Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

why do we allow old people to drive?

Old 08-28-2009 | 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why do we allow old people to drive?

why are old people allowed to drive ? I was on my lunch break from work about to go get some wendy's. I was at a stop light waiting for a green light, I look into my rearview and I notice this car kinda going fast and wasn't slowing down. I tried putting it in first and tried to move out of the way but I knew it was to late and the dude rear ended me. I was like " OH SH!T"

I get out and go to his car to see if he was alright, he seem fine. I look at my car and my bumper is jacked, so now Im pissed , so I ask the guy to pull over into a nearby parking lot. So we exchange info. I ask for his drivers license and I look at his D.O.B. and I was more than shock when it read born in 1919. really wtf ? Why is there a person 90years old driving on the road. On top of that the guy was nearly deaf. I had to talk to him nearly a foot away from his ear to even listen to what I was saying. This is a damn hazard to everyone around him on the road. there should be a law banning all old people from driving on the roads. anyways Im done ranting and Im sure all of you agree with banning all old people.

I will be taking my car into the shop this monday. hopefully there is no frame damage or anything, hopefully mostly just cosmetic.

Old 08-28-2009 | 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least it wasn't my Dad that hit you...
Old 08-28-2009 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by fastD,Aug 28 2009, 06:10 PM
At least it wasn't my Dad that hit you...
why is that? I was suppose to ship my car next week to! I was moving back to the seattle area. but now all that will have to hold off.
Old 08-28-2009 | 06:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bumper man. I'd be pissed as hell too. I think after a certain age, such as 65, you should have to retake your road test annually. I see these old ladies all the time sitting 6 inches from the dash and literally hanging their arms off the wheel at 11 and 1. You can take one look at them and know that they're shit drivers. Not only do they do 25 in a 40, but don't have the wits about them to realize when the road changes from two lanes into one and vice versa.

I do my best to steer clear of Buicks and Lincolns.
Old 08-28-2009 | 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you have this in the states (I'm assuming not) but here in Ontario, drivers who are over the age of 80 are required to take a vision test and a driver's knowledge test in order to keep their licenses. IMO, it's a good idea since it's not excluding the elderly
Old 08-28-2009 | 07:10 PM

Darn whipersnappers always trying to stir up trouble. When you realise the average age of our state and national lawmakers is probably well above sixty and most of them drive, you will also realise that nothing wll ever be done to ban the elderly from driving short of them losing their license for traffic infractions. The AARP is also a very strong advocate for the senior citizens and there aren't many politicians willing to jepordize there positions by taking on this super strong lobby group.
They way I see it we are all going to have to learn to play the game of dodge cars for the forseeable future.
Old 08-28-2009 | 07:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Old 08-28-2009 | 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny too because it never gets adopted because its discrimination...Such BS. First off old people are responsible for more accidents/deaths then teenage drivers for **** sake. Kids make irresponsible driving decisions, old people juststraight up dont know whats going on/forgot/cant see/cant hear and its 10x more dangerous.

Second, saying this is discrimination is the same as saying the marines are discriminating because they only let in people from the age of 18-28. What if a 12 year old wants to join?

Thats not discrimination no, because a 12 year old is not an effective killer and is not fully developed mentally and physically.

Ive had to dodge a van full of 90 year olds one time. Came within a foot of T-boning their car and then about a foot or two away from hitting a Mac Truck head on because that old **** pulled out in front of me. When i went up to his window to freak out I realize their age and didnt scream or do anything. This guy told me his passenger's head was blocking the window. I was coming towards the goddamn DRIVER SIDE window. Im just thinking wow this old motherfker doesnt even know which direction I came from. Theyre so damn oblivious its way too dangerous.
Old 08-28-2009 | 07:21 PM

OPPS- This just reminded me of a law that allows certain drivers declared legally blind to drive. This was in the state of California no less. It may be national.
Maybe things have changed in recent years but probably not.
Old 08-28-2009 | 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=Endo,Aug 28 2009, 11:16 PM]First off old people are responsible for more accidents/deaths then teenage drivers for **** sake.

Quick Reply: why do we allow old people to drive?