Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Your reaction to a tailgater...

Old 04-06-2011 | 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senor_flojo
Originally Posted by whiteflash' timestamp='1302038516' post='20432806
You got out of your car to have a few harsh words because a minivan was in your personal space? Who's the dipshit again?

usually I just say shit to myself, but provoking them is just setting yourself up for road rage.

For me I usually start gently swerving inside my lane, they think I'm drunk and back off, works all the time. Unless I'm in the left lane, then I just change lanes.
Old 04-06-2011 | 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
I have been rear ended in my s2000 by a bus, I dont give 2 shits for tailgaters. Ill play with them all day, hitting the brakes and slowing down, speeding up. Only if they are doing it for more than 15-20 seconds. How is brake checking illegal?
Unnecessary braking, unsafe driving behavior, impeding the flow of traffic, purposeful risk of causing an accident. Remember by brake checking if you get hit, you were the first action to cause the accident. It's very illegal and with good reason. It's just a bitch to prove in a courtroom.
Old 04-06-2011 | 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mxt_77
Originally Posted by clawhammer' timestamp='1302049922' post='20433576
Or you could just get out of the way. It's really not that big of a deal and that's what you should have done in the first place instead of holding up traffic. Common courtesy.
That's fine (and the correct and obvious solution) when you're in the passing lane on a freeway, but what if you're on a single-lane road and you're doing the speed-limit or faster? Then what do you propose we do? Or alternatively, what if you're in "the slow lane" and there are free lanes available, but they still choose to sit right on your rear bumper instead of just going around you? Or what if you're blocked in by traffic ahead of and beside you so that you can't get out of the way? These are the only times that I have an issue with tailgaters. If I'm camped out in the passing lane, but I'm not passing anyone... yeah, sure, they have every right to ride my tail. Otherwise, no.

Originally Posted by datdude1119
I have onces slowed down to about 30mph on the freeway and then when they decide to pass me i accelerate so they are unable to. (hoping that they get the message)
That's retarded. So, instead of getting them past you and letting them get on down the road, you're going to put them in a situation where they may decide to get back in behind you and tailgate again? If they were originally tailgating you, I'd assume they want to go faster than you originally wanted to. Once they eventually pull out to pass, just let them go.

I'm talking about someone tailgating on the freeway where there is traffic and no where for me or the dumb ass tailgater to go. I cant count how many times i've let someone who is tailgating me go ahead and get in front, and as soon as the traffic clears up they go slower than the flow of traffic.
Old 04-07-2011 | 06:41 AM

Okay slightly off topic but i need to vent..

A white ford focus picked up speed on the far left lane that was intended for LEFT TURN ONLY.
he was beside me the whole time with little room in front and behind me but as he approached the intersection he just had enough space to squeeze in... oh with me SLAMMING ON THE BREAKS. my lunch ended up on the floor of the passenger side (well with the container sealed )

Question is... How do yo guys deal with people cutting you off intentionally. Since he's in the front you wont be able to throw anything at him... unless its a gun..
Old 04-07-2011 | 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildo

A white ford focus picked up speed on the far left lane that was intended for LEFT TURN ONLY.
he was beside me the whole time with little room in front and behind me but as he approached the intersection he just had enough space to squeeze in... oh with me SLAMMING ON THE BREAKS. my lunch ended up on the floor of the passenger side (well with the container sealed )

Question is... How do yo guys deal with people cutting you off intentionally. Since he's in the front you wont be able to throw anything at him... unless its a gun..
I curse at my steering wheel, then be done with it. Why let it ruin your day? Tomorrow's still Friday, you know? (inb4RebeccaBlack). Life goes on... you got cut off... and? What's there to deal with really? Getting mad about all the could haves, should haves just ruins your life. They didn't hit you; get your seconds of aggitation out and then don't think about it again.
Old 04-07-2011 | 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i slam on my breaks and watch them shit there pants. then i take off
Old 04-07-2011 | 11:58 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
I slow down to the speed limit which usually gives them the message, I don't brake, I just slow down, and they're in a rush to get somewhere so they'll proceed to change lanes and go around me so they can speed.
Same here. Slow down to the speed limit, set the cruise, and ignore them.
Old 04-07-2011 | 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mean mug them haha.

To add to this, I hate it when other drivers cut YOU off and than have the nerve to flip you the bird or mean mug you. Like wtf are they thinking?

I usually pull to the right lane on the freeway (most canadians don't know how to do that - so annoying!!). If they are tailgating me on the streets, I continue going speed limit. I rather slow them down than to have some poor pedestrian struck due to aggressive behaviour.

Rules change when I'm on my bike though, if I'm getting tailgated it's survival mode since cars can't brake as quick.

On that note, do you guys block people in? I kind of enjoy it...(terrible i know, so I limit it) especially when someone is driving really aggressively and you sloooowly close the gap without being too obvious. I'm sure some of you guys do that too
Old 04-07-2011 | 12:30 PM

I use my horn. And when I do have to use my horn I won't off for about 30 seconds. People get so frustrated when you do that. I don't do it all the time so it puts a smile on my face when I'm done.
Old 04-07-2011 | 01:57 PM

I really hate when people think that the space i leave between me and the car in front of me is for them to move into. That and when someone cuts you off really bad, and then proceeds to brake check you for being to close to them. Oh, and i installed the Hella Supertone horns specifically for this reason.

Quick Reply: Your reaction to a tailgater...