Official "Official" Forum All your "Official" threads!

Roll bar/roll cage pic thread.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dressed2Kill,Apr 29 2007, 01:32 PM
Heres you "dead weight" safty 21 bar after a 70+ foot fall off the road. It looks like the only part of the car that held up. Notice how none of the bars broke off and hit him in the head, I would say that that works pretty darn good for a "show purpose" roll bar. I know welded bars are better, but you guys really underestimate the cusco/safty21 bars.

I'm glad that S2000GT walked away safe from this horrendous accident. While I'm heartbroken over the loss of such a top-notch S2000, it would have been a COMPLETE tragedy if he had not walked away from that.

While I do agree with most of you here about the awkward and dangerous positioning of those bolts right above the driver's and passenger's heads, I'd have to say that these pics add proof to the durability of the Cusco/Safety21 rollcages/rollbars. Padding would still be a smart investment if you were to pick up one of these bars. Be safe folks.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Apr 30 2007, 09:25 PM
Safety21 5pt w/ harness bar

What's the weight?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Apr 30 2007, 03:38 PM
Looking at the pictures, I'd say it did. The stock rollbar (which is the windshield frame) is clearly bent while the rollbar is in good shape. If anything it helped keep his head out from the ground. to the rollbar for that

Hope the guy is ok as well!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, mang. s2000gt crushed his s

it was one of the most cleanest s too

Hope he's okay tho'

anymore info for safety 21's bar? what is their site btw?

thanks

jason
Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by XclusiveAutosports,Apr 29 2007, 05:15 PM
That isn't s2000gt's car is it?!?!? I hope the driver was ok.

BTW, nice post... looks like the roll bar held up great , look at the windshield!
Yes it is and I took those pics.

The only thing on that car that wasn't tweaked was the roll bar.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:15 AM

And he was slightly injured but I heard he is doing OK.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I'd like to point out that it looks like the S that rolled over had the Safety21 bar (just going by color).

I would personally suggest the steel safety21 bar, although it's heavier than the chromoly cusco bars (of the same design), in Japan, the chromoly bars are known to be used more for chassis rigidity and weight, over roll over protection. This same source said the chromoly bars crack very easily and suggested me to get the safetey21 steel bar for roll over protection. If i just wanted chassis strengthening, then the cusco chromoly would be good.

Just adding my .02
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clear a few things up:

1. The Cusco and the Cusco Safety 21 cages have the same design, the only difference is material. So the bar routing and locations will be the same between the two.

2. The Cusco cage is chromoly and the Cusco Safety 21 cage is made from a cold drawn seamless steel. (yes seamless, NOT stainless)

3. Either cage does not meet U.S. specifications for MOST events. The Cusco Safety 21 cage comes close, but due to the conversion of metric to standard the difference causes problems.

4. In Japan, the Cusco 6pt with door bars are D1 approved.

5. In Japan, the Cusco Safety 21 cage's meet FIA and many JAF regulations and are used in race events. Unfortunately these regulations are not worldwide.

6. We have sent Cusco the SCCA regulations for cages and they have said that due to the slightly different size requirements, sourcing the material for U.S. cages would be expensive and drive the cost of the cages up. Therefore, at this time there is no plan to produce a U.S. specific cage.

In closing I would like to say that I am happy to hear that the driver of this car came away with minor injuries. I can't imagine how bad it was, even through pictures.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)
Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by cusco,May 1 2007, 10:59 AM
To clear a few things up:

1. The Cusco and the Cusco Safety 21 cages have the same design, the only difference is material. So the bar routing and locations will be the same between the two.

2. The Cusco cage is chromoly and the Cusco Safety 21 cage is made from a cold drawn seamless steel. (yes seamless, NOT stainless)

3. Either cage does not meet U.S. specifications for MOST events. The Cusco Safety 21 cage comes close, but due to the conversion of metric to standard the difference causes problems.

4. In Japan, the Cusco 6pt with door bars are D1 approved.

5. In Japan, the Cusco Safety 21 cage's meet FIA and many JAF regulations and are used in race events. Unfortunately these regulations are not worldwide.

6. We have sent Cusco the SCCA regulations for cages and they have said that due to the slightly different size requirements, sourcing the material for U.S. cages would be expensive and drive the cost of the cages up. Therefore, at this time there is no plan to produce a U.S. specific cage.

In closing I would like to say that I am happy to hear that the driver of this car came away with minor injuries. I can't imagine how bad it was, even through pictures.
what's is the weight different between the 2
Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I was part of the group drive that saw S2000GT's car getting towed away. It serves as a reminder that no matter how good of a driver you are, roads like the Dragon can do terrible things to you and your car. People who say these bars and cages are dead weight have never seen an accident like this. I saw it first hand, and that roll bar saved his life. $600-$1,000 is a lot of money, but after that accident a roll bar or cage will definitely be my next mod. Hopefully Lee's wife will let him come back in September.
The following users liked this post:
lab_rat (09-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Roll bar/roll cage pic thread.