Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Congratulations Gary!

Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, Your S is hot! just get a hardtop and a supercharger and call it a day!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by efthimios,Oct 25 2006, 07:27 PM
Gary you gotta take me for a ride .....I'd like my next car to be a used 996 or possibly a CaymanS....just thinking ahead (like 4 years)
Used 996tt for me all the way!

You picked the best color!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:02 AM

So what are your thoughts on it compared to the S, Is it still as fun to drive? I bet you like the added torque compared to the S
Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Andy, and thanks to everyone for their supportive comments.

I'll post more thoughts once I get some seat time.

Initial thoughts...

POWER:
The car has great power, contrary to all the bench racing that has taken place on the Car Talk forum. The powerband is flexible and the motor strong, pulling harder and harder the more you let the RPMs fly (sound familar?). Not to say it's like VTEC, it builds more progressively. And when the time arrives, where I get used to the power and need a nudge or two more, there is potential in the chip tuning available, the cat-back exhausts, and the intakes, now out. A new power-producing header design is due by the new year. Altogether, the mods would put the car in the 340+ Crank-HP range, according to some initial tuning I have seen posted in "other" car forums. Keep in mind this car weighs only 100 lbs more than the S2000!

HANDLING:
In a word, OUTSTANDING!
Poised and confident, the car takes to turns so well, even novice drivers, like myself, don't hesitate. The normal speeds may bore some drivers, but that's because the car's capability envelope goes so high. With the weight distribution of the mid-engine, rear mounted transmission, the car has a well-planted and balanced sense with no signs of understeer! To give you an idea, I did not think the AP2 S2000 was a car that would understeer, but compared to the Cayman it does. Surprisingly, the car does have a noticeable amout of roll to it with the stock springs. Something I plan to address with springs or coilovers in the near future.

REFINEMENT:
Tying into handling capability, the car exhibits the best of German refinement that is all the more edgy than it is luxurious. Some have posted comments that, to me, have equated to Cayman refinement taking away from the pure driving experience, and I can understand what they mean from one point of view. Going back and forth between the Cayman S and the S2000, I did notice this too. The S2000 driving experiece benefits from its raw execution that many drivers appreciate (more noise, more vibration and harshness transmitted to the cabin that can translate to "feel" and provide the driver more information about what the car is doing and the conditions on its chosen path). However, this is not to say the Cayman S is boring to drive. I characterize the difference as Porsche's different execution of a sports car experience (there is a reason for the $25k price difference). The Cayman S is extremely capable and exiciting to drive, but it does so with refinement that exuberates total driver confidence from behind the wheel.

STEERING:
Precise and properly weighted, although I'm still getting used to its calibration as well as it coupling to the rear-biased weight distribution. I never had any complaints about the S2000 steering, but I can tell a difference with the Cayman S; a difference that I like.

=====
That's what comes to mind so far from the 330 miles I put on the car during my two extended test drives.

I am absolutely loving this car and am looking forward to the great driving experiences that I am sure will result from ownership.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM

looking good
Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 PM

Nice write up Gary. Can't wait till get behind the wheel!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by soundzero,Oct 25 2006, 11:12 PM
Caymen is brilliant. Only thing it is lacking is better engine choices and maybe heavier price tag.

Unfortunately, Porsche will never let this better platform to over take their iconic marquee of 40 years. Because that will be like admiting that they have been working with the wrong platform all along.

Mid rear engine, perfect weight distribution, Porsche engineering and the design. Ummmm.....sign me up.
i completely agree, unfortunately the 911 is the wrong platform. Didnt I hear right that you could squeeze a 996TT engine in it, now that would be outrageous. beautiful car, congrats!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=osu s2k,Oct 27 2006, 01:17 PM] i completely agree, unfortunately the 911 is the wrong platform.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:19 AM

wow, 3.8 with 380 would be amazing, but i bet it has enough power as is. Sometimes, the engineers get the power requirements right from factory. For instance, I really never felt the need to add much to the s2000. I like the weight balance and power as is. Ill have to come out to a lunch to check it out.

BTW, which forums are you surfing on for cayman stuff?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=soundzero,Oct 26 2006, 11:34 PM] Nice write up Gary.

Quick Reply: Congratulations Gary!