Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Corvette Blue Devil Spy Photos

Old 10-21-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 21 2005, 07:03 AM
what's the fascination with OHC?

btw, the CTS-V is a great sports sedan.
I agree. The LS6 is one of GM's crown jewels. It is one of the best V8's in the world from what I have read about this whole engine family starting back with the LT1. GM could turn this motor into an OHC, but it would not fit in the Vette anymore since the motor would be two tall, they would need to shorten the block and stroke to make room for the taller heads. This would increase HP due to revabillity, but make lower torque. Also, the added parts would add about 75 to 100 pounds due to more head material, cam supports, 3 more cams yada yada yada, not to mention costs. GM does have some very good OHC 6's in the caddy line that are new for 06 and they are very good, but the old tried and true OHV 3.8 V6 has more torque.

OHV can be just as powerfull, it's just not the in thing and all the new high HP V8's (American) are all OHV. They don't brake, need no constant valve adjustments, timing belt replacements, etc. Besides, have you looked at how much space the heads on Ford's OHC motor in the Cobra Mustangs take up! Look at any exotic OHC equipped V8 and look how wide the span of the motor is. You couldn't even fit the Ferrari V8's in Vette and tey are smaller cubes. I would like to see the LS7 in the new 460 and see how much faster it would be.

And last but not least, some of you are to young to remember the GM "iron duke" 2.5 4cyl. This motor was used throughout the front wheel drive GM lines from the late70's to mid 90's. It was OHV and could be heavily modified. 400 HP without forced induction was common in the race Fiero's. I have the book somewhere on how to build this motor and the parts were from Pontiac's parts book.

OK, so let the flames begin.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky57,Oct 21 2005, 09:04 AM
nimesh..
i'm curious on what impressed you about the Vspec? I keep hearing mixed reviews on the CTS-V. A friend of the family (the guy that keeps drooling over Scott's nfr/tan s2k), recently was looking to trade his C32 for another sedan. He test drove the V for a weekend and came back saying it was great power, but mushy handling. He ended up buying a new S4.
Another tennis buddy bought one (owned 3 series before), and loves it.
having driven (on occassion), but never having owned an M3 or S4, i can't really speak to them specifically.

i have owned a 2000 3-series coupe and a 2001 3-series sedan, both with sport packages, and a C32.

the CTS-V was right up there with those cars in terms of ride...sure the handling is maybe a touch mushy (understeer), but it's a caddy afterall....you can't lose sight of that....turn-in was ok, but not BMW razor sharp, but better than the C32 though.

the ride is really good though...firm, but not punishing....as i age, i prefer that aspect of a car.

i've been driving the 740 for the past few weeks (since corky and gumby have my car ), and i'm really liking it....hell, i'd use it as my daily driver if it wasn't for the REALLY lousy gas mileage.....deluxe appointments/interior, great ride, whisper quiet, lots-o-torque, sport button for when i want to firm things up, etc...

there's something to be said for a wolf in sheep's clothing....the CTS-V is just that.

is the CTS-V as "obvious" as an M3 or S4? no...but it's trying.

anyways, all i'm saying is don't discount the CTS-V if you're in the market...give it a chance.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave...

I have heard it all before. For all the reasons you state, there is no North Star under the hood of the vette. Maybe they are putting one in the XLR though (not sure). If GM is ok with the small-block in the vette, good for them. But, what about all of their other cars? The new Impala is not a bad looking car, but drop a heavy small block under the hood with a 4sp auto and front drive? Yea, you have a V8 powered dung pile. Why can't GM put the 280 hp DOHC i-6 from the trailblazer in it? And build a decent RWD chassis and let me shift the gears? That would be a cool daily driver.

I remember the Iron Duck very well. The motor was in everything from Grand Ams to Fieros to Citations. It was loud and harsh and made a gawd-awful sound at high RPMs. Almost exactly like the old GM Quad-4. Power is one thing (and a good thing). But for a daily driver, I would like a little less drama under the hood.

This isn't an OHV vs OHC debate. Just my preference. The debate is, why spend money on another halo vehicle, when the non-halo crap isn't selling?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have that motor in my Trailblazer. It sucks. It is slow to rev, sucks gas, its noisy, and burns oil. I have driven the V8 Trailblaizers and they are much better. Plus the size of this motor is like holy shit! It must be the tallest motor I have ever seen. It won't fit in anything but a truck. Now put the VW W8 in there and now were talking.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Evil,Oct 21 2005, 10:28 AM
I would like a little less drama under the hood.
aren't you contradicting yourself here?

you want a hi-revving motor (OHC) over a low-revving motor (OHV).

which one do you think will have more "drama"?

Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Oct 20 2005, 10:10 AM
I love this concept, the blue devil can have a spot in my garage any day!

Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 21 2005, 10:03 AM
the ride is really good though...firm, but not punishing....as i age, i prefer that aspect of a car.
uh..didn't i see you at the clubs in toronto
aging...

good points btw ..
Old 10-21-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky57,Oct 21 2005, 11:10 AM
uh..didn't i see you at the clubs in toronto?

aging...
you did.

guess what we drove down in....

Old 10-21-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Evil,Oct 20 2005, 01:56 PM
I guess it is my business sense that is most curious. If this was a tuner like Lingenfelter, I would understand. But for a company that can not get the basics right, why plow funds into this? The C6 is a success, the ZO6 is a real statement, why does GM need to make another one, while their sales are off over 50% this month? MG Rover thought like this. British Leyland thought like this. Where are they today?

If GM build a good looking sports sedan with an OHC motor, rear drive and a manual tranny, I would consider it.
GM is also smart enough to know that they have enough loyal and wealthy Corvette crazed buyers out there that if they produce this in truely limited quantities they will sell every single one of them. I say kudos to them for going for it!!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Popeye,Oct 20 2005, 09:35 PM
But the typical new vette buyer and "trader" will buy them up regardless

remember the ZR-1?
Exactly!!

Quick Reply: Corvette Blue Devil Spy Photos