oriented. Turn-in was nice and the car communicated nicely (the upgraded tires added to this I'm sure). Throttle response was slow, but again this is an econobox. The tranny did not feel as good as the reviews rave, but for a tiny gear box it was not bad. The power was lets say right for an econobox, this thing will disappoint the old CRX boys. Highway cruising at 80mph was a breeze and felt solid.

Would I buy a FIT?
No, although it looks and feels like a well put together sub-compact, that is exactly what it is. I would rather get into a new civic which feels like an Acura compared to the FIT. The FIT is rated at 38 mpg highway while civic is 40 and bested it the city by 3mpg, which I find silly It was fun to drive for the morning, but that was all I needed. I can see why many people will purchase this car, but it is not enough for me and the savings does not warrent a car like this. This car MSRP was $14.5K+ add-ons and a DX/LX Civic is not much above that. I will admit that the gas gauge never moved . To all those who have or ordered a FIT I am sure you will enjoy it.

That is all from this long winded fool!

This car is availiable! PM me if interested, it has around 300 miles.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 PM

i focking love those things...call me about that i might get my GF in that mofo.

the Fit is the newly improved civic WAGAVAN....I LIKE IT!!!

new flavor!

Old 06-07-2006, 03:19 PM

I saw a red one at Honda of Marysville today.Looked nice. I was very impressed with a White/ Tan Civic sedan with body kit and HFP 18 inch wheels they had in the show room. I coul dnot stop looking at that car , it was stunning.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Jon thanks for the review,the price point on the Civic DX issue had me balking at the FiT too.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Jon, nice write up.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 AM

Old 06-08-2006, 06:24 PM

hey, that black one with the work equips looks pretty damn good...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Very nice review. I'm looking forward to testing it out for myself.

I thought about the price, too, but I couldn't see myself in a base Civic. If I started with the Civic, there's no way I'd be happy unless I kept adding until I got to the Si with Navigation. Maybe it's a psychological thing, but getting the Fit with the options I want is better than a stripped-down Civic, and cheaper (though not by a lot).

JonasM