Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Wrongfully accused of speeding

Old 02-25-2012 | 04:53 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by corpuszero
I just want to keep things simple and short

This was on a 4-5 lane highway in Houston, TX.

There was moderate traffic and cars beside/in front/behind me

Speed limit is 65 and I was going 65 on the dot.

Eventually I saw the cop on the side of the road and immediately looked at my speedometer and of course it showed 65 so I wasn't worried.

Seconds later, he pulls up behind me and turns on lights.

Not sure if this bit of info helps or not but I was driving a burgundy 1998 Toyota Corolla

He walks up and tells me I was going 75 in a 65

I explain my side of the story, bam bam bam, ticket written, and its over.

I was in Houston on vacation and am from Baton Rouge, LA

What options do I have?

Thanks in advance!
Get a DVR camera for your car. You can get them on amazon for about 200 dollars, and they are the size of a lipstick. They run and loop over and over, and solve problems like these. Video, GPS location tagging, speed overlay, etc.
Old 02-25-2012 | 06:13 AM

Guys remember your innocent until PROVEN guilty. Meaning they need to prove your guilty and not just "say" you are. If they dont have a radar reading your pretty much in the clear. You can always ask them if they have had their radar calibrated as many dont and therefore even if they radar you its unreliable and cant be used in court.

Goodluck with your ticket, I hate when police ticket you when your out of town just cuz they know it will more than likely just get paid for the inconvenience. Iv been in a similar instance where a cop made up a LEGIT bullshit story and handed me a careless driving ticket.
Old 02-25-2012 | 07:19 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by CR EH
Guys remember your innocent until PROVEN guilty. Meaning they need to prove your guilty and not just "say" you are. If they dont have a radar reading your pretty much in the clear. You can always ask them if they have had their radar calibrated as many dont and therefore even if they radar you its unreliable and cant be used in court.

Goodluck with your ticket, I hate when police ticket you when your out of town just cuz they know it will more than likely just get paid for the inconvenience. Iv been in a similar instance where a cop made up a LEGIT bullshit story and handed me a careless driving ticket.
The problem with that is that in civil court (and traffic court especially) is that the burden of proof is a preponderance of evidence. That basically means if the officer can show that "it's more likely that you did than didn't" you lose - i.e. you drive a sports car and he heard you accelerating fast and seemed like you were going fast. As an "unbiased and trained opinion" his word carried a LOT more weight than yours does.
Old 02-26-2012 | 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by CR EH

Well what I'm worried about is maybe the cop gunned another car and pinned it on me? Does the radar take pictures along with the speed or something? There was medium traffic in Houston so a mistake like that is possible, right?