Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

You and Cops

Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath
Nahhh don't get any papers or anything ready for the officer. If he wants them then he will ask. I have been pulled over 7 times and 3 of them I didn't get asked for anything, he just tested my tint and told me to change it to legal tint. Also, to the OP; there are some of us that carry concealed legally and when an officer asks for license I always give him my permit as well. Sometimes they don't say anything about it and sometimes they ask if I have a weapon on me.
Good point. I have a CCW and carry all the time. One error you DO NOT want to make is to blurt out "I HAVE A GUN" or "I HAVE A WEAPON"; that triggers a practiced response from the police that is a hassle for you. In this state you need to respond if asked about a weapon. It is best to lead with "I have a CCW permit, would you like to see it?" then, if needed to follow up something like "and I am carrying" (or transporting as the case may be). I usually don't come out and declare the CCW unless asked.

Sometimes mentioning a CCW even if you are NOT carrying can be helpful as the police then know you have been vetted and are a "good guy".
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I have been pulled over I leave my hands on the top of the steering wheel wait for the cop to talk then say what needs to be said nothing more. Each time knock on wood I have gotten a warning. I feel the more polite you are the better your chances of going home without a ticket. Cops have familys and they are just doing there job yes some can be in a bad mood and this makes things harder. All you have to do is show them respect and they will do the same to you
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

My last stop was 85 in a 55, radar, 2 a.m. Pulled over before lights went on, hands on wheel, window down, interior lights on. Polite. Got a warning. Said Thank You.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
AZH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
My last stop was 85 in a 55, radar, 2 a.m. Pulled over before lights went on, hands on wheel, window down, interior lights on. Polite. Got a warning. Said Thank You.
Interior light on is a good one, as is turning off the car and putting the keys on the dash. The police don't know who they are pulling over, and the more you can do to lessen the potential threat level is often a good idea. I have limo tint on my sedan so I have rolled the back window down too so they can see easily in the car and see there's nothing to hide or be concerned with. I have friends "on the job" and they recommend these steps to me as well. Even if they are in the wrong, treating them with respect doesn't mean you agree with them, but it will make your experience a bit smoother.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Sometimes mentioning a CCW even if you are NOT carrying can be helpful as the police then know you have been vetted and are a "good guy".
That sounds a bit like a leap to me. The approval process to obtain a concealed carry permit isn't the same in all states. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that having a CCW proves anything.

Personally, I can't see that introducing a discussion of weapons --legal or otherwise-- which aren't even present is terribly useful. Best to just be quiet and deal only with what the officer has pulled you over for at that time. Besides, he isn't just going to assume you are telling the truth.

As we know, people with driver's licenses don't always know how to drive. And people with permits to own guns (concealed or otherwise) aren't always "good" guys/gals.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Any day when you talk to a cop is a bad day. Avoid police at all costs, short of actually running from them. I've known good people whose lives were wrecked for years because of encounters with cops. They're among the most dangerous people out there.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1371845416' post='22623489
That sounds a bit like a leap to me. The approval process to obtain a concealed carry permit isn't the same in all states. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that having a CCW proves anything.

Personally, I can't see that introducing a discussion of weapons --legal or otherwise-- which aren't even present is terribly useful. Best to just be quiet and deal only with what the officer has pulled you over for at that time. Besides, he isn't just going to assume you are telling the truth.

As we know, people with driver's licenses don't always know how to drive. And people with permits to own guns (concealed or otherwise) aren't always "good" guys/gals.
If the cops asks if you have any weapons and you respond with " Although I have a CCW I am not armed (or transporting, etc)" that does tell them a number of things.
It means you are familiar with firearms and have more than a passing knowledge of them.
It means you are aware of CCW laws and are far more inclined to be telling the truth concerning weapons.
In addition, the fact you have a CCW means you do not have any disqualifying points in your history such as felonies, history of offenses, mental problems, etc.
In summary, that means you are not likely to be a lying ex con nut case who hates cops and happens to be armed.

Individuals with a CCW commit crimes at a rate lower than active police officers.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
My last speeding ticket- I think this is the way it should be done.
If possible, pull into a parking lot rather than stop on the street. Get out of your car. This shows the officer that you are not intoxicated. It also shows you have nothing in your hands. Had you stayed in your car, the officer would have probably asked you to step out anyway. Wait until the officer asks for licence and papers before reaching in your pocket. These few seconds after the stop allows the officer to form some hopfully positive opinions of you. The best outcome of these positive opinions could be a warning or in my case a ticket written for much less than you trully deserved.
I don't think you should get out of your car immediately and un prompted. A friend of mine got pulled over and was asking if he had any recent tickets, he said no, a few minutes later he remembered he had a ticket come in the mail. He got out of the car and immediately the officer (was looking up his info in his car) got out behind the door, hand on his gun and told him to stop moving towards the officer.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark355
Any day when you talk to a cop is a bad day.
Well, it's definitely not a circumstance you want to seek out, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1371865101' post='22624044
[quote name='cosmomiller' timestamp='1371845416' post='22623489']

If the cops asks if you have any weapons and you respond with " Although I have a CCW I am not armed (or transporting, etc)" that does tell them a number of things.
It means you are familiar with firearms and have more than a passing knowledge of them.
It means you are aware of CCW laws and are far more inclined to be telling the truth concerning weapons.
In addition, the fact you have a CCW means you do not have any disqualifying points in your history such as felonies, history of offenses, mental problems, etc.
In summary, that means you are not likely to be a lying ex con nut case who hates cops and happens to be armed.

Individuals with a CCW commit crimes at a rate lower than active police officers.
[/quote]

I think you previously stated that you don't bring up the topic of the CCW unless the cop asks you, and that mentioning a weapon frequently triggers an automatic response from the LE which may not be beneficial to the situation. So, you basically are agreeing with what I said which is that there is no benefit to *introducing* the discussion of weapons without being asked.

As far as saying the CCW is less likely to be a bad guy (I'm paraphrasing), well, much like cops, I don't care about the statistics. Just like cops assume that all people they pull over and approach could be murderers and thugs (and they treat them accordingly with extreme caution), I assume that regardless of whatever piece of paper someone has been given, they could be bad or good either way. And, like any cop would say, I wouldn't let my guard down with them just because some piece of paper with the government's approval for them to carry a weapon is residing warmly against their butt-cheek encased in leather. For all I know it just means they know enough to be dangerous.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM

One of my favorite videos about why it is *never* in your best interest to speak to the police. It's a long video, but well worth it (it's both informative *and* entertaining too). Probably take as long to watch as to read other poster's comments, but your eyes won't hurt as much. :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Quick Reply: You and Cops