Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Crazy Vtec!

Old 11-07-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Vtec!

Out of curiosity, has anyone experienced this? There is a curve that I always take at the limit of my car's handling abilities because there is a large margin for error, and it's fun. It's nearly a hairpin turn. Normally, i'm in 3rd gear and gently accelerate out of the curve, but today I was in 2nd gear hovering right around 5500rpms as I entered the turn. I drove the curve like I always do, but once the engine hit 6000rpms, my rear end swung out and I counter steered just in time to keep from spinning around.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

VTECing while the car is experiencing "lateral g's" has always had the potential for disaster. I believe this is how many of the "incidents" happen. It is more so aggravated by wet roads, loose surfaces, cold tires, etc. Throw in a curve or corner and your car has even less grip to handle the extra power encountered in VTEC.
On a more fun note: Now that you know what can happen, you can now control it and become a "drift master".
Old 11-08-2002, 06:53 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

During the entire Rt. 26 run last month, I was saying to myself: "No braking in turns, No VTEC in turns, No braking in turns, No VTEC in turns...." A year or so of reading this board has drilled that mantra into me big time!

(OK, technically, it's not VTEC per se that's the culprit, it's the transition that causes the abrupt change in the car's attitude. It's either stay below 6000 for the entire turn, or stay above it, but I feel safer staying below, but close enough to hit VTEC quickly after the turn).

Get's the old adrenaline pumping, doesn't it? The only time I ever put the tail out was on that drive, and I simply reached thelimits of adhesion for that curve, I think (I don't recall doing anything wrong). I still feel my heart pumping....!

JonasM
Old 11-08-2002, 06:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have fun power sliding it. I do this all the time.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:13 AM

Turbo's do the same thing...they'll often cause a car to break traction when they spool up. This is especially noticeable on big, aftermarket turbos that hit late and hard.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonasM
[B]During the entire Rt. 26 run last month, I was saying to myself: "No braking in turns, No VTEC in turns, No braking in turns, No VTEC in turns...." A year or so of reading this board has drilled that mantra into me big time!
Old 11-08-2002, 08:05 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Old 11-08-2002, 08:53 PM

I have to admit, having the tail just swing out on your is really scary until you know how to control it. After you guys' advice, I took that same curve today, except I deliberately caused the tail to step out in order to enter into 4 wheel drift. I think I scared the crap out of this old lady driving a Buick behind me because after the expression she had on her face was priceless after she saw me do what I did. I'll have to go again and try it again at maybe a higher speed tomarrow. If I spin out, there really isn't any danger since there is a very large margin for error, especially since it's a low speed corner with very wide broad sides.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:08 AM

Have fun power sliding. It's a blast. Just remember that public roads are often not uniform or smooth. Power slides can be "unpredictable" on uneven surfaces. Our car is actually pretty easy to control, compared to other rear wheel drive sports cars.

I have fun with this aspect of rear wheel drive combined with a short wheelbase vehicle all the time, maybe a little too often... It is hard on tires though... The price you pay...
Old 11-11-2002, 09:56 AM

I believe that the fact that the wheelbase is so short is what causes it to be a bit more challenging. Entering into 4 wheel drift has never been as fun as when i'm driving a Crown Vic with the handling and performance package which are way too fun to slide into turns with. The biggest challenge is trying to stay put in the seat since there is absolutely no lateral support. What really makes it fun, is the long wheelbase on the Crown Vic absolutely makes powersliding very predictable allowing you to dial in the exact amount of 4 wheel drift that you want with precision.

Quick Reply: Crazy Vtec!