Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Your reaction to a tailgater...

Old 04-06-2011 | 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull over side them and slam on brakes like theres a wall infront of me, they downshift and FLOOR it! Leaves them way the hell behind and they also usually piss themselves.
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:09 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

If I'm in the left lane, I get over. If its a two lane road, I wave them by and slow down. If they insist on following without passing, I just drive slower. The last thing I need to do is go out of my way to lecture some random person I will likely never see again, but its also every driver's responsibility to foster a safe driving environment. Obviously that doesn't always happen and whether its you or someone else thats the cause, you should at least be aware of it and what you're doing.

Safety courses teach that if the car behind you is not at a safe distance for the speed, its up to you to slow down until the speed matches the following distance. Even better is getting away from that situation and since you can't necessarily change the other driver, you should focus on what you can change.
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:14 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TAs2k402
Originally Posted by BlackBearTX' timestamp='1302065344' post='20434320
[quote name='TAs2k402' timestamp='1302049317' post='20433535']
Most of the time thats just the way people drive....unless you did something to provoke them. So what I do if they're are unreasonably close is give a good quick slam on my brakes to wake them up and let them know to back off. I don't think I have ever had anyone get pissed at me, rather surprised because again most of the time it's just the way people drive-not paying attention.
Yeah brake checking is kind of illegal, that's why you downshift to avoid doing something illegal.
No brake lights = legal, not at fault in accident.
Speeding is also illegal. Do you still do it daily...most likely. A sudden slow with out brake lights would be more dangerous anyways you think? I'll take my chances rather than getting rear ended
[/quote]

When you brake check you are literally putting yourself in harms way - its pretty stupid thing to do when you think about it, like standing in front of an oncoming train to get it to stop. If you think having a tailgater is bad, try getting rear ended and losing control of your car when you're traveling 40 mph. Its better to just get away from other traffic and reduce the congestion around you, whether it is speeding up or slowing down. All brake checking does is reduce space when you really want to increase it. This isn't about obeying laws, its about being safe.
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:24 PM

All I'm saying is that if you're brake checking you're obviously getting angry over it, I personally get a bit ticked off someone is tailgating me at +5 over the speed limit, or any speed over the speed limit for that matter, so I slow down to the speed limit which usually gives them the message, I don't brake, I just slow down, and they're in a rush to get somewhere so they'll proceed to change lanes and go around me so they can speed.
You can't expect anyone to know the road laws, I always travel in the left lane on the highway to avoid having to tail someone and get more rock chips, and I like to speed, cops don't care much here if you're in the far left lane speeding, but any other lane and its a quick way to a ticket because left is for passing and the rest are not, that's how I got a 74 in a 60 passing someone in the 2nd left lane when I was younger. Whenever someone gets close to my tail I change lane as soon as possible in the left lane, I also tail people slowing down the left lane, and when they ignore me, I illegally flash my brights at them twice quickly, and if they still ignore me, I'll downshift and pass them as they are going 65 in a 60 in the far left lane.
Driving should be fun, not angry, that's why I love owning an s2000. I love laughing at all the ricers trying to do fly bys on me with their body kits and get a good kick out of it, I'm quick to troll any idiot, and my way to do it to tail gaters is to actually go the speed limit because it makes them get off my butt while I get to my destination 30 seconds slower.
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

I put on my robe & wizard hat...
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vadster
Does it add +3 int?
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lvl 8 pen0r of the Infinite.
Old 04-06-2011 | 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
You can't expect anyone to know the road laws, I always travel in the left lane on the highway to avoid having to tail someone and get more rock chips
Haha... was the 2nd part of your sentence supporting evidence of your claim in the first part? LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY. There are even signs for it... you don't even have to already know the law.

There's nothing I hate more than the guy that gets on the freeway and immediately crosses 3 lanes just to camp in the far left lane and drive 2mph under the speed limit just so they can talk on their phone and not have to pay attention to any traffic around them.
Old 04-06-2011 | 01:34 PM

I have been rear ended in my s2000 by a bus, I dont give 2 shits for tailgaters. Ill play with them all day, hitting the brakes and slowing down, speeding up. Only if they are doing it for more than 15-20 seconds. How is brake checking illegal?
Old 04-06-2011 | 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadster

Quick Reply: Your reaction to a tailgater...