Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Can anyone in Central Ohio give me some advice on upgrading the stereo?

Old 05-18-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone in Central Ohio give me some advice on upgrading the stereo?

I went to a local "shop" and explained what I wanted and the estimate I got is $1,300. I am far disconnected from what passes as quality car audio these days and all I really want is to hear my tunes when driving with the top-down at speed. That sounded kind of high. What has everyone else done?

thanks.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Former Moderator

Start with rear speakers in the back panels. If that doesn't do it then I'd go with a new head unit, upgrade the door speakers and throw in an amp.

Even with $3k in your stereo, it's never going to sound great. My car is so loud i drive around with my stereo turned down all the way 90% of the time.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:58 AM

Pioneer DEHP-860MP headunit-$500
JL VR650CSi component speakers (if youre cool with cutting. if not, CXi's)-$300
JL 10W3- $200
JL 500/5- $800 or so

Forget rear speakers. Run the headunit in pro-mode. You'll have plenty of volume for rollin with the top down, and AMAZING sound quality. I've sat in an S with a pretty close setup to this, and it was awesome.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

I ended up with a Pioneer HP560, or at least I think it was (plays mp3 cds also) for around $200, threw in Kenwood speakers in the back... and it sounds pretty gpod.

You can do a lot better, but with the top down, your never going to get real distinct sound. But the head unit and rear speakers made a heck of a difference.

Had put in Sony xplode speakers up fron when I got the car. They helped a little.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced everything. Did door speakers first and wasn't happy. Then did the rears, was almost happy.
Put in a new head unit (Alpine with v-drive amp) and was happy. Now a year later I want more power. I crank my music! Did everything for about $500 bucks.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

a good person to talk to is also pas2knut (Jim). Also,check in the electronics forum..they have a lot of people that have done work from mild to wild (Mikes2k is another good source)
Old 05-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Not trying to be cocky, or an ass, or anything, but you can ask me any question you like. I don't have ALL the answers, but darn near close. I work with Bobby, you may know him. We both work for a pretty decent car audio place. If I can't answer it, he sure can. If you want, I can try and put a $1300 system together if that's what you want to spend.

The reaosn I say the 860 is good is because, A-it has time allignment. This is huge for controlling the sound when your top is down, and dealing with the acoustics. It will help you to get an amazing stereo image that is so balanced you'll think you're sitting in the middle of the car with no doors on. The only draw back is that it only can memorize one time allig. setting, so you'll have to choose good sound for top up or down, average sound for the other.

It also has dual Burr Brown DAC's. Not a HUGE deal here, but those are very nice processors for a 12v unit. Throw in the 13 band equalizer, and the ability for pro-mode (basically taking your front speakers, which have to be seperates, and controlling each driver seperately, as opposed to normal mode which controls each side). Pro-mode allows you to take level adjustments and time allignment to a whole new level.

If you ever have time to get down to Cincy, stop in my store. I'll be more than happy to let you listen to my system.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

trippin,

This is what makes our group great. People helping each other out. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:57 AM

trippin (and everyone)...

Thanks for the feedback. When I get home I will PM you the estimate I have.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need to get a new HU and a new front component system... This will be pretty good unless you want a full on system. I've heard that the rear speakers are usually worthless if youplan on getting a sub... they're aimed at your back

Quick Reply: Can anyone in Central Ohio give me some advice on upgrading the stereo?