Official "Official" Forum All your "Official" threads!

**Official non-staggered & meaty tires thread**

Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHR!S
those don't look meaty to me, so i'm assuming non-staggered?

couldn't get back into the driveway
more pics!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03supers2k
What I'm disagreeing with is this

Your saying 17x9 +48 with 265 is on stock body is the same as what I'm running with over fenders? You wouldn't prob rub at all especially with -4 camber. I'm saying I disagree it would probably be more aggressive, as the 265 adds 5mm more and the 9.5 in rim adds another 6mm which means your running 17x9 +48 w/ -11mm which is 17x9 +37 which would be more similar to the setup so what I'm saying is a 17x9+38 w/ 265 on stock body is equal to what I'm running 17x9.5+22 w/ 265 with overfenders
Ahh, but going from a 9 to a 9.5 doesn't actually add anything to the offset - the offset is based off the wheel centerline which coincides with the tire centerline, and that has nothing to do with wheel width. Relative to the hub, 0 offset is going to be the middle of the wheel and the middle of the tire.

If I then add +10mm of offset, the wheel and the tire will shift inward 10mm, and that is done regardless of wheel width. Whether I have a 10" wheel or an 8" wheel, the amount of distance moved due to offset remains the same between the two. Thus, relative to the hub, the wheel (and therefore tire) will sit in the same position if the offsets are the same, regardless of wheel width.

Since the hub and fender are not being adjusted (in this example), the tire itself only shifts in relation to the fender via offset changes, because regardless of wheel width the tire centerline will always rely on wheel offset to shift relative to the hub. So, other than pinching or stretching, the wheel has no effect on the tire's position relative to the fender. (0 wheel offset is always 0 tire offset, regardless of wheel width. That leaves the tire at 0 offset regardless of how stretched or pinched the tire is)

By shifting the fender out +25 with overfenders, it's like increasing wheel offset (from the fender's perspective) +25mm (going from a +48 to a +73, as seen from the fender's point of view). So, that makes a +22 equivalent to a +47 (which I think everyone agrees on). What doesn't come into play is the width of the wheel. Whether the wheel is 10" wide or 8" wide, the offset of the wheel is (effectively) +47 (due to overfenders). Increasing the width of the wheel doesn't add any width to the tire (other than reducing pinch), so the tire remains on a +47 offset (because it's centerline will always match the centerline of the wheel, which is only offset from the hub by (effectively)+47)

For reals, check out the will it fit (or whatever it is from above) website and play with it. Only by changing offsets can you shift the wheel centerline (and therefore tire centerline). As long as tire centerline remains the same (offset) from one wheel to the next, width of the wheel is only relevant in how much stretch or pinch is present.

Adding wheel width doesn't add to offset, it only changes front or back spacing.

(edited for clarity)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by lawliver
more pics!

only one for now, more once i get mirrors on the car & adjust the suspension so I can drive it
Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ohGene
Originally Posted by keemaca' timestamp='1302491881' post='20451391
Anyone run a 265 on a 9.5..?
im non-staggered 265 9.5 all around
What's your offset..?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks
Originally Posted by 03supers2k' timestamp='1302569712' post='20455340

Your saying 17x9 +48 with 265 is on stock body is the same as what I'm running with over fenders? You wouldn't prob rub at all especially with -4 camber. I'm saying I disagree it would probably be more aggressive, as the 265 adds 5mm more and the 9.5 in rim adds another 6mm which means your running 17x9 +48 w/ -11mm which is 17x9 +37 which would be more similar to the setup so what I'm saying is a 17x9+38 w/ 265 on stock body is equal to what I'm running 17x9.5+22 w/ 265 with overfenders
Ahh, but going from a 9 to a 9.5 doesn't actually add anything to the offset - the offset is based off the wheel centerline which coincides with the tire centerline, and that has nothing to do with wheel width. Relative to the hub, 0 offset is going to be the middle of the wheel and the middle of the tire.

If I then add +10mm of offset, the wheel and the tire will shift inward 10mm, and that is done regardless of wheel width. Whether I have a 10" wheel or an 8" wheel, the amount of distance moved due to offset remains the same between the two. Thus, relative to the hub, the wheel (and therefore tire) will sit in the same position if the offsets are the same, regardless of wheel width.

Since the hub and fender are not being adjusted (in this example), the tire itself only shifts in relation to the fender via offset changes, because regardless of wheel width the tire centerline will always rely on wheel offset to shift relative to the hub. So, other than pinching or stretching, the wheel has no effect on the tire's position relative to the fender. (0 wheel offset is always 0 tire offset, regardless of wheel width. That leaves the tire at 0 offset regardless of how stretched or pinched the tire is)

By shifting the fender out +25 with overfenders, it's like increasing wheel offset (from the fender's perspective) +25mm (going from a +48 to a +73, as seen from the fender's point of view). So, that makes a +22 equivalent to a +47 (which I think everyone agrees on). What doesn't come into play is the width of the wheel. Whether the wheel is 10" wide or 8" wide, the offset of the wheel is (effectively) +47 (due to overfenders). Increasing the width of the wheel doesn't add any width to the tire (other than reducing pinch), so the tire remains on a +47 offset (because it's centerline will always match the centerline of the wheel, which is only offset from the hub by (effectively)+47)

For reals, check out the will it fit (or whatever it is from above) website and play with it. Only by changing offsets can you shift the wheel centerline (and therefore tire centerline). As long as tire centerline remains the same (offset) from one wheel to the next, width of the wheel is only relevant in how much stretch or pinch is present.

Adding wheel width doesn't add to offset, it only changes front or back spacing.

(edited for clarity)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks
Originally Posted by 03supers2k' timestamp='1302569712' post='20455340

(edited for clarity)
You're not saying that a 9.5+45 wheel sits at the same place relative as a 9+45 wheel does are you? That is in fact false. A 9.5 wheel will sit over 6mm closer to the fender than the 9 inch wheel. Thus, your tire will be closer. Since the stretch of a 255mm tire on a 9 inch and 9.5 inch wheel isn't much, the tire will sit 6mm closer to the fender (and 6mm closer to the inside of the wheel well as well). A 9.5+51 and 9+45 will be equidistant with regard to the fender. But the 9.5 will be 12.7mm more closer to the inner wheel well.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 AM

dat boi,

What wheel/tire sizes does your S2k have? The Enkei shod version, that is.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ITRbroham
dat boi,

What wheel/tire sizes does your S2k have? The Enkei shod version, that is.
The NT03s were 18x9.5 +40 with 255/35/18.
RP03s were 17x9.5 +38 with 245/40/17.
And RPF1s were 17x9 +45 with 235/40/17 F and 255/40/17 Rear and 255/40/17 all around.

And for good measure, these are 17x9.5 +35/+40 with 255/40/17.
My apologies for the crappy pic.
Name:  DSCF1555.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  91.1 KB
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dat boi
Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks' timestamp='1302575280' post='20455607
[quote name='03supers2k' timestamp='1302569712' post='20455340']

(edited for clarity)
You're not saying that a 9.5+45 wheel sits at the same place relative as a 9+45 wheel does are you? That is in fact false. A 9.5 wheel will sit over 6mm closer to the fender than the 9 inch wheel. Thus, your tire will be closer. Since the stretch of a 255mm tire on a 9 inch and 9.5 inch wheel isn't much, the tire will sit 6mm closer to the fender (and 6mm closer to the inside of the wheel well as well). A 9.5+51 and 9+45 will be equidistant with regard to the fender. But the 9.5 will be 12.7mm more closer to the inner wheel well.
[/quote]You're right and wrong, Simmy.

The tire centerline doesn't move between the 9 and 9.5 wheel, so aside from stretch (which I pointed out quite often), the tire itself doesn't shift position in the well (the tread of the tire). You'd be talking about 6mm of stretch at the edge of the wheel, not the tire. So, the bead of the tire may sit 6mm closer to the fender, but it certainly isn't the entire tire, nor even the entire sidewall. That aside, you still cannot add the wheel width difference (divided in half, of course) to the difference in tire width and say that a 265 on a 9.5 will sit 11mm closer to the fender than a 255 on a 9 even if both wheels have the same offset - it's actually closer to 5mm difference (6mm at the wheel) (difference in tire width) because the tires aren't really all that stretched on their respective wheels (sidewalls are nearly parallel with the face of the wheel).

As I stated, quite clearly, aside from stretch/pinch, the tire position doesn't change. So, unless you're worried about the wheel itself not clearing the fender, you shouldn't have any issues. Now, even if you're riding that low, you still don't add the wheel offset to the wheel width nor the wheel width to the difference in tire diameter (which is what I was really explaining).
Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 AM

That's a bit more clear. But I didn't add the tire difference. In my example, I'm using a 255mm tire on both the 9 inch and 9.5 inch wheel. Trust me, from personal experience, a 9+35 with 255/40/17 could clear, but that doesn't mean a 9.5 +35 with 255/40/17 will. This is not at a slammed height either, it was about less than 1/2 inch lower than above.