Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

why do we allow old people to drive?

Old 08-31-2009 | 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxy_s2k,Aug 31 2009, 05:01 AM
I'm afraid you've lost me. I can't believe you are suggesting there's no statistical difference in the quality of driving between those groups of people?
What I am suggesting is that their are bad drivers of every age group. Lumping people categorically into all old drivers are hazards or all young people are hazards is idiotic.

Statistically, drivers under the age of 24 are the most dangerous, dying from an automobile accident is a top 10 cause of death for every age under 30. (I write health risk software for a living so argue with me at your own risk. ) Older people have accidents, but those are typically in urban/suburban areas and involve turning, braking or parking, older people almost always buckle their seat belts, limit their driving to day time and observe speed limits. As mentioned, younger drivers, street race, they also don't wear their seat belts as often, drink and drive, drug and drive, drive on bald tires, modify their cars to look better at the loss of handling, they drive with the radio so loud they can't hear someone else honk or sirens of emergency vehicles (just like the deaf old people), and most people under the age of 45 have a feeling of invincibility that nothing wrong or bad will happen to them. Also there are more young drivers than there are old drivers (let's say that 75+ is older).

Now with that said, there are still dumb@$$es that are rude, talk on the cell phone, drive with their leg and eat a cheeseburger, drive a beater with crap falling off it and so out of alignment it goes sideways down the road, READ the newspaper and other stupid behaviours while driving that they put all of us at risk, STUPID knows no age limits.
Old 08-31-2009 | 06:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, statistically, younger drivers cause more fatal accidents than older drivers. The solution for this problem shouldn't be that they shouldn't be allowed to drive though. The reason for young people in accidents is primarily lack of experience. Yes there is immaturity, distractions, testosterone, drugs, alcohol, etc...but as you get more driving experience you realize what is safe and what isn't. Better education is key, but younger drivers need more seat time, not less, to become less of a risk.

Older drivers, on the other hand, are typically hazardous because of lack of vision, hearing, motor skills, reaction time, etc. This stuff just goes as you get older. It's definitely not for lack of experience. Therefore it is reasonable to test older drivers more often. There are plenty of older drivers that could probably outdrive me, but anyone with deteriorating senses or abilities should be subject to more frequent tests - this group just happens to the elderly.

I witnessed an accident this weekend. The party at fault, imo, was on older couple. The man insisted since the light was green (not green arrow), he could turn left. Not even realizing he's supposed to yield to oncoming traffic. Turned right into a car.

When I first started driving I was told driving is a privilege not a right. I think it's fair for the government to take away that privilege regardless of age. The argument that that is the only way for old people to get around is ridiculous. If the only way an elderly person to get around is to poorly control a 2 ton weapon then they shouldn't be allowed to get around.
Old 08-31-2009 | 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland,Aug 29 2009, 09:44 PM
do they have these same problems in Europe? I get the feeling over there driving is taken way more seriously.
much, much better! But different types of problems.

Lane discipline FFS. Don't crawl off the freeway ramp at 40, jihad three lanes and clog the fast lane. Don't jump your tractor-trailer at 55 into the flow at 80.

In Cali you have the full spectrum of asshats- from prople who don't have licenses driving landscaping equipment with mattresses falling off at 60 in the left lane, to lexus drivers bumper to bumper with SUVs at 75. Young women driving 20 mph in a 40 zone, and kids street racing in stolen hondas through school zones. The best place for senility I have seen is AZ in the Phoenix area, wow.
Old 08-31-2009 | 08:25 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Received 3,549 Likes on 1,918 Posts

[QUOTE=The Raptor,Aug 30 2009, 10:20 AM]Back in the late 80s I was in the gym in Pasadena and my car, a 79 BMW 320i, was parked down the street. This old, old guy, driving a beat up old Ford, trying to park in front of me with no car in front of him, backed into the side of my car twice -- just creamed it. His son came running out of his office right where his car was parked -- and he was old. I told the cop who took the police report "This guy shouldn't be driving. He's going to kill somebody." The cop just shrugged his shoulders. I go back into the gym, finish my workout, shower, and go back to my car. The old guy had backed into it again, knocking it up on the curb. I tell his insurance adjuster at my body shop what I told the cop and he also just shrugged his shoulders. About a month later I see the old guy walking across the street, very near where he backed into my car, stooped over, his torso at a 90
Old 08-31-2009 | 09:09 PM
Banned

I dont think that old people shouldn't drive....

I just think that after a certain age (IE 70ish) you should have to take your drivers test annually to keep it. It would make more money for the city, and keep the safer drivers on the road.

EDIT, I remember when my grandpa was alive, he plowed into the same house 3 times in a 20 year span
Old 09-01-2009 | 04:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Aug 29 2009, 12:40 PM
The problem is, US driving tests are stupid. You drive around the block, parallel park, back up, etc. How does that test whether you can merge onto a freeway or make an emergency stop or lane change?

Really everyone should be required to take a car control driving school every 6-10 years or so, with the instructors authorized to fail them if they don't meet standards.
Best solution I've heard yet.

Bad driving comes at any age. Stricter licensing requirements would get a lot of the bad drivers off the road (or give them reason to improve).

I would have no problem taking a much more comprehensive driving test every few years to weed out the bad drivers. I wouldn't even mind if it cost mroe to get a license to pay for the additional overhead required for this.
Old 09-01-2009 | 04:58 AM

Our economy and the politicians rely too much on people being able to drive. Reducing the number of drivers with no national public transportation system to get them to work and back isn't going to happen, and no politician is going to stand up and say I want to eliminate 25% of you off the roads because I think you are a hazard.
Old 09-01-2009 | 05:31 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Last week i was riding my bicycle to work and was hit by a 75 year old lady driving to the shops. She just didn't see me, even though it was a bright clear day, i was wearing a reflective yellow shirt and was trying to be proactive. It took my body flying over her hood to get her to stop, thankfully I wasn't dragged or run over by her. I broke my collar bone and was rushed to the ER. She was issued a ticket for illegal intersection change. Stricter tests to get your license and cognitive and visual tests for people to keep their license should help people who shouldn't be driving off the roads. This isn't just for older people, but for everyone.
Old 09-01-2009 | 06:09 AM

I ran across these early 1940's statistics:
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT STATISTICS BY "AGE OF DRIVER"
http://www.casact.org/pubs/proceed/proceed50/50043.pdf (PDF page 8)

More Recent Stats:

Pick your State: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/n...EB%20REPORT.HTM
----------
Excerpt: National statistics show that fatalities rose by 7 percent for drivers 75 and older from 1981 to 2000, remained steady for drivers from 65-74, but dropped for younger drivers...

The Purdue researchers found statistically significant differences in the severity of injuries suffered in accidents involving men and women drivers and drivers within three age groups: young drivers, 16-24; middle-aged drivers, 25-64; and older drivers, 65 and above.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70105074534.htm (interesting read)
---------
Insurance Institute for Highway safety
Teenagers: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/teenagers.html
Older People: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/older_people.html
--------
Excerpt: Insurance companies charge younger drivers more for car insurance because they're at higher risk for car accidents. But, research shows age has little to do with the cause.

Missouri's youngest drivers, ages 15 to 25, caused one-third of all accidents on Missouri roads in 2004. The oldest group, ages 61 and up, caused 10% of all accidents...

Source: http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRen...89-37e60d154063
Old 09-01-2009 | 06:16 AM

Quick Reply: why do we allow old people to drive?