Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

You and Cops

Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6XVWjorVwA
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
Any day when you talk to a cop is a bad day. Avoid police at all costs, short of actually running from them. I've known good people whose lives were wrecked for years because of encounters with cops. They're among the most dangerous people out there.

Absolute truth.

I was arrested and had to stay in jail over night for a felony evading charge that I was wrongfully accused of committing. Basically I sped passed a cop car, I hit the brakes and as I crested the next hill, I never saw the cop car move, so I went about my business thinking I got lucky and passed an empty / parked car. Little did I know, the cop just took his sweet ass time to come after me, and I was long gone and he spent the next 15 minutes looking for me, when he finally did find me, I was arrested for felony evading.

I was a junior in high school, and they tried to throw me in county jail for a year and slap a convicted felon tag on my name for the rest of my life. I was 17 at the time, biggest ass hattery I had ever seen. Luckily my car was NO WHERE to be found on the dash cam so the DA threw the case out.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 PM

I've never had a problem with cops. Never had a ticket, or even a warning. I've been pulled over 3 times in the S and haven't had any problems. One time I was going about 40-50 over the speed limit (stupid I know, you don't have to tell me) and a cop pulls me over. I handed him my liscence and insurance and he talked to me for about 2 minutes and let me on my way. He could have easily arrested me on the spot for several offenses but I talked to him and explained that yes that was stupid, and no I won't do it again, etc etc. Maybe I'm just good at talking my way out of situations like that but cops, at least the ones around here, are generally understanding. Even though it is their job to find any reason to arrest/ticket you, they are for the most part reasonable- that is until you're DUI, then you're f@#ked no matter what cop you're dealing with.

I have found that when people are rude to cops or act offended that they got pulled over, it usually leads to a ticket. In my experience, if you are polite and talk to them like you would anyone else, they are a bit more lenient on you. That said I would refuse a search of my car no matter the circumstances or whether I had anything illegal in it or not. If they ask why, it's simply because I have the right to tell them they can't search my car. If you have the right you might as well exercise it.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 AM

i hand them my cpl with all my paper work and it usually catches them off guard and they will get nervous and let me go for minor infractions. (no front plate, Exhaust, 5 over) bit once i got pulled over going 71 in a 60 and gave it to him. he then pulled me out of the car by my arm after opening my door, told me to put my hands up, asked me where my gun was, took my gun after i informed him i don't concent to any illegal searches or seizures. made me sit on my fender after all this while he ran the numbers on my gun. i thenasked him to get his supervisor out there, and he got him out there. he wrote me 5 tickets (no front plate, exhaust, speeding, no turn signal while pulling me over, and illegally modified headlights, and they were all oem) then his supervisor got out there, i told him what happened and he made the cop throw away the tickets after i said i was going to sue them after this interaction. and 2 weeks later i got a call from the local police department saying they were sorry and that the officer was suspended without pay and asked me to give a statement of what happened so they could investigate.

after all that the cop still has his job. and i see him atleast once a week (small town) and hasn't pulled me over since. just saying not all cops are good and some love a power trip. but most are good.

im 23 with a gun and the cop i guess didn't like that. im still considering sueing.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 PM

You probably have a lower chance of getting shot if you continue driving to a well lit parking lot, and refusing to answer any questions looks cool on YouTube, but I've had decent luck pulling over quickly and politely admitting my mistake. Two personal examples:

Several years ago, on my way home from L.A. late at night with a well worn but quick Saleen Speedster replica, a couple of flagrantly modified imports overtook me side-by-side, obviously racing each other so predictably I gave chase. The Eclipse and 300ZX both hit the brakes as I was catching up, so I shot past, throttle pinned for maximum effect, just in time to see the cruiser on the right shoulder that they were braking for. As the siren came on I was already pulling over, and an older deputy sauntered over wondering why I was clocked over 140 in a 65. I apologized and basically told him the truth: I had just bought the car and on the spur of the moment I thought it would be fun to floor it past a couple of dorks. He had a good chuckle, and once I convinced him that I hadn't been drinking (keep that beer you had with dinner to yourself) sent me on my way with a verbal warning.

A couple years before that, I pulled up innocently beside a city motorcycle cop at a red light on my sport bike, who immediately hit his lights and began yelling over his PA for me to pull over and "don't even think of trying to take off". As I sat nervously with my hands on the bars as ordered, he angrily barked "I bet you don't even know why I stopped you, do you?" to which I honestly replied that I did not. Turned out he was actually CHASING me several minutes earlier, but I was speeding so recklessly he couldn't catch up close enough for me to notice the lights or siren, and eventually lost me completely. It was just his good luck that I came up beside once I had finished hooning and circled back through town to go to work. While my stomach churned he took my info and had a stroll around my beat up and "street fighterized" liter twin, which was itself a rolling violation with loud pipes, expired registration, plate obscured by the rear wheel, non-road-legal lights, and so on. Worse, I hadn't bothered with a California licence or bike endorsement; all I had was an expired out-of-state motorcycle learner's permit. Fully expecting (and deserving) to be hauled off to jail, I was then asked WHY I was riding like that, and after I weakly explained that it was the first nice day in a while and I just got carried away having too much fun he gave me a verbal warning and let me go.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
My last speeding ticket- I think this is the way it should be done.
If possible, pull into a parking lot rather than stop on the street. Get out of your car. This shows the officer that you are not intoxicated. It also shows you have nothing in your hands. Had you stayed in your car, the officer would have probably asked you to step out anyway. Wait until the officer asks for licence and papers before reaching in your pocket. These few seconds after the stop allows the officer to form some hopfully positive opinions of you. The best outcome of these positive opinions could be a warning or in my case a ticket written for much less than you trully deserved.
Get out of the car? Are you trying to get S2000 owners shot? Oh god that's good. I'll file that right behind the claims of Stage 2 clutches...

1) Pull over safest-closest spot possible
2) Interior lights on
3) Keys out of ignition on dash
4) Hands on wheels
4a) Ask if it's ok to take hands off the wheel when asked to retrieve something
5) When the officer asks if you know why you got pulled over, never admit guilt. Always ask to be informed
6) Always use sir, maam, or officer
7) Talk to them the way you would speak to your elderly neighbor; with respect.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
1) Pull over safest-closest spot possible
2) Interior lights on
3) Keys out of ignition on dash
4) Hands on wheels
4a) Ask if it's ok to take hands off the wheel when asked to retrieve something
5) When the officer asks if you know why you got pulled over, never admit guilt. Always ask to be informed
6) Always use sir, maam, or officer
7) Talk to them the way you would speak to your elderly neighbor; with respect.
#5 has always been a toss up for me. I understand admitting guilt is like saying "yeah i did it!", but at the same time, I've heard of officers not liking you playing the "derp i dunno wha i did" dumb routine either.

A cop once asked me you know why I pulled you over right? I said "yeah, I'm sorry", but I actually didn't know exactly why (revving kinda high/loud exhaust or taking a turn a bit fast) and he let me go.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not really a toss up. You think he could be pulling you over for speeding, but he could be pulling you over for a tail light. Maybe you california rolled that stop sign; and he was just checking because your make and model came up as a recently stolen car. You never know, don't assume, don't give yourself up for easy hunting.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"I'm not entirely sure officer, would you mind informing me please?"
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
It's not really a toss up. You think he could be pulling you over for speeding, but he could be pulling you over for a tail light. Maybe you california rolled that stop sign; and he was just checking because your make and model came up as a recently stolen car. You never know, don't assume, don't give yourself up for easy hunting.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"I'm not entirely sure officer, would you mind informing me please?"
"Do you know why I am pulling you over?"
"That depends on how long you've been following me."
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by baZurk
"Do you know why I am pulling you over?"
"That depends on how long you've been following me."
LOL! I like that one. I suppose if you're lucky and get a cop with a sense of humor and not having a rough day, that could add some levity to the situation.

Of course with my luck, I would get the cop whose in the same mood as the last TSA agent I tried to crack a joke with... oops. I got patted down for that one.

Quick Reply: You and Cops