Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Your reaction to a tailgater...

Old 04-05-2011 | 08:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
Yeah brake checking is kind of illegal, that's why you downshift to avoid doing something illegal.
No brake lights = legal, not at fault in accident.
Only under very extreme circumstances can you get rear ended and be at fault. And while "brake checking" might be an "illegal" manuever (although I'm still not convinced it would change who's at fault), thinking you saw something on the road isn't
Old 04-05-2011 | 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBearTX
Originally Posted by TAs2k402' timestamp='1302049317' post='20433535
Most of the time thats just the way people drive....unless you did something to provoke them. So what I do if they're are unreasonably close is give a good quick slam on my brakes to wake them up and let them know to back off. I don't think I have ever had anyone get pissed at me, rather surprised because again most of the time it's just the way people drive-not paying attention.
Yeah brake checking is kind of illegal, that's why you downshift to avoid doing something illegal.
No brake lights = legal, not at fault in accident.
Speeding is also illegal. Do you still do it daily...most likely. A sudden slow with out brake lights would be more dangerous anyways you think? I'll take my chances rather than getting rear ended
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:34 AM

I have onces slowed down to about 30mph on the freeway and then when they decide to pass me i accelerate so they are unable to. (hoping that they get the message)
Sometimes i also do the wind shield whippers as well lol
Old 04-06-2011 | 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Or you could just get out of the way. It's really not that big of a deal and that's what you should have done in the first place instead of holding up traffic. Common courtesy.
That's fine (and the correct and obvious solution) when you're in the passing lane on a freeway, but what if you're on a single-lane road and you're doing the speed-limit or faster? Then what do you propose we do? Or alternatively, what if you're in "the slow lane" and there are free lanes available, but they still choose to sit right on your rear bumper instead of just going around you? Or what if you're blocked in by traffic ahead of and beside you so that you can't get out of the way? These are the only times that I have an issue with tailgaters. If I'm camped out in the passing lane, but I'm not passing anyone... yeah, sure, they have every right to ride my tail. Otherwise, no.

Originally Posted by datdude1119
I have onces slowed down to about 30mph on the freeway and then when they decide to pass me i accelerate so they are unable to. (hoping that they get the message)
That's retarded. So, instead of getting them past you and letting them get on down the road, you're going to put them in a situation where they may decide to get back in behind you and tailgate again? If they were originally tailgating you, I'd assume they want to go faster than you originally wanted to. Once they eventually pull out to pass, just let them go.
Old 04-06-2011 | 05:38 AM

Tailgating sucks. We can all agree on that. [up on the high horse]However, a whole bunch of the shit people posted in here that they supposedly do in response is dangerous/stupid/illegal. How about just ignore it and keep driving the same speed you were already? [/high horse]
Old 04-06-2011 | 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebig33tuna
Tailgating sucks. We can all agree on that. [up on the high horse]However, a whole bunch of the shit people posted in here that they supposedly do in response is dangerous/stupid/illegal. How about just ignore it and keep driving the same speed you were already? [/high horse]
While I do have to agree with you, i've seen more than once where an S got rear ended and it didn't look to bad, and it killed the driver and or passenger in the S. If i'm moving at 65-70mph on the highway and someone is a few feet from my bumper, I don't take it as a joke. If someone/something went out in front of me and had to hit my brakes decently hard and they rear ended me, it could easily turn into a horrible situation and someone end up dead. I'm not going to go through my whole life and let people do what they want to me, especially when I feel like my life can be threatend just because they are being a jackass. What I posted on the first page was the worse I have done to anyone and that was because I tried to get them to get off and wouldnt, so they got what they deserved even though a little gravel probably didn't do anything to their big old truck. I always let them ride for a little bit, if they stay there I start braking and try to get them to go around. If they can easily pass me and are doing well under the speed limit and stay on purpose is when I take it offensive.

This debate could go on forever since everyone has a different opinion and view on things. If you don't feel threatened if someone is riding your ass at 70mph, then go on with what you are doing. If you do then slow down and let them pass, easy as that.
Old 04-06-2011 | 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mxt_77
That's fine (and the correct and obvious solution) when you're in the passing lane on a freeway, but what if you're on a single-lane road and you're doing the speed-limit or faster? Then what do you propose we do? Or alternatively, what if you're in "the slow lane" and there are free lanes available, but they still choose to sit right on your rear bumper instead of just going around you? Or what if you're blocked in by traffic ahead of and beside you so that you can't get out of the way? These are the only times that I have an issue with tailgaters. If I'm camped out in the passing lane, but I'm not passing anyone... yeah, sure, they have every right to ride my tail. Otherwise, no.
I'll admit it, I tailgate people on a regular basis if they're hogging up the left lane. In the other situations you described, I do not tailgate. When it's a two-lane road, I usually stay back and give myself room so I can be better prepared to pass once there is an opening in traffic.

I commute 13 miles each way on a toll road that has 2 lanes in each direction. It gets very annoying when someone is holding up traffic in the morning doing 65-70 mph in the left lane when everyone else wants to do 80+
Old 04-06-2011 | 08:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/792..._fromsearch__1
Old 04-06-2011 | 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrse7en
It doesn't happen to me very often but this morning an Odyssey minivan was literally on my ass (1-2 feet) for a good 1/4 mile so I slowed down to below the speed limit and he was still on my ass. We hit a stop sign so I got out of my car and I had a few harsh words with this jerkoff. Some people just drive close to your rear but this guy was literally on my bumper. How do you guys usually handle these dipshits?

brake check. let them hit ya. bad day for them, that is if you have the time. "following to closely" is nice ticket and maybe they will learn not to do that in the future.
I have had one more serious incident when I was in my early 20's and on the juice. I put my elbow through a guys drivers side window, then he drove off. He wanted to stop and have some words, but seemed to have punked out as I approached his window.

my wife doesn't allow me to have my balls in these situations anymore though.
Old 04-06-2011 | 10:26 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I've often thought it would be great to have a remotely operated rear mounted paint ball gun to discourage following too close. J/K.

Quick Reply: Your reaction to a tailgater...