Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Clear Bra Installers in Columbus area

Old 05-28-2003, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Installers in Columbus area

My '01 S2K is just three weeks old, and there are already a couple of "wacks" to the front bumper from stones.

So before I get any more, can anyone recommend an installer for one of the clear bras? I followed the thread in the forum, and found some Invica-Shield installers, but no StoneGuard. Any recommendations would be a big help.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have more wacks on the windshield than the paint! I have seen this installed on some cars and I don't care for it. I just keep my distance from others. It also depends on the color of the car on how it looks.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:05 AM

I'm looking into this too... I heard Zeibart did it, but I found a place down south a little of Columbus that installs it. It's the only way to keep a daily driven car half way decent.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:37 AM

Nate,

From what I can find on the net, Ziebart in Reynoldsburg does ClearShield. I asked Stongard for an installer by email, because they don't list them on the web. Invinca-Shield has a guy in Powell at Fine Details, and one in Newark at Auto Trim Design. I haven't contacted any of them yet to see what they charge, or which of the products they use, but I'll post what I find out.

I was hoping someone in the area had some experience with a good installer, but we may have to blaze the trail!

Maybe between us, we can track down someone good.

Gary
Old 06-02-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess I was the Guinea Pig. I asked everywhere for a reputable installer, and was told by a local reputable body shop that Auto Trim Design in Newark was good. I bought the Invinca-Shield kit, and had the guy install it. He called me in the middle of the installation to tell me he was having troubles with it. To make a long story short, he had to re-do some of the panels. I need to take my car back in to replace one of the panels that still has bubbles in it, and he cut out heavily formed areas that he initially told me would be "no problem". Most people that look at my car don't see any problems but I'm disappointed. I had quite a bit done - bumper, hood, mirrors, rocker panels and door sill.

There is some guy in Columbus that is learning how to install a better kit - I believe it was the Dynashield kit, using the same 3M film. He was going to be trained by an instructor on my car, and was willing to give me an introductory price of around $500.00. It was tempting (because I paid more), but I wanted to go with someone that had experience. In hindsight, I should have taken the chance. I can't remember the name of the place where he works, but it was a place that sells bulk plastic films (including the 3M film) in Columbus. The guy's name was "Mike".

For what it's worth, I still think that it's a good idea to get it done. I'm sure that I'd have some rock chips on areas that are covered. You are probably going to have to travel to another big city to get someone that has experience with an S2000. From the way my installer talked, this was tougher than other cars.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:41 PM

So far I've only connected with one of the installers, but the one I've talked to sounds pretty good. He's Andrew Smith out of Powell, who apparently had a detailing shop until a couple of years ago. He came to the house in his BMW M3 which had the Stongard set on it. Very nicely done, and he seems knowledgeable. He had several other connections for leather repair, dent removal, etc. (which I don't need now, but who knows...

He recommended Invinca-Shield, which is 3M, standard kit ($119) for the hood and fenders, and mirror kit ($17). The bumper kit, which I think I want, is $314. He said he can knock about 10% off the kit prices if he buys it, instead of me, so the kits will cost about $405. His installation charge is $300-350, and he'll install the Xpel lens kit ($59) for no charge.

I'm going to call a couple of other installers (Newark included), but I was impressed with Andrew's knowledge. Of course, I don't know s**t from shine-ola at this point, so will try to continue to get educated before I put down $$$.

I'll post again after I talk to some of the other installers.

Gary
Old 06-02-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw this MS up at Quaker Steak and lube last year. You could hardly tell it was there, but still not worth the money to me unless it is perfect. You can buy a lot of other stuff for the S with $700
Old 06-03-2003, 11:12 AM

David1,

Can't argue that it's expensive, but after having spent $725 to repaint the hood on a '95 Acura Legend, and another $200 to repaint the bumper, it doesn't seem like a bad investment to me, especially since the paint is always softer on a repaint.

I tend to drive my cars long and hard - the Acura has 168,000 on it, and it still is a dream to drive, but the front end has taken a beating. Given the cost of the S2000, and given the likelihood that I'll end up having to spend the money to patch it up within a couple of years, the $$$ seem like they're aren't going to be much different - protect it or paint it.

Gary
Old 06-03-2003, 02:29 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Actually, both ggd2 and David1 are correct, but have a difference of opinion. If you plan on keeping your car a couple of years, it makes no sense to install a clear bra. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time and put a lot of highway miles on it, then you have to weigh the cost and quality of a paint job several years down the road with the cost of a clear bra now. Let's assume you had a classic car from the sixties. Would you prefer that it had a clear bra since it was new, and had original paint, or a new paint job?

I've seen a few Miatas that have a few miles on them, and their bumpers look like they were shot blasted. It would kill me to think that my beautiful S2000 will look like this a few years from now. And I've had some bad experiences with paint adhesion on bumpers in the past. To me, there is no other option.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:00 AM

Ok Columbus area folks, this is the best I can get regarding installers in the Columbus area:

- Auto Trim Design Newark (Invinca-Shield) says they don't do the S2000. "It's too hard"

- Quality Window Tint on Morse Road does Stongard. Price is $1,200 Not on my list!

- Ziebart Reynoldsburg - didn't call them. I just can't imagine they have the personnel to handle this. I may be wrong, but I'm going on my guts.

- Auto Tint of Dublin didn't answer, but I left a message. They were not in the business pages last year, but are this year. Looks like a new company. Details to follow when they call me.

- Andrew Smith still looks the best to me, and if I have him do the work, I'll follow up with how it went.

Side note: Took my brother-in-law out for a spin in my "rice burner" last night - he is dyed in the wool Chevy guy. He now calls the S2000 a "Saki burner". Took I-71 north ramp to I-270 west at about 70 mph in 3rd - no urine stains that I can see on my seats, but let's just say, he was impressed.

ggd2

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Installers in Columbus area