Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Why Can't People Admit Their Mistakes?

Old 08-21-2006 | 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Can't People Admit Their Mistakes?

Why is it, I wonder, that people who make simple mistakes while driving are more apt to endanger everyone around them rather than admit to their mistake?

I'm talking about simple things: taking the wrong exit on the freeway, or turning the wrong way on a street.

Today I nearly got to see a car broadside a truck on a freeway offramp. The truck was in the rightmost lane from which it could only legally turn right; the car was in the next lane to the left, from which it could legally turn right, go straight, or turn left. The truck made a left turn from the right lane, directly in front of the car which had intended to go straight.

The truck driver could have made the (legal) right turn, driven one block, made a (legal) u-turn, and continued to his destination without endangering anyone.
Old 08-21-2006 | 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did he play it off like nothing happened or did he wave his hand out in fault.

i must admit if i am in a similar situation and i THINK i can get to the left i may just do it, and if someone feels i have cut them off and lets me know about it i will wave my hand out in an apoligetic way to say sorry. BUT i think i would actually just wave my hand out beforehand and have them let me in and if not, my wave becomes the bird and am forced to make the right turn

edit: woops, i read it wrong the first time. i thought he just merged to the left lane. now i see he cut the guy off to make a 90 degree turn. OK, that's messed up!!

Old 08-21-2006 | 04:36 PM
Banned

a better question might be why people think they can use the road however they see fit? Left turn at mid-block during rush hour on a busy thoroughfare? No problem for the dipshits around here. Apparently the local organic co-op caters to the stupid and inconsiderate :/
Old 08-21-2006 | 04:50 PM

Is it just me or do these idiots never get pull over? I guess to our "revenue collectors", speeders are a better kill?
Old 08-21-2006 | 05:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by CalBear,Aug 21 2006, 04:50 PM
Is it just me or do these idiots never get pull over? I guess to our "revenue collectors", speeders are a better kill?
it's a matter of statistics.
people do really really stupid things maybe once every week.
on the other hand, we break the speed limit at least 75% of the time.

I remember the last time I was cut off like that. In NYC around 1998. Never happened again since then. I have seen at least 10,000 speeders since then.
Old 08-21-2006 | 05:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Some people are just inconsiderate. Inconsiderate people piss me off.
Old 08-21-2006 | 06:40 PM

I say why are people morons! The truck probably had his left turn signal on and to complete the turn needed to be in the far right lane,those things don't turn on a dime. Rather than paying attention to the trucks turn signals the person probably swoped around the left side of the trailer that was probably at least partially blocking the left lane in the first place. i've seen this often enough to know to hang back and let the poor guy in this nearly unmanuverable truck complete the turn saftely rather than gas around him. however if this wasn't the case and he should've been able to make the turn easily from the far left lane with no indication of his intentions then the truck driver was just a simple idiot.
Old 08-21-2006 | 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=exceltoexcel,Aug 21 2006, 06:40 PM]I say why are people morons!
Old 08-21-2006 | 09:30 PM

I wasn't implying such a thing. As I said then the truck drive was just a simple idiot.
Old 08-21-2006 | 09:36 PM

You simply had a lot of "probablies" that weren't remotely accurate.

Quick Reply: Why Can't People Admit Their Mistakes?