Old 10-25-2005, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 24 2005, 06:29 PM
3. you think, sherlock?
just trying to stimulate the forum with food for thought
Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe...

The cash-flow statement is the best way to analyze how a major manufacturer is financially performing.

The accounting rules allow for some interesting interpretation of financial performance and companies will go to great lengths to emphasize the points they want you to hear. In the case of Ford, they very likely had negative cash flow for the third quarter and an operating loss. There was also some "special charges" which Ford will mention, but not include in their discussions.

If your question is: Are they using their current financial situation and the economic environment as an excuse to cut bait here and there, the answer is a definite yes. Ford will be a better company in the end, but a lot of people will lose their jobs. What is disappointing is that the company and the UAW can not seem to work out fair solutions so the impact is less drastic. What I have read is that the Brookpark plant, the Lorain plant and one on the east side (engine plant maybe) are all in jeopardy. That is a pretty nasty blow to NE Ohio.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:00 AM

I would agree, some thoughts are there using the reports to bust the union down to making concessions which will inturn boost profits. It just seems like a business practise to manipulate the books to show situations that are not actually taking place. I guess you can do that with just about any major Corp.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Oct 25 2005, 09:00 AM
I would agree, some thoughts are there using the reports to bust the union down to making concessions which will inturn boost profits. It just seems like a business practise to manipulate the books to show situations that are not actually taking place. I guess you can do that with just about any major Corp.
It's amazing how much I can legally manipulate even our paltry accounting.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Oct 25 2005, 08:08 AM
It's amazing how much I can legally manipulate even our paltry accounting.
You don't have any notes from Anderson Accounting do you
Old 10-25-2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Oct 24 2005, 01:08 PM
Lets take Ford for example...there saying they lost money in the 3rd qtr and are contemplating closing some facilities in NE Ohio yet the company as a whole will make billions.
btw....my Father-in-Law has worked for Packard/Delphi for 37 years...he is currently the Union Chairman there.....time will tell his fate there
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Evil,Oct 25 2005, 08:38 AM
The cash-flow statement is the best way to analyze how a major manufacturer is financially performing.
please explain how?

our co. will make a bajillion dollars this year, but we don't have a penny in the bank.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SanMarinoCpe,Oct 25 2005, 09:00 AM
Think of it this way. ford will flood the media (who is as much to blame) with headlines like "Volvo says Q3 profit up to 369.5 million." What does that tell you? Is that versus last year or last quarter. Plus it probably excludes something special from the prior time period--yet you get hooked by a number. Plus by the time Ford is done applying corp overhead, the number is likely much lower.

Ford and GM have focused their development on trucks and SUVs for 5+ years. Their car lines have suffered heavily. New car product is slow to impress and roll-out. Their business strategy (in north America) has failed to see consumer tastes change. This is the real problem. It is not so much about breaking the union. I personally believe the UAW has lost its way in modern times. The result is that their workforce is over paid and the legacy costs of their retirees has a substantial impact on the earnings on the big 3. I struggle to find a comapriable industry anywhere in the US today that successfully operates under this model. Most have gone belly-up. Look at the steel industry, for example. I blame the company management who negotiates from a static positions and assumes brighter days are always ahead. If the UAW wants to survive, they need to take the high road and demand management changes in exchange for concessions. The Japanese and Koreans are kicking ass at Detroit's expense and the Chinese will be here before they know it.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 25 2005, 11:00 AM
please explain how?

our co. will make a bajillion dollars this year, but we don't have a penny in the bank.
The cash flow statement reports all inflows and outflows of funds. You may have huge sales (cash inflows), but that can be offset by costs, financing, and investments (cash outflows).

No company really wants a lot of money in the bank. Ideally, you want those cash assets to be working for you, for example, build another plant. Your capital/equity position is what must be managed and maintained.

you jerks make me sound like a banker!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Evil,Oct 25 2005, 11:48 AM
The cash flow statement reports all inflows and outflows of funds.
LOL - i know what a cashflow stmt is.....i'm an accountant.

Quick Reply: Business Question for Accountants